Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One in eight 26-year-olds are virgins because millennials are scared of intimacy, says new research

When they interviewed those people in 2016, when the participants were 26, researchers found that one in eight had never had sex. That’s a significant drop in sexually active young people, considering in previous generations around one in 20 reported being virgins at 26. And it’s possible that the figures may be higher – some participants declined to answer questions about their sex life. So why are so many millennials staying sex-free? It might be down to all the hypersexuality we see in our culture, which is putting us off actually having sex.

Susanna Abse, a psychoanalytic psychotherapist at the Balint Consultancy, told the Sunday Times: ‘Millenials have been brought up in a culture of hypersexuality which has bred a fear of intimacy. ‘The women are always up for it with beautiful hard bodies and the men have permanent erections. That is daunting to young people. ‘The fear for young men is of being humiliated that they can’t live up to that, plus the fear of exposure in your Facebook group.’ We’d add that we’ve become more aware of the risks of sex in recent years, and less willing to have sex with people we don’t trust as a result.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/06/one-eight-26-year-olds-virgins-millennials-scared-intimacy-says-new-research-7525253/

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Virgin America: Why young adults are having a hard time getting laid
If you’re an American in your twenties, your mom has probably had sex with more people than you ever will

Common sense would suggest the spread of technologies designed to pinpoint potential sex partners would make getting laid a whole lot easier. According to some estimates, the location-based dating app Tinder has around 50 million users, worldwide. A report conducted by the Pew Research Center finds that the online dating apps have nearly tripled in popularity among young people, specifically, in the past few years. But access to the dating world doesn’t necessarily translate into experience with it. According to the same report, one-third of online daters have never made it out onto an actual date. And maybe that can help explain one brow-raising headline making its way around the Internet these days. Virginity in America is on the rise.

Twenty-five years ago, almost 60 percent of female teens had done “the deed.” By 2013, that number had dropped by 14 percent. The numbers are even more drastic for guys. In the past 25 years, virginity among male teens has jumped up by 22 percent. And if you think things get easier as you get older, think again.

https://www.salon.com/2017/02/26/virgin-america-why-young-adults-are-having-a-hard-time-getting-laid/

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't see a downside to this.
I think it's important for us older people to realize that the younger generation is different in this way.

Additionally, it's important for young men (especially "red pill" men) to realize that young women are NOT sleeping with dozens of hot studs until they approach the age of 30, then looking to get married. There is simply a lot less sex going on today.

·
Super Moderator
11,685 Posts
But one has to be more clear in what "defines the deed" ?

Remember the 'ol "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" speech?
Or the "Anal sex and BJ's means I'm still a virgin" approach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
In a fast-changing world, why are we supporting the idea that sex is on the decline with stories that are two & three years old? I saw this topic come up and thought there might be something new? But these articles don't even link to updates. Anyone have anything recent on the subject?

I do agree that Facebook could have a substantial affect on things, because what you do, and with whom, is likely to go public in a way that you can't control. That may not be a bad unintended consequence of lack of privacy.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Huh, I lost my virginity at 26, not because I was scared of intimacy; I craved being close to someone. It was because my parents practically beat into my head the belief that sex before marriage was all kinds of bad, and I would be stupid to do it. I was also told numerous times that if I ever got pregnant outside of marriage, I wouldn't have a home to come home to. Both of those things scared me enough to not want to disappoint my parents. It's also a contributing reason why I never had kids earlier (or at all, actually). I was scared ****less to get pregnant, as I knew I'd be disowned. So, for me, it was more circumstantial stuff and beliefs that I was pushed into rather than choice. Maybe others experience this as well.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Seems to me that in order to have any kind of meaningful contact with another human being you have to come out from behind your computers, smart phones and gaming systems. Millennials have lost the capability of human interaction other then from behind a keyboard. Is it any wonder they aren't having sex? Maybe, unintentionally, they are returning to a time before the 60's sexual revolution?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Seems to me that in order to have any kind of meaningful contact with another human being you have to come out from behind your computers, smart phones and gaming systems. Millennials have lost the capability of human interaction other then from behind a keyboard. Is it any wonder they aren't having sex? Maybe, unintentionally, they are returning to a time before the 60's sexual revolution?
Could also be that sex has become a "binary" decision, rather than something that comes naturally in a relationship. The hyper-exposure to what we're supposed to be gets rid of the comfortable gray areas we live in while we're figuring ourselves (and perhaps a potential partner) out.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
How many millenials do you know well?

I have a son and a daughter both in their 20s. They seem to have a pretty active social life outside of their screens and keyboards - much more so than their late boomer parents, and they don't seem particularly unusual in that regard.

·
Registered
769 Posts
How many millenials do you know well?

I have a son and a daughter both in their 20s. They seem to have a pretty active social life outside of their screens and keyboards - much more so than their late boomer parents, and they don't seem particularly unusual in that regard.
Quite a few actually. Over half of my employees are or have been millennials and yes I have had to let many go because they refuse to put down their electronics. Have you been out in public lately? Gone to dinner? Shopping? All you see is people with their noses in their phones. And those are the ones who actually step outside their houses. You have another group, the "Gamers", who are perfectly happy playing their games in the dark, their social lives consist of on line chatting.

And yes, I know that not all millenuals are like this (if yours aren't, count yourself lucky). I have 2 nephews that are always complaining that they can't "meet anybody". Yet, they sit in there rooms, forever on social media, playing games, etc. My niece on the other hand is the complete opposite, always on the go. Which one is better socially adjusted?

In my experience, it's the majority of Millennials that are like this.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quite a few actually. Over half of my employees are or have been millennials and yes I have had to let many go because they refuse to put down their electronics. Have you been out in public lately? Gone to dinner? Shopping? All you see is people with their noses in their phones. And those are the ones who actually step outside their houses. You have another group, the "Gamers", who are perfectly happy playing their games in the dark, their social lives consist of on line chatting.

And yes, I know that not all millenuals are like this (if yours aren't, count yourself lucky). I have 2 nephews that are always complaining that they can't "meet anybody". Yet, they sit in there rooms, forever on social media, playing games, etc. My niece on the other hand is the complete opposite, always on the go. Which one is better socially adjusted?

As an employer of largely-millenials, it's my experience that it's getting worse, not even leveling off. You can explain the rules of employment and it just doesn't matter; they don't think you're serious. It's just crazy. They have to be at the center of the world (or be the center of the world) wherever they are. It's not the customer, it's not their partner even. But I'm not convinced it leads to less sex. It might, and I can see some reasons for it being the case, but from what I see around me, I can't support that premise.

·
Registered
769 Posts

As an employer of largely-millenials, it's my experience that it's getting worse, not even leveling off. You can explain the rules of employment and it just doesn't matter; they don't think you're serious. It's just crazy. They have to be at the center of the world (or be the center of the world) wherever they are. It's not the customer, it's not their partner even. But I'm not convinced it leads to less sex. It might, and I can see some reasons for it being the case, but from what I see around me, I can't support that premise.
My original thought was that that being so absorbed in electronics, social media and gaming has cause them to lose the ability to have healthy, face to face interactions. You can see it all around. And it follows that without the ability to have healthy interactions you cannot expect to be able to have sex.

·
Registered
16,565 Posts
Or, as I used to say in high school, "why I date Catholic girls."
That was the prerequisite question that I'd always ask of the girls that I was being set up to date during college:

"Tell me, is she Catholic?"

Things always seemed to go a lot better with Catholic girls!

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
Seems like a positive if they can eventually meet someone who helps them feel comfortable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts