Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what have you accomplished in terms of education?

I have high school completed and have been working towards a degree for the last 10 years or so (sigh!)...it takes so long when doing it part time not to mention that my motivation comes and goes. I want the degree but don't always want to put the work that comes into it. I have a little secret..it has been two years since I last completed a course toward it....I have registered in courses and then just dropped them due to lack of interest and procrastination. Just finding it hard to focus the last couple of years. I just registered for another one today as I really want to get this done.

I am working towards a degree with a major in psych and a minor in public admin. I have about 15 courses yet to go until I finish...

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Hi. I finished HS, and studied theatre after, in college(design/technical). I got knocked up, so couldn't finish the DEC (he'll be 23 this month). A few years and one more child later, I took an office automation course. I have taken a few college courses over the years to keep up with things professionally, but that's it. I never was very academic! I did on the job training as a florist, and that's about it for me ;)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add that I work for the government thus the public admin. minor.

Candie..I think I am the same way in terms of not being academic..I just know that I want to finish it because I have been working towards it for so frickin long...I am also doing it all pretty much online.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I have a college degree and an MBA.

I grew up in a blue-collar immigrant family. College was always one of the main things my parents wanted for me so that I would be able to get better paying and easier jobs than they were forced to work at their whole lives. They were right.

·
Banned
0 Posts
5.5 yrs of post secondary, but i bounced around a lot and came out with a diploma in IT lol.
then i went oilpatch to pay off the student loans and never looked back.

i sometimes think about taking the few courses needed to finish a degree, but it seems like a bit of a waste at this point; other than to have the paper.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I met my husband a few years into college. I ended up quitting both college and job due to hubby's request to stay home and extend our family. I started college late due to marrying early then divorcing.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Besides HS I have a associates of applied Science in Computer Networking, Computer information Systems/ BBA and a MBA in Leadership/Management

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
5.5 yrs of post secondary, but i bounced around a lot and came out with a diploma in IT lol.
then i went oilpatch to pay off the student loans and never looked back.

i sometimes think about taking the few courses needed to finish a degree, but it seems like a bit of a waste at this point; other than to have the paper.
Well it might seem that way but eventually you will need the paper especially if you want to get into management, remember you cant rough neck when your old and wore out and things start hurting like knees, ankles back etc SO FINISH

West Texas Roughnecking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkgTjp9mox0

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have a BA in graphics design\desktop publishing\technical writing.

Husband has a certificate of completion from college for trucking.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Well it might seem that way but eventually you will need the paper especially if you want to get into management, remember you cant rough neck when your old and wore out and things start hurting like knees, ankles back etc SO FINISH

West Texas Roughnecking Roughnecking West Texas - YouTube
rigs are too much like work lol. i've always been on the inspection end of things, working in upstream facilities. (carry this clip-board and try to look busy)

last year i took a management position at one of the companies i provided service for. (i used to be half owner of an inspection company)
now i don't see the field often unless there is a large turn around or high profile/ high priority inspection being completed, then i go out and talk to people :smthumbup:

education wise, i don't rest in any one position though
i've been taking industry related courses since i started and
with my current position, i'm guaranteed more course time than i've ever had leading up to this point (it's a requirement in order to maintain some of my certifications)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm in my last semester of classes in order to get my bachelor's of science degree. I have to say that senioritis is hitting hard and I really just want to be done! Next semester, I have my internship and then I get my degree. I've put in too much time and effort into this, that I can't give up now, even though I'll be the big pregnant lady come May.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have my Bachelor of Science degree with a major in accounting. After college I worked a couple of years as a manufacturing accountant. Later my knowledge was quite useful in managing our own business--at least until my husband had his mega mid-life crisis. Now, I'm ruined!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I became pregnant at 16, finished high school, and took courses to become a CNA during my senior year winter break. My bf (now H) had a full ride so we decided he'd attend college while I worked. He'll have his Phd in May and I'll begin school in 2014. I'm excited!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Because I'm stubborn, I balked at Dad's "bribe" of a baby grand to study music at a good private school in the south. Instead went to a business school in a big city to get out of boonies where I grew up.

Many careers later I'm a project manager and inside sales in a field that oddly combines all of my random past experience from private investigator to secretary. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
I have a BS in business from a well known state university. Emphasis of study was economics. Wife has a masters in communication.

Reactions: Anonymous07

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I have a BSc in Cell Biotechnolgy. The job I have now is totally unrelated to my degree. Hubby has a BEd and a BA and some other designation for his purchasing profession. (CPP I think?)

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I'm a high school drop-out. Had good grades and achieved academically, but the environment of my high school wasn't healthy for me. With other stuff happening in my world at that time, I knew the path I was heading down wasn't good. I didn't know how to turn it around without leaving, so that's what I did. I left.

I started working and went to study a trade. The students were mostly mid 20's-early 30's and it was beneficial for me to focus and be around them. I've worked in different environments since then and achieved. Something I tend to do is pursue opportunities in respected and well-known/branded companies. If I have worked for small businesses, then the clients of that business are well-known and easily recognized. It's helped keep my approach progressive and given me more exposure, as well as helping my resume.

I respect education but I also trust the decision I made back then. Thankfully I've been fortunate.

Reactions: stritle

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I have a few more classes until I reach my Masters but I'm lazy as hell and don't even feel like I need to get it.

My BA is in Sociology with a focus on deviance.

I have my CA Clear teaching credential for elementary.

My Masters is in education, but eh. So boring. I'd love to get my doctorate in history. Someday I will. I love history and would love to teach it at university level.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.