Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my other thread spun so far off track with discussions and debate of swinging, that I figured it would be more efficient to just start a swinging thread.

My general approach here to this topic will not be 'should' people swing or not swing. That is up for each couple to decide based on their own marital dynamics, ethics and moral compass.

My position is that it is a thing, it is out there, it is a reality in modern marriage and consensual nonmonogamy is something facing marriage as an institution today whether a couple chooses to partake in it or not.

My intent is not to persuade or dissuade anyone on it, but rather discuss some of the myths and misconceptions as well as some of the cold, hard truths and the good, the bad and the ugly of it.

Some of us here on TAM have some real world experience with it. Some have honest questions and curiosities about it even though they have no desire to do it themselves. Of course there are those that think it sinful and wrong no matter the circumstances. And yes, I know there are some out there that are considering it whether they want to publicly admit it or not.

So if you have any questions or concerns about what is taking place out there in the nonmonogamous world, feel free to post here. Some of us have had some real world experience in this arena. I personally have no desire to "convert" anyone to the dark side or challenge your values or mores. But there are so many myths, misconceptions and outright lies about the nonmonogamous world, I do have an interest in arming people with actual facts and perspectives rather than myths, legends and lies.

My disclaimer here is that I am no longer active in that lifestyle and have not been in it for several years. This whole crazy pineapple thing has come along since I got out. Some of the other members here that may have had more experience with pineapples may be better able to explain how to display your pineapple properly LOL

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
My latest experience with anything involving the word "pineapple" was one of the greatest things I have ever done in my life. We did some amazing things that most people didn't even know about, while the whole world was screaming into the wind.
It had nothing to do with swinging. So my first question is this...

What about pineapples? What's the story there?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll start with the pineapple thing since I am seeing posts and material about that on conventional social media. I honestly do not know where or how that got started. When I was in the lifestyle, I have attended clubs and conventions and events in a variety of states across the country and never once heard any mention of pineapples.

I suspect that this is some kind of urban legend that has taken on a life of its own and perhaps has become it's own reality. I have the feeling that some people started talking about pineapples and ended up hooking up out of the deal and things kind of took off from there.

But when I was in the lifestyle, people met through websites and swinger clubs and events and there really weren't any kind of underground secret handshakes or decoder rings or anything like that.

In fact for my wife and I and people that we knew personally, none of wanted anyone approaching us on the street or the grocery store or anywhere in our normal daily lives at all. People valued their privacy and discretion and did do or say anything to give suspect to any of our friends or coworkers etc.

Like all aspects of life, some people are more open than others. Some don't try to hide it at all and probably welcome being approached. Others are very private and discreet and their closest friends and family have no idea and that is the way they want it.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I'll start with the pineapple thing since I am seeing posts and material about that on conventional social media. I honestly do not know where or how that got started. When I was in the lifestyle, I have attended clubs and conventions and events in a variety of states across the country and never once heard any mention of pineapples.

I suspect that this is some kind of urban legend that has taken on a life of its own and perhaps has become it's own reality. I have the feeling that some people started talking about pineapples and ended up hooking up out of the deal and things kind of took off from there.

But when I was in the lifestyle, people met through websites and swinger clubs and events and there really weren't any kind of underground secret handshakes or decoder rings or anything like that.

In fact for my wife and I and people that we knew personally, none of wanted anyone approaching us on the street or the grocery store or anywhere in our normal daily lives at all. People valued their privacy and discretion and did do or say anything to give suspect to any of our friends or coworkers etc.

Like all aspects of life, some people are more open than others. Some don't try to hide it at all and probably welcome being approached. Others are very private and discreet and their closest friends and family have no idea and that is the way they want it.
So...

Pineapples became a symbol that swingers use to advertise themselves to other swingers?

I still have no idea what the significance of pineapples are to the swinger community...

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my first question is this...

What about pineapples? What's the story there?
Some people think if you put an upside down pineapple in your grocery cart or set one out on your doorstep that means you are a swinger and some people actually believe that is how swingers find each other.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Some people think if you put an upside down pineapple in your grocery cart or set one out on your doorstep that means you are a swinger and some people actually believe that is how swingers find each other.
Wow. I remember hearing something similar about flamingo figurines in Wisconsin. Up there they called it "wife swappin'".

I think that was mostly urban legend as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
My theory on the pineapple thing is it started at a larger partial take over event. For those who don't know in the lifestyle community some people/groups will organize and takeover or get together over a weekend or more at a specified location. My guess is at something like this a pineapple was used to identify yourself as part of the lifestyle group at the resort so attendees were not hitting on random people at the bars. From there some of the attendees took the pineapple symbol back to their local communities and the legend of the pineapple was born.

·
Registered
15,682 Posts
I think that swinging was very relevant to the last thread being that it was one man's disastrous decision to suggest it to his wife that led to it.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that swinging was very relevant to the last thread being that it was one man's disastrous decision to suggest it to his wife that led to it.
Oh c'mon Diana, that was so last week!

He obviously should have avoided all that missed communication and should have came home with an upside down pineapple instead.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.