Talk About Marriage banner

901 - 920 of 1168 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
Still don’t care to share what the placebo was and the dosages? Haha, that’s some funny stuff right there.
In most of these studies the placebo is the adjunct substance that the actual drug is associated with, that is it is every inactive ingredient you would find in the test medication minus the actual substance itself. Dosages are kept the same for the adjuncts as they would be for the mediation. The medication is in terms of mg/ml if given in liquid form or simply mg if given in oral form.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Based on the science, which you keeping quoting, a physician is not likely to prescribe hydroxycholoroquine for a COVID-19 patient. That is the best practice at the moment
Nice dodge.

Are you an MD? How much clinical experience do you have? Have you treated people with Covid19? There are literally thousands of MDs worldwide who have treated many patients and had very good results with HCQ. Are you saying they should be banned from using it?

The fact that some docs today wouldn't prescribe it, because there is something else they think is better, is besides the point. If a doc thinks it is best for his patient he should be able to use it and talk about it without being pilloried or his license taken away.

Based on science, there are indeed a lot of studies which do show good results. While this doesn't meet your sky high gold standard, it is nevertheless valid data. Imperfect and subject to a long future of looking back to analyze it. Yet today there is real science which shows for some people in certain circumstances HCQ is a favorable treatment.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In most of these studies the placebo is the adjunct substance that the actual drug is associated with, that is it is every inactive ingredient you would find in the test medication minus the actual substance itself. Dosages are kept the same for the adjuncts as they would be for the mediation. The medication is in terms of mg/ml if given in liquid form or simply mg if given in oral form.
I’m not asking about most studies, just the ones you shared. What was the placebo? Got links?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
2 big points:

1. Hospitals slowed down their usage of it prior to the FDA removal of authorization. So they were not stopping because the FDA, they were stopping because it was not working.
2. Before they slowed down in using it, if it worked so well, why did the 2000% increase in usage increase over 2019 not cure people? They were all still dying at the same rate as everywhere else and before and after they stopped using it.

@Slow Hand what is ffunny is that if you care so much, you can go look it up, but yet you dont.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
@Slow Hand here you go btw: Placebo folate tablets, which were similar in appearance to the hydroxychloroquine tablets, were prescribed as an identical regimen for the control group.

It is super easy to find, click link, crtl-F, placebo, then find next until you get to the line that says what it is.

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
The fact that some docs today wouldn't prescribe it, because there is something else they think is better, is besides the point. If a doc thinks it is best for his patient he should be able to use it and talk about it without being pilloried or his license taken away.
How is it besides the point? Isn’t your point that physicians are not using based on political pressure? Or do you think maybe there are medications with a better efficacy? Best practices.

Based on science, there are indeed a lot of studies which do show good results. While this doesn't meet your sky high gold standard, it is nevertheless valid data. Imperfect and subject to a long future of looking back to analyze it. Yet today there is real science which shows for some people in certain circumstances HCQ is a favorable treatment.
I am done after repeating this for the 1000x... The studies you are referring to are retrospective studies and not double blind controlled studies. There is no high standard, the double blind controlled studies (plural) have shown hydroxycholoroquine to be just slightly better than the placebo. That is not a standard that is something is not worth using when there are other products that have at least shown some efficacy. Do you really not understand?

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
@Slow Hand here you go btw: Placebo folate tablets, which were similar in appearance to the hydroxychloroquine tablets, were prescribed as an identical regimen for the control group.

It is super easy to find, click link, crtl-F, placebo, then find next until you get to the line that says what it is.
Vitamin B... same as what you might see in a low dosage pre-natal vitamin.

·
Registered
589 Posts
2 big points:

1. Hospitals slowed down their usage of it prior to the FDA removal of authorization. So they were not stopping because the FDA, they were stopping because it was not working.
2. Before they slowed down in using it, if it worked so well, why did the 2000% increase in usage increase over 2019 not cure people? They were all still dying at the same rate as everywhere else and before and after they stopped using it.

@Slow Hand what is ffunny is that if you care so much, you can go look it up, but yet you dont.
Thank you 😊

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Nice dodge.

Are you an MD? How much clinical experience do you have? Have you treated people with Covid19? There are literally thousands of MDs worldwide who have treated many patients and had very good results with HCQ.
What do you mean by this? That some of the patients who received it recovered? B/c in the studies some patients who got placebos recovered. A clinician isn't organized to run a double blind trial, any more than a truck driver is set up to rigorously rate the durability of different truck parts. Either may have an opinion based upon experience, but a testing lab is going to be able to more authoritatively rate the durability of, say, brake shoes.
... but there is better science that shows it is not. It's well and good to point out that Acme truck line, which uses ABC brakes, needed to replace them less often than their competitor who used XYZ brakes, but once a testing lab shows that under identical circumstances they wear out just as fast, the first result is obsolete.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Fake.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Dang y'all. I'd hate to have a cure for cancer and have Trump endorse it. That'd be the kiss of death for sure.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's well and good to point out that Acme truck line, which uses ABC brakes, needed to replace them less often than their competitor who used XYZ brakes, but once a testing lab shows that under identical circumstances they wear out just as fast, the first result is obsolete.
At first glance, I'd have to conclude that Acme drivers are better than their competitors drivers. I hope I'm not accused of making a racial statement by the competitor. Or maybe the lab was negligent or biased towards ABC Brake Parts, Inc., or negligent, or the trucks are overloaded, tire size and pressure, one company requires fewer stops. Geewizz, all this stuff gets confusing.

As far as a real cure Trump endorsed, how would I know. Similar to what sweet lips Cortez said, it would help Trump get reelected.

Reactions: Thor

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
Dang y'all. I'd hate to have a cure for cancer and have Trump endorse it. That'd be the kiss of death for sure.
Cure? Maybe, maybe not, but as a promising treatment, definitely.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
At first glance, I'd have to conclude that Acme drivers are better than their competitors drivers. I hope I'm not accused of making a racial statement by the competitor. Or maybe the lab was negligent or biased towards ABC Brake Parts, Inc., or negligent, or the trucks are overloaded, tire size and pressure, one company requires fewer stops. Geewizz, all this stuff gets confusing.
Yes, good analysis.

A mechanic at Acme who used to work at the other place would have good reason to suspect ABC had a better product, but he doesn't have the resources to conclusively answer the question and it isn't his job. Just like a doctor who saw some patients recover on a drug would reasonably suspect it was useful, but likewise isn't set up to conclusively say.

I've said before, at one time anecdotes were all we had, and at that time Trump saying it had potential was sensible. For whatever reason he subsequently committed to it against evidence, and that was not sensible.
As far as a real cure Trump endorsed, how would I know.
But we can't know the reaction to endorsement of a real cure based upon the reaction to endorsement of a bogus cure.
Similar to what sweet lips Cortez said, it would help Trump get reelected.
If you're replying to the tweet about lockdowns, afraid you've been hoaxed.

901 - 920 of 1168 Posts