Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this tossed about a bit. What does it mean exactly? I thought it had something to do with liars... But I am not so sure.....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok. Thanks Dolly. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol joe and warlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm interesting... Thanks for the link warlock.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Gladwell is a hack. He takes a counterintutitive point of view and runs with it for EVERYTHING. Taleb does the same thing in "The Black Swan" which is also nonsensical from the perspective of real world high reliability or fault robust complex systems.

Sure we can all plan for the 1200 year flood or the 7th standard deviation. But who cares and what good does it do? A very good high level qua laymans' book on this is "The Limits of Safety" which follows well on the heels of Perrow's "Normal Accidents". In it Sagan talks about the interplay and trade off between high reliability systems and fault tolerant or fault robust dynamic systems.

Outliers come in two basic flavors - things that simply arise out of extremely chaotic systems or things which you should have realized aren't outliers so much as the result of human error.

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you're looking at statistical data the outliers are at the extreme ends of the scale
This.

Does not necessary imply that they are influential though. It's quite complicated!

My Professor was actually talking about "The Black Swan" and mentioned that the author has made a fortune betting against all odds.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to critique his work though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.