Talk About Marriage banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
So tell me if this is about China why the tariffs on Canada, Mexico and the EU goods?

We are better off with making trade deals with our close allies to isolate China. This is what the TPP was supposed to do as well as the G7 alliances. This is not Econ 101, this shooting from the hip and just stupid policies. There is no short term gain other than the rating he will gain.

I get though, you are bought and sold into All Trump policies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
This is not all about China, it is about all of our poor trade deals. Though I don't think he is going about it the right way with NAFTA. I think we have given the EU way too much going back to WWI, given what we get in return.

I agree on the 2nd paragraph, however, it is econ 101. if you are in a bad deal, make a new one. Not hard to figure out.

You are full of cr*p on the last.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Is there anybody that believes the trade deals, as they exist, are at maximum benefit to the U.S.? (or should we allow significantly more restrictions and tariffs to be placed on U.S. exports to appease other countries.)

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Is there anybody that believes the trade deals, as they exist, are at maximum benefit to the U.S.? (or should we allow significantly more restrictions and tariffs to be placed on U.S. exports to appease other countries.)
The goal should be a healthy economy - not the elimination of trade deficits.

I think most people are for free trade. I'm just not sure he's doing this correctly. I don't see him negotiating anything. He just tweets and pouts.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
This looks dangerous... to Trump himself.

Let's face it, right or wrong, the President always takes the blame if the economy is bad or gets the praise if it's good... especially at the polls.

Many voters are willing to overlook a lot of they feel like their lot in life is improving or even stable. There's no doubt what popularity Trump clings to is largely dependent of the perceived state of the economy and jobs.

If there is a trade war, there will be an immediate impact on jobs. Sure, there are the always Trumpers who will blindly stick by him no matter what, but they are grossly insufficient in numbers to carry him alone. Trump needs every last one of those people who are willing to put up with his silliness so long as they think he's good for their bottom line.

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Utter non-sense, especially the negotiator part. You need to give credit to people who have different views than you do.

His tariffs are not a reflection on you, it is all on him. And, DT is a TV celebrity interested in ratings and moving through policies as if it were the next episode in a reality show. Outside of that he is a vacuous and babbling fool when it comes to issues of the economy or foreign affairs. There really is no credit to give him until he proves otherwise.

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
This is not all about China, it is about all of our poor trade deals. Though I don't think he is going about it the right way with NAFTA.

Well he did sign (unofficially) on with the current G7 agreement which is basically a NAFTA style deal. Creating a trade war with our strongest allies is not a point of strength. So, we will see how this all plays out. If is goes our way I will give him credit, if not three in my family who vote in 2018 and four in 2020.

My prediction, GOP congressional leaders will inform him in private to take back the tariffs if it looks like it will hurt them in Nov.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
All I know is the US steel and aluminum making and finishing business is booming right now and we would hire 50 "blue collar" manufacturing people today to build the equipment needed if we could find them.
My husband owns a machine/fabrication shop and we can't find good machinists either.

·
Registered
821 Posts
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/nafta

NAFTA was more about Trade quotas rather than tariffs. And any tariffs that once existed have long since expired as part of the original agreement.

Trump has essentially pulled us away from some of our closest allies.

Needless to say in two years as these tariffs and trade wars affect his voter base, they will be lifted with a new administration.

You simply do not know what you are talking about, in your zeal to produce anti-Trump gripes. Trump isn’t‘t proposing tariffs for the fun of it. Each proposed tariff is in equal response to ones these countries CURRENTLY employ against us. You know....the ones you claim have “long since expired.” If you can’t be honest about that fact, your foundational argument can’t be taken seriously.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
This looks dangerous... to Trump himself.

Let's face it, right or wrong, the President always takes the blame if the economy is bad or gets the praise if it's good... especially at the polls.

Many voters are willing to overlook a lot of they feel like their lot in life is improving or even stable. There's no doubt what popularity Trump clings to is largely dependent of the perceived state of the economy and jobs.

If there is a trade war, there will be an immediate impact on jobs. Sure, there are the always Trumpers who will blindly stick by him no matter what, but they are grossly insufficient in numbers to carry him alone. Trump needs every last one of those people who are willing to put up with his silliness so long as they think he's good for their bottom line.
I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a trade war. Trump is using the threat of retaliation against EXISTING trade barriers in other countries to get them to relax those barriers.

