Talk About Marriage banner
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Arghus 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I am on the verge of getting a divorce with my husband of 1 & 1/2 years.

I’ve personally saved up a little over $5k into an account. We never shared joint accounts. I know this is chump changed but I’ve been trying to save and put back for rainy days.
Anyways, if I was to divorce, will I be entitled to give him any of what I’ve saved?
You will have to talk to a lawyer about that. Laws vary state to state.

#5 ·
What you saved up is not yours, but marital asset.
All money you guys earned during the marriage is mutual property.
Once you file, you'll have to disclose your bank accounts in the discovery phase.

Better you slowly cash out, and keep it hidden.
Your spouse will ask for bank statements, and will see what you have done with the money.

#6 · (Edited)
Each person on this forum lives in different states, and as we all know, the laws may differ, so you should not be sure of the information provided to you. I can only advise you to pay attention to the prenuptial agreement, perhaps it describes the item that interests you so much. All other issues you should solve directly with a lawyer or even in court. When I divorced my wife, we also had some problems with the division of property. We did not quarrel and immediately turned to Gainesville GA Divorce Attorney | Gainesville Divorce & Family Law. So going to a lawyer is the best advice you can get on the internet. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.