Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone else in the same boat? My wife has never called me anything else other than my actual name. No pet name, no term of endearment etc. I find it a bit strange. It's natural for me to say, for example, "honey" instead of always using my wife's actual name. I asked her once why, and she said "I don't know, to me your just "your name".

The one exception was once when I was very sick. She was comforting me and said "sweetie". I don't know if she realized she said it but I sure noticed! It was really nice to hear. I didn't say anything about it at the time. A week or so later I mentioned to her that she had said it. She responded, " oh,...I did? I don't recall that". Kind of shrugged it off.

I dunno,... It just feels odd to me. Probably just me.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been with my SO for three+ years, and it's only been in the last 3-4 months I've taken to calling him 'baby' because he expressed to me that he would really enjoy that.

I dunno... it's very awkward for me, and not natural. It's getting easier as I do it more often, but I probably wouldn't have started if he hadn't talked to me about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks entirelydiffernet. I think my wife said that too,...that it's not natural for her. I would really love to hear her call me with a pet name. But not at the expense of her feeling uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This made me think of the number of different name I have / do respond to.

Obviously my given name.
As a child there was also Master Surname, Son, Sonny, Sonny Jim (and know my given name is not Jim / James), You Boy.
In the Navy it was Seaman, Hooky. P.O., Chief, Doc since then its also been Mr Surname, Sir, Dad and that is before any pet names or terms of endearment.

There is an old saying "call me what you want (within reason) as long as its not late for meals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Yes, we are in the same Boat..., rather a ship? :)

Well...I call the love of my life a.) baby bear, b.) darling, c.) mi amor d.) mi corazon

Maybe you could also try some words in spanish as well..., to add some excitement and spice in your love life.

Buena suerte, Amigo! :)

#13 the lucky one ;)

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
I've been with my SO for three+ years, and it's only been in the last 3-4 months I've taken to calling him 'baby' because he expressed to me that he would really enjoy that.

I dunno... it's very awkward for me, and not natural. It's getting easier as I do it more often, but I probably wouldn't have started if he hadn't talked to me about it.
Aww that's sweet that you're getting out of your comfort zone. I'm sure your H appreciate it. Getting out of comfort zone in all areas of marriage is SO good for the connection and intimacy.

It's Baby or Babe for me to him and mostly Baby and this thing he does with my first and middle name for him. But I don't mind my name either cause he can say it like no other!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
and this thing he does with my first and middle name for him. But I don't mind my name either cause he can say it like no other!

We normally only call our kids by their full name (given name middle name surname) if they are in trouble although it can be worthwhile doing it when you just "think" they may have misbehaved as they will sometimes got straight into excuses for why they did / did not do something before you even have the chance to tell them what it is about.
The girls (17 & 18) have got wise to this now but the younger ones still fall for it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is anyone else in the same boat? My wife has never called me anything else other than my actual name. No pet name, no term of endearment etc. I find it a bit strange. It's natural for me to say, for example, "honey" instead of always using my wife's actual name. I asked her once why, and she said "I don't know, to me your just "your name".

The one exception was once when I was very sick. She was comforting me and said "sweetie". I don't know if she realized she said it but I sure noticed! It was really nice to hear. I didn't say anything about it at the time. A week or so later I mentioned to her that she had said it. She responded, " oh,...I did? I don't recall that". Kind of shrugged it off.

I dunno,... It just feels odd to me. Probably just me.

Anyone else?
My wife calls me hun, but she calls everyone hun. This irritated me. I felt that was a name reserved only for ones significant other. I felt that way till I discovered I just wanted a special name she gives me. Some unspoken occurrence has happened throughout my life where my best and closest friends have given me a special name and I one to them.

I have several names of endearment for my wife. I only use the names in moments of deep connection or joy as to make them a gem to hear. The first name she has given me is "my dirty man." that was given to me jokingly after I I told her I would like a name of endearment. It was only after I got very upset at her for the fact that I give her special names but she never gives me that she started to call me something that was okey. But I have only heard it once. Sadly, I have stopped calling her all pet names I don't have it in me anymore.

This is just something we are not on the same page with. :-(
Posted via THE POWER OF GRAYSKUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLL!!!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try not to let it get you down, some people just aren't into that sort of thing.

I HATE those generic mushy terms (eg honey, sweetie, baby) urgh! they make my skin crawl. So you would never hear me using any on my H. That doesn't mean I don't love him, I just don't use those words to show it. Plus I would feel really uncomfortable if he asked me to do it.

Does she ever use nick names for people? I was just thinking that if the mushy names aren't her thing maybe you could think of a different sort of nick name? For example my H always calls me 'smell' or 'stinky' . . . he thinks its hilarious (ok, I do to) and it isn't as sickening as the others

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Try not to let it get you down, some people just aren't into that sort of thing.

I HATE those generic mushy terms (eg honey, sweetie, baby) urgh! they make my skin crawl. So you would never hear me using any on my H. That doesn't mean I don't love him, I just don't use those words to show it. Plus I would feel really uncomfortable if he asked me to do it.

Does she ever use nick names for people? I was just thinking that if the mushy names aren't her thing maybe you could think of a different sort of nick name? For example my H always calls me 'smell' or 'stinky' . . . he thinks its hilarious (ok, I do to) and it isn't as sickening as the others
Well I think all of us who is love those terms of endearment have just been insulted! But it's okay, Stinky. LOL!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
W is "honey", daughter is "little angel".:)

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Yeah, I think that I'd greatly prefer my given name anytime, much rather than say, "$hithead" or "$hit-for-Brains!"

But now, my brand new nickname for my XW is definitely "Skank!"

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
We use each others real names very rarely.

He calls me baby, babe, sexy, lover, beautiful.
I call him baby, Superman, gorgeous man, sexy.

If I use his name he gives me a cheeky smile and replies using my name.

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
She normally calls me 'love'

Sometimes it's 'randy old git'

Sometimes I call her my wench and she calls me m'lord

Reactions: F-102 and Holland

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What I do find funny is when people use "terms of endearment" to people other than their SO.

To friends, neighbors or co workers.

I used to work with a lady from Somerset (English west country), who would greet me every morning with:

"ello my lover ow r e".

It always made me smile and I never took it as anything other than a friendly greeting but I can understand than if I had been married at that time a wife might have thought it in appropriate.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I think all of us who is love those terms of endearment have just been insulted! But it's okay, Stinky. LOL!
Haha it sounds so immature - hopefully that wont become my nickname on here!

But seriously OP try not to let it get you down. Like I said, some people just don't like using that type of 'sweet talk'. Are there other little way in which she shows you her affection?

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
What I do find funny is when people use "terms of endearment" to people other than their SO.

To friends, neighbors or co workers.

I used to work with a lady from Somerset (English west country), who would greet me every morning with:

"ello my lover ow r e".

It always made me smile and I never took it as anything other than a friendly greeting but I can understand than if I had been married at that time a wife might have thought it in appropriate.
Well you're more aware of it than me living on the mainland but there seems to be a regional aspect to it as well. Not sure if you get the same thing in America.

In various parts of the country I've been called love, pet, dear, duck and others that I've forgotten by shop and café assistants.

But they are quite obviously a friendly greeting rather than terms of endearment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.