Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I all. My wife and I have been on the forum for a while but this is my first post. (Husband) I have a question mostly for the ladies. Have any of you ever experienced orgasm headaches? My wife has had this issue occasionally for a while but it has become an issue with me because it has become a total "buzz kill" for me. I don't really enjoy sex with her anymore because I don't like seeing her in pain. I never know whether it will happen or not. (neither does she) She has very intense orgasms, even when she masturbates (which we both do sometimes separately, but mostly together) She has a been reluctant to discuss this with her gyno because she is a very private person when it comes to sex but she is going to at her next appointment in early October. Are there any other ladies/couples who have experienced this? If so how do you handle it? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I frequently have orgasms every time my fiancé and I have sex. After a while my orgasms start to get more intense and then I get a headache which don’t last long by the way. I don’t take anything for me, and they go away on their own. It’s been happening for the last 6 months.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I all. My wife and I have been on the forum for a while but this is my first post. (Husband) I have a question mostly for the ladies. Have any of you ever experienced orgasm headaches? My wife has had this issue occasionally for a while but it has become an issue with me because it has become a total "buzz kill" for me. I don't really enjoy sex with her anymore because I don't like seeing her in pain. I never know whether it will happen or not. (neither does she) She has very intense orgasms, even when she masturbates (which we both do sometimes separately, but mostly together) She has a been reluctant to discuss this with her gyno because she is a very private person when it comes to sex but she is going to at her next appointment in early October. Are there any other ladies/couples who have experienced this? If so how do you handle it? Thanks for your help.
My wife has had them as well

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A few thoughts. Yes, making love to someone in pain, would be a buzz kill.

She should find out what kind of "head aches" she is having. It could be anything from just needing an aspirin to perhaps a serious medical issue. Second, are the head aches associated with mental stress or anxiety? That is are they medical/physical or are they mental? My wife sometimes gets migraines and medical science (MRI's, brain scans, all kinds of things) have not really figured out the problem. The consensus is that it "seems" to be medical and related to stress.

Depending on your wife's age, they may be signals of a vitamin or mineral imbalance.

While the following URL is about migraines, the vitamins an minerals can be a good low risk first approach, if her doctors doesn't take things seriously.

Vitamin and Minerals to help with Migraines

If it is stress related, perhaps her doing affirmations during sex to focus he mind on pleasant relaxing thoughts. There are lots of self-hypnosis and affirmation tapes out there. Long ago, I even took a self-hypnosis class where we created our own affirmation tapes/CD's

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Wife here: @YAH...You ask some good questions. To clarify: I have been thoroughly checked and have no medical condition which would cause this. Stress and anxiety are not an issue. I am going to the gyn in early October and plan to talk to her about possible remedies. I will bring up the vitamin suggestion and see what she says. The headache only happens when I orgasm and is gone in just a few minutes. Also, it does not happen every time. My husband feels bad when it happens and I don't want to stop enjoying our sex life (and my orgasms) so I just want see if there in anything out there to help with this. BTW I am 64 and my husband is 69. We are very fit; play tennis regularly and work out. No issues with any other activities. Worse comes to worse, I guess I will just live with this.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
My ex fiancée was a doctor. She had it happen to her and there was a fix, although I can’t remember what it was. I think it was caused by the birth control and she switched. It was bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No birth control here so that can't be the problem. Any one else experience this? Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wife here: @ Sfort, No covid shot because I have a mechanical heart valve. But, @numb, As a result of having a mechanical heart valve, I am on blood a thinner, Warfarin. My INR level is monitored regularly and is within appropriate levels. No clotting issues.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thanks for responding Mr. M. Just curious, why caffeine?
Because it can relieve headaches and migraines. It’s worth a shot. If you don’t like coffee maybe try one of those energy drinks. I don’t drink that stuff so I don’t know the specific ones that are high in caffeine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. I don't drink coffee but I do drink diet Pepsi. Or maybe I'll get a high caffeine energy drink. I will bring this up with my Dr. when I see her. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Wife here: @YAH...You ask some good questions. To clarify: I have been thoroughly checked and have no medical condition which would cause this. Stress and anxiety are not an issue. I am going to the gyn in early October and plan to talk to her about possible remedies. I will bring up the vitamin suggestion and see what she says. The headache only happens when I orgasm and is gone in just a few minutes. Also, it does not happen every time. My husband feels bad when it happens and I don't want to stop enjoying our sex life (and my orgasms) so I just want see if there in anything out there to help with this. BTW I am 64 and my husband is 69. We are very fit; play tennis regularly and work out. No issues with any other activities. Worse comes to worse, I guess I will just live with this.
I'm wondering if maybe it's just due to a very QUICK increase in blood pressure when you orgasm and that causes arteries to swell in your head -- after the BP comes back down after the orgasm, no more headache?
Could that be a possible cause do you think? Just a guess -- I am no medical Dr.
Please DO discuss this with your Dr.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point, after reading the articles, comments and suggestions here, my husband feels more comfortable with the idea that this is something we may just have to deal with. I have explained to him that I cannot give up on having my orgasms. As I have said, my orgasms are VERY intense which is probably the cause for an increase in BP which results in the headache. And, like Stacey, it only lasts a few minutes. Since I can't control the orgasm intensity and really don't want to, and since the headache doesn't happen all the time we will just take it as it comes. (pun intended) I will be discussing this with my gyn next month anyway. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
At this point, after reading the articles, comments and suggestions here, my husband feels more comfortable with the idea that this is something we may just have to deal with. I have explained to him that I cannot give up on having my orgasms. As I have said, my orgasms are VERY intense which is probably the cause for an increase in BP which results in the headache. And, like Stacey, it only lasts a few minutes. Since I can't control the orgasm intensity and really don't want to, and since the headache doesn't happen all the time we will just take it as it comes. (pun intended) I will be discussing this with my gyn next month anyway. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
I’m exactly the same way and refuse to give up my orgasms.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Men get them too.

Especially when using ED meds that open blood vessel, even in the brain.

It may be a blood pressure adverse reaction (as mentioned).

Plus, some natural chemicals (endorphins) develop in your blood stream, and open-wide those cranial arteries.

The brain has very few pain receptors, almost all of them are in the blood vessel walls.

Reactions: jlg07
1 - 20 of 29 Posts