In other words, this is negotiation, not the beginning of a trade war.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
All I know is the US steel and aluminum making and finishing business is booming right now and we would hire 50 "blue collar" manufacturing people today to build the equipment needed if we could find them.
My husband owns a machine/fabrication shop and we can't find good machinists either.
Every trade business is hurting for people. Coincidentally there are loads of BBA degrees out there working a low end retail job making $10/hour with $100k in student loan debt.

Just saying if your sons and daughters have no idea what they want to do, I would seriously push them in the direction of trade school over college right now. Going to college just to have a degree without a defined career path is no longer a smart move by my estimation.

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
You simply do not know what you are talking about, in your zeal to produce anti-Trump gripes. Trump isn’t‘t proposing tariffs for the fun of it. Each proposed tariff is in equal response to ones these countries CURRENTLY employ against us. You know....the ones you claim have “long since expired.” If you can’t be honest about that fact, your foundational argument can’t be taken seriously.

I don’t have any personal gripe with Trump... I do oppose policies that are not likely to make us a stronger nation. But, we will see how this works out as material coming in from Canada and the EU goes up in price. In the end, by October consumers should feel the sticker shock.

The employed tariffs that our allies are currently imposing on us is in response to our draconian tariffs we initiated first, with this administration. We had already imposed tariffs on steel and other raw metals coming from China. Our beef needs to be with those that impose unfair trade practices not with our trading and military allies.

Best said: Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., said, "This is dumb. Europe, Canada, and Mexico are not China, and you don't treat allies the same way you treat opponents. We've been down this road before — blanket protectionism is a big part of why America had a Great Depression. 'Make America Great Again' shouldn't mean 'Make America 1929 Again.' "

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a trade war. Trump is using the threat of retaliation against EXISTING trade barriers in other countries to get them to relax those barriers.

Except that while he, Trump, has imposed tariffs on Canada, EU and Mexico, he has not imposed the same tariffs on South Korea, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. I suspect that if the leaders of any of these countries do not praise his royal Highness, they too can expect to have tariffs imposed on them as well.

There is no real direction to his imposed tariffs. He is picking and choosing based on purely arbitrary notions. What is the ultimate goal?

·
Registered
7,942 Posts

I hope that's correct. It certainly would make sense. I thought it potentially dangerous as brinksmanship always has the potential to go badly.

I really have no preconceived notions of how this will play out. I'm really curios more than anything.

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

that pic is boring. There is a long history in the press poking fun of our leaders. It maintains a sense of humility of so they don’t take themselves serious but their job and role seriously.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Tariffs on US exports have been in place for
several years. Before Trump. NAFTA an other
bad trade deals. Many countries use tariffs
to protect their own industries. The US
is not really a industrial nation anymore
The USA is the 2nd largest manufacturer in the world. In 1st place is a country w/ over 4 times our populaton.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
that pic is boring. There is a long history in the press poking fun of our leaders. It maintains a sense of humility of so they don’t take themselves serious but their job and role seriously.

That is the biggest whitewash I've heard in a long time.

The pic selection has nothing to do with anybody not taking themselves too seriously. The press take themselves way beyond seriously, seeing themselves as the opinion making elite, responsible for making America see and believe the right things. The selection of pic here is a perfect example of that.

·
Premium Member
23,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
That is the biggest whitewash I've heard in a long time.

The pic selection has nothing to do with anybody not taking themselves too seriously. The press take themselves way beyond seriously, seeing themselves as the opinion making elite, responsible for making America see and believe the right things. The selection of pic here is a perfect example of that.

What the press did not make up were his tweets when he got on the plane to leave the G7 summit which summarized his negotiating policy over any pic. Yep, befriend and pay homage to dictators while we berate push away our closest allies. Got it.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
What the press did not make up were his tweets when he got on the plane to leave the G7 summit which summarized his negotiating policy over any pic. Yep, befriend and pay homage to dictators while we berate push away our closest allies. Got it.

More apples and oranges. Weak deflection by changing the subject. Strawman as well. Worst logic yet. Surprising, even for you.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts