Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
During school our kids have an 8pm bed time unless they are at a sport practice. Some practices last until 9:30-10pm at night which drives me crazy! These poor kids starting at 6th grade need to catch the bus at 6-6:18 in the morning, which means they get up a 5-5:30am. Going to bed early really helps the kids from getting overtired.

I find having a set schedule for all of us really works best. I'm on a schedule myself.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too! I'm on a schedule since being a Mom! Before having a child, I could stay up late and get up early, no matter what.

Now, it seems like as soon as my daughter is in bed (8:00 bedtime), I am asleep by 9:00/9:30 most nights.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have two..3 and 7. They're in bed by 7:30. I tell other perents this and they're amazed. Its really not rocket science. You set the bar and you stick to it (on bed time or anything else). Its more about the parents having self control then it is about the kids.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Regular sleep is important for everyone especially children. To make life easier for everyone have a routine and stick to it.

On a night when they have school the next day my boys (13 & 8) have to be in bed by 20:00 so their routine is.
Home from school by 15:30 (17:00 if there’s a club on).
Tea is at 17:15.
Get any urgent homework done before TV / game station.
Bath at 19:15.
19:45 quiet time / milky drink.
20:00 bed.
their little brother (2) is about half an hour in front of them for bath / bed.

As my daughters are older (16 & 17) they are allowed to stay up until 21:00 when they go up for their bath etc this give my wife and I an hour or so to ourselves each night (I like to be in bed by 23:00 at the latest as I have an 05:00 start each weekday).

If there is no school we all stay up an hour later unless there is a special event on in which case its whatever time that ends.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Occasionally I'll get lax about the bedtime. I'll let my 7 year old stay up a couple of hours later than normal on the weekends just for fun.

The next day? OMG she's AWFUL!! Cries, gets upset, throws tantrums, the works. It's like she's not even the same kid. Same thing happens when their diet isn't good either.

And then I realize my strict schedules are worth it. I have happy, CALM kids and like someone else said it really isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two..3 and 7. They're in bed by 7:30. I tell other perents this and they're amazed. Its really not rocket science. You set the bar and you stick to it (on bed time or anything else). Its more about the parents having self control then it is about the kids.
:iagree: 1000%

·
Registered
388 Posts
Agree! I have twins and I would have been doomed without schedule, my kids go to bed by 8 pm sometimes 7 depending on what time they woke up but never later than 8. I hope it stays this way till they are big enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.