Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have experience with this, but my feeling or perception at this point
is that once there's infidelity, whether or not the couple stays together,
that trust can never really be built again. Maybe some lip service *saying*
it returned, but is that even possible?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trust is a choice. It honestly is. I learned that through therapy, and when I praticed it, it really worked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust is a choice. It honestly is. I learned that through therapy, and when I praticed it, it really worked.
A choice... can't say I've ever heard that one before. Doesn't that only work for as long as the other person remains trustworthy? And if one chooses to trust someone who isn't trustworthy, isn't that like putting blinders on to problems that may be present?

·
Registered
57 Posts
In one of my past relationships, my therapist told me and my boyfriend at the time that trust was a choice. Basically, I didn't trust that he loved me, and he kept telling me over and over again that he did. The therapist explained that by choosing to believe him instead of choosing to believe my doubts, i'd basically have to force myself to do it and thus, not contribute to the thing that was causing our relationship to ruin.
I'd not heard of it before, either. And also...just last week during pre-marriage counseling, our pastor told us that love was also a choice. He said it to say that when you are out, away from your spouse, you can choose to love your spouse and choose to be faithful, and that choice will give you the strenght to do the right thing. He wanted us to understand that yes, trust and love derive from feeings/emotions, but we can also make them choices and therefore have some control over them instead of them controling us.
You are the captain of your own being, so why not be the boss of it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can say that if you don't have trust you don't have a relationship. I just have seen so many relationships where there isn't trust for one reason or another and they have nothing but problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trust Shattered

Well, I can say that time and prayer will definitely help. It has brought me closer to God. I do from time to time get rethink what has happened but I force thoe negative thoughts. It does me no good to hold on to the past. But I do understand your pain. It has been almost 3 months since I found out about my husband's affair.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't imagine the feelings that must have been caused from a husband's infidelity. I think with God all offenses can be forgiven, though. I know it would be very difficult to trust again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, I do agree that you can reestablish trust but I would imagine it would be a long an hard process. It is getting to that point where I see alot of people cannot establish the trust again and that is when a decision really needs to be made on whether to continue the relationship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My husband told me last week he had been seeing someone else for a couple weeks. Said it wasn't sexual. It really hurt but the fact he told me without me finding out another way helped me still feel I could trust him. Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense but I saw it as a turning point. I'm still not sure where we will end up but holding on to hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going thru that right now. I found out after 26 years of marriage my husband has done the unthinkable. His daughter called and told me what her mother and my husband did. This was five years into my marriage when this happen he was in the navy and in school when this happen. I'm hurt, heart broken. And my trust is gone. He is now trying to keep me in his life. But this young lady does'nt like me at all. All she wants is her father. Her mother put her up for adoption and my husband signed the papers. Thinking it would keep me from finding out. Funny that did not happen at all. Right now I want to leave because I don't trust him or believe him. I am in therapy. It is helping a little but. I need support

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going thru that right now. I found out after 26 years of marriage my husband has done the unthinkable. His daughter called and told me what her mother and my husband did. This was five years into my marriage when this happen he was in the navy and in school when this happen. I'm hurt, heart broken. And my trust is gone. He is now trying to keep me in his life. But this young lady does'nt like me at all. All she wants is her father. Her mother put her up for adoption and my husband signed the papers. Thinking it would keep me from finding out. Funny that did not happen at all. Right now I want to leave because I don't trust him or believe him. I am in therapy. It is helping a little but. I need support] What happens in the dark comes out into the light.:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm close to where you are at. But I am still in alot of pain. I don't know if I can do this. I really want to leave my husband. But I don't know. Help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not understanding how "seeing" would be defined if not actually cheating. Did he define "seeing" for you?
Well his words were affair. When I asked if the relationship was sexual he said no. So I asked why then label it an affair. He said because I was out with her having fun and had thoughts that went further which I did not feel guilty for having them. So what I gather is he'd pick her up before his weekend long parties and trips and spend the whole time basically dating her. I guess what bothers me the most is he was looking to develope a real relationship with this person. Like I was already out of the picture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help my abt retrusting my husband

