Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
321 - 340 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Have you read the responses though? VERY FEW are positive, open-minded, or generous.

I almost called you...Lol!!!! ;)
No not yet. And boy I can see I have some catching up to do. This might take a while. Feel free to point me to anything specific.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
No worries, you won't be able to talk anyone into it.
I agree, there is no talking anyone into these alternative lifestyles. What there is however, is a) helping people to accept and understand that they are valid choice for those who want to, and that such people are not broken. And b) you can talk a person who is hesitant into safe exploration to make up their mind one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I agree, there is no talking anyone into these alternative lifestyles. What there is however, is a) helping people to accept and understand that they are valid choice for those who want to, and that such people are not broken. And b) you can talk a person who is hesitant into safe exploration to make up their mind one way or the other.
Do you have children? You appear to be in a very happy and healthy, but very "non-traditional" relationship lifestyle. If you have kids, how open are you with them about your lifestyle and views on relationships? I know a lot depends on how old they are too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you have children? You appear to be in a very happy and healthy, but very "non-traditional" relationship lifestyle. If you have kids, how open are you with them about your lifestyle and views on relationships? I know a lot depends on how old they are too.
I don't know if we'd share that info with our adult kids. Do think that some things need to be filed away as special for a couple. So if we were to "branch out," we wouldn't be telling our kids "oh we met this nice couple on vacation and had some very hot nights" LOL

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I don't know if we'd share that info with our adult kids. Do think that some things need to be filed away as special for a couple. So if we were to "branch out," we wouldn't be telling our kids "oh we met this nice couple on vacation and had some very hot nights" LOL
Yeah, I get that and I can't claim whether I would tell or not either. It is all theoretical, but I'm leaning towards no and that is actually part of the point I'm trying to get at.

I have no hesitation to tell my children that I believe monogamy is the best way to live in a relationship for us and I think people in general. I have no shame or embarrassment in saying that. It is my deeply held belief. If we got with that couple on vacation and started getting with them regularly and moved into non-monogamy, I'm not so sure I would tell my kids. That is because I would have some level of embarrassment and shame associated with it. It is it goes against my belief in monogamy. However, those that have fully embraced non-monogamy, in what ever form, shouldn't have any reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed. At least I wouldn't think so, unless on some level they really thought it was shameful. Hopefully I'm being clear about this.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, I get that and I can't claim whether I would tell or not either. It is all theoretical, but I'm leaning towards no and that is actually part of the point I'm trying to get at.

I have no hesitation to tell my children that I believe monogamy is the best way to live in a relationship for us and I think people in general. I have no shame or embarrassment in saying that. It is my deeply held belief. If we got with that couple on vacation and started getting with them regularly and moved into non-monogamy, I'm not so sure I would tell my kids. That is because I would have some level of embarrassment and shame associated with it. It is it goes against my belief in monogamy. However, those that have fully embraced non-monogamy, in what ever form, shouldn't have any reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed. At least I wouldn't think so, unless on some level they really thought it was shameful. Hopefully I'm being clear about this.
Very clear. and I think being monogamous is probably the safest route. But I also think that sometimes, if the situation presents itself, we would be willing to experiment with another couple. We've talked about it often, more so each passing year. Now do we seek people? No. Are we open to the idea? Yes. And if that idea arose? Depends on a lot of variables. Right now, been 27 years me and her, well, over 27 if count serious dating time.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

And you believe that YOUR way of discussing sexual experiences with one's children is RIGHT because....??

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

My talks regarding sex with my kids have been pretty vanilla, it's 2022 they are teenagers they know all about various lifestyles if they asked about alternative lifestyles I would say if it's your thing go for it. But I think I can say with 99.99% certainty my kids don't want to hear how freaky their parents can get. My kids know we have a very happy and healthy relationship, we are not shy about being affectionate around them, it grosses them out.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
And you believe that YOUR way of discussing sexual experiences with one's children is RIGHT because....??
I'm not 100% sure it is, that's why I'm asking and trying to understand other's thought process on this. I'm witnessing the results of mine and my wife's way of doing things and it seems to have worked out well so far. Only time will tell.

Am I really the only one here that has talked to their kids about monogamy?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not 100% sure it is, that's why I'm asking and trying to understand other's thought process on this. I'm witnessing the results of mine and my wife's way of doing things and it seems to have worked out well so far. Only time will tell.

I think kids learn by example at times. See wife and I. 27 years, faithful. I’m not talking to kids about monogamy.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
My talks regarding sex with my kids have been pretty vanilla, it's 2022 they are teenagers they know all about various lifestyles if they asked about alternative lifestyles I would say if it's your thing go for it. But I think I can say with 99.99% certainty my kids don't want to hear how freaky their parents can get. My kids know we have a very happy and healthy relationship, we are not shy about being affectionate around them, it grosses them out.
Grossing your kids out with spousal affection is one of the big perks of parenthood, lol.

So... getting freaky. I don't talk about anything freaky we do in the bedroom together, but they know it is only ever me and her. I don't consider telling them it is only ever us two as telling them anything freaky, but I assume you consider bringing someone else in as freaky. Why isn't it just normal?

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I didn't. We are monogamous. My children are too, I think, because they are (or will soon be) in traditional marriages, and because I neither expect nor want them to describe the intricacies of their sex lives. We also have friends with a non-binary child who will be married this summer as part of a thruple. We will be at the service.

So you told your children you thought monogamy was the best choice. That's fine. Now it's unlikely that they would be open with you if they chose something else, but what would you do if they did?

• Love
Reactions: LisaDiane

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

I haven't talked to my kids YOUR way, I don't think. I also have never used my communication with them to declare that my way is the only way or even the best way. And just because I don't talk about something personal about myself (to my kids or to anyone) doesn't mean I'm ashamed of it.

I believe the comments on this thread are a perfect example of why people choose to HIDE and don't want to share controversial opinions and/or life choices.

Just because I'm not ashamed of something doesn't mean I want to be attacked and snidely laughed at by others about it.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
What does faithful mean to you? In my mind faithful includes monogamy, among other things.
Faithful for me is living up to whatever arrangement you made when you got married, or if not, at least updating that arrangement with your partner's full consent and participation.

How can it possibly be considered unfaithful when you are doing something that everyone has agreed to?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I didn't. We are monogamous. My children are too, I think, because they are (or will soon be) in traditional marriages, and because I neither expect nor want them to describe the intricacies of their sex lives. We also have friends with a non-binary child who will be married this summer as part of a thruple. We will be at the service.

So you told your children you thought monogamy was the best choice. That's fine. Now it's unlikely that they would be open with you if they chose something else, but what would you do if they did?
Nah, we were clear that we are open and supportive to whoever they want to be. We expressed what we think, but didn't keep beating it like a drum. I would say 90%-95% of how they learned that is through example, like @Longtime Hubby said. They see it. They seen me and her tell each other a million times that I love you and you are the only one for me.

321 - 340 of 355 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.