Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
As for "co-sleeping" we did this exclusively for the first 6 months (baby slept on the opposite side of mommy as I did, for safety reasons) and continued to co-sleep occasionally for the next 6-10 months...

By the time he was 2 he was always put to sleep in his own crib/bed. But of course, he would crawl into our bed frequently.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
My husband and I started putting our daughter to sleep in her own crib when she turned 3 months old. Until that point she either slept in bed with us or slept in the same room as us. We do not want to encounter problems in the future with her wanting to sleep with us, but I've heard that it can go either way no matter how young you start them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Our oldest was 5 by the time he got completely out of our bed. Our daughter was about 2 when we started putting her in her own bed. Was a bit rough having her crawl in with us when her baby brother was there. We started with the youngest in his own bed... but then went to co-sleeping, as we did with the first two. Our daughter was officially, completely, out of our bed when she was 4. She still occasionally will come in when she has a bad dream, but those are rare. Our youngest, however, won't leave our bed. He is now 4 1/2. Sigh....

At age 7, I would have a problem unless my child crawled in due to bad dreams or being extremely sick.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
This subject is so subjective to details. Their's a huge difference based on culture as well as a difference between "on occasion" versus "every night".

Personally I think it's better to lay down with them in their bed rather than bring them to yours even at young ages like 1 or 2. Now if they wake up and come get in bed with you then I'm not nearly as hard core about it (5,6,7,8, whatever).

I'm not sure exactly why but I feel like them knowing their bed is where they go to sleep is important for their development even if mom or dad tucks them in sometime. Some disagree.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
My girls both have their own beds, but we're pretty flexible about sleep in our house. Usually I'll lay down with both, reading, cuddling and singing until they're asleep, then get up. I go to sleep in my bed and then get in with whoever wakes up, usually the three year old.

If someone's sick or too noisy, the other one might go and hop in with my husband, although that's rare.

I'll do this for as long as they want/need. I have lots of memories of being really scared when going to sleep and if I woke up in the night, but I was rarely allowed to sleep with my parents.

Lots of adults sleep better with another person they love. Why would it be different for children?

·
Banned
296 Posts
Our 5 year old and 10 month I'll old sleeps between my wife and I ...... we know the 5 year old will soon need to sleep in his own bed soon but when the time comes he will.

I figured with him sleeping right next to me I've been able to kiss and hug him dozens of extra times throughout the years so I figured its been ' bonus ' quailty time for us qns am not worried at all :)

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
My son always had his own bed and that's where he slept. Of course I didn't mind him snuggling in besides me in the mornings, or if he woke up after having had a nightmare, but my bed was always my bed.

Reactions: Thundarr

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Never. The children had their own beds from Day 1. I don't recall any of them having nightmares, so they never ended up in our bed from that either.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Rarely....if you want to sleep. Or, that's at least how I look at it. When they were infants, I was in fear of them rolling off or me squishing them. When they were toddlers, I felt like they were heaters. During grade school, their knees and elbows would jab me.

Mine almost never did-maybe a storm or nightmare. In JH or HS, I'd invite them when my husband was gone. Sometimes they would make a pallet on the floor and sleep in my room. We had some of our best conversations during that time!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
What intrigues me about the 'family bed' scenario is what the couple do if they wake up feeling amorous? Do they sneak away to the child's bed?

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Not a fan of the family bed however my youngest did sleep in our room for 3 years (the crib was in our room). It was either this or not sleep. I chose to sleep. We transitioned her out once she got into a big bed and that was the end of that.

We snuck away to the playroom when we felt amorous. It really wasn't a big deal. We just made it work. She's 7 now and those days are nothing but a vague memory now. :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
We did family bed/attachment parenting. When they were very young, we had a co-sleeper in our bedrooms. We never had problems getting them to sleep through the night. They were/are champion sleepers. By the age of 5, they were in their own beds in their own rooms, but if early morning they wanted to sneak into our bed for a few hours, we don't mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lots of adults sleep better with another person they love. Why would it be different for children?
That's it right there.

I used to fret that our then four-year old still slept with us, but when he was ready, he moved into his own bed (always set up and waiting for him) and was content thereafter.

I think kids will move out when they're developmentally ready, but I also think it's not harming anything to start them out in their own bed, as long as they learn that comfort is always available to them when they need it.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I dont think children should ever be forbidden to crawl in with their parents if they need to. We had a family cuddle Christmas morning this year - my boys are 21 and 23!! They still like to snuggle once in a while :) Granted we were all drinking coffee with Baileys :)

My daughter has anxiety issues and has been known to crawl in with me on occasion even now - she's 18. I end up in the middle. For a while she slept on the floor beside me, and when hubby and I were split in 2010 she slept with me most nights.

I didn't do the cosleeping thing when they were little, except with my daughter. But they've always been allowed to come in at night if they wanted to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.