HI,
Im a muslin female and got married 1 1/2 yrs ago to a guy i loved,it was a love marriage and everything was fine since last december when i found out that he has been searching online for erotic services, i found it on time an asked him not to, he said he wont go to call girls for sex as our religion consider it as a sin. but despite that he went to have sex with 2 call girls and now after six months he admitted it in front of me and saying that he is sorry and wont do it again. I forgave him but now i cant stop these flashbacks that he cheated on me and had sex with someone else just for fun. I have been so nice to him and i didnt deserve this, this thought keeps me disturbed all the time and gives me headaches and it is ruining my relationship. I spoke with husband and he said he told me already that he would not do it again so why am i thinking abt it and if i keep on doing like this he warned me that the consequences would not be good and in our favour. I have a 6 month old son too, Now plz help me what should i do, should i just forget eveything that has happened and take a new start which is very had for me..would i be able to trust him again. i always keep thinking that he might me seeing some other girl if he is out.what is the gurantee that he wont cheat on me again? plz plz give me advice,i know it would be hard for me to leave him coz of my son and coz of family and cultural restrains too. so plz kindly answer my question on my email on detail as i really need help otherwise i would ruin my relation ship.
thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How does your culture feel about getting therapy? Trust takes awhile to rebuild, especially for women. Our brains work overtime and love to dissect the worst case senerios over and over. So, if you want to work through this I suggest seeking counseling for yourself and it would also be great if your husband would go to a few with you. He might not want to and you can do it without him going but maybe if he were to go he can understand better how it hurt you and why trusting is hard for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
trust is hard to get back

Trust is very hard to get back. Ten years ago my wife was depressed and feeling guilty about an indiscretion that took place 18 months earlier. One night she was feeling very comfortable with us and confessed this to me. My initial reaction was that she was being honest with me. After a night of sleeping on this and more discussions and details coming out I was very upset. My reaction to it was that she had had an affair. Her opinion was that it was just a slip up and she stopped it because it made her realize she loved me.

This all took place out of town when she went to visit her oldest friend. He was a coworker of her gf, who she had meet on a solo trip a couple of years earlier. She also saw this guy one time when we took a family trip to visit this friend. One night I took the kids and she went out with her GF and this guy just happened to be there. She communicated with him during those 2 years. I'm not sure how much communication occurred after that last trip. Worst was that I used to encourage her to visit this gf and this last trip was taken while our 8 yr old son had chick pox.

It took me about 2 yrs of therapy to forgive her. There were many ups and downs during this time. The worst things were that during this time her gf moved back to town and was working in the same building as I was. My wife has a tendency to try to justify all of her actions, and in working through my anger and outrage I put some blame on her gf. In the end the gf moved back out of town and we worked through this.

A few years ago all the work was destroyed in a string of her actions. Me seeing her walk out of a bathroom at a party followed a minute later by a guy. Her forcing her gf back into our lives and then just a couple of years ago me discovering she's spending 600+ minutes a month talking to a guy on her cell phone. This was taking place all hours of the day.

I've now lost all trust in her. I never thought of myself as the jealous type, but find myself feeling that way. Even when we 1st meet 26 yrs ago she had guy friends. No it makes me question was I naive all these years. Was I the fool to have trusted her. She knew how I felt about infidelity. Shortly after our marriage I went out with the guys to a football game and we all went out after. Ends up one of the guys (married,) has his gf show up. I was so upset that I wouldn't go out the guys or the couples any more. I eventually had to explain this to my wife. She agreed with me and we working on establishing a new group of friend to do things with.

Do I still love her, yes, but I don't feel like I'm in love. NO.

Bottom line is trust takes work from both sides and once it's broken I really don't know if it will ever fully come back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regaining trust is such a long and difficult journey. It can be done though, but honestly, speaking from experience, it's not worth it. The thing is, the trust is never fully restored.
There are some great books out there that can really help you figure it out.
I recommend either one of these:

His Needs, Her Needs and/or Fall In Love, Stay In Love

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I were as strong as some of you. I don't think once my trust was broken, that I could ever trust that person again. I hold people to the same ethics and beliefs that I live by, so once thats gone, its gone. My wife tells me that I am to hard on people, that people don't have the same beliefs that I do, and truly, I feel that is sad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.