Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm not married but have been in a long term relationship for almost four years now. My boyfriend and I have been having these little "arguments" lately too. They can be so ridiculous and I feel like I'm being nit-picked. Something simple, for example, He went into the bathroom to get ready for work. We had just got done eating dinner and so I laid on the couch while he was in there. I turned off the lights since they were not going to be in use...we have a small one bedroom apartment. It was getting dark outside and when he was done in the bathroom he asked, "Why is it so dark in here". I responded by telling him it's getting dark out. He responded by asking if i was serious. I didn't understand what he was getting at. Turns out the answer he wanted to hear was that the lights had been turned off. It seemed reasonable for me to respond that it was getting dark out because I thought it was obvious that the lights had been turned off. He just got so upset that I had no idea that he was talking about the lights and refuses to believe that having turned off the lights isn't the first thing that came to mind. Why would I leave them on when they aren't in use? I didn't know what to tell him except that I guess i'm just dumb for not thinking about that and it ended with him agreeing. It just hurts my feelings so when I am made to believe that there is something wrong with me and the way I think things through. Am I being daft here or is he just finding things to argue with me about? How do I get him to understand that maybe sometimes we are not on the same page and he needs to repeat himself. Is there anything wrong with clarifying things if you partner doesn't understand the question? I think if he just took the time to do this, we wouldn't argue as much. This ended with me sobbing on the couch and not saying anything to each other while he just left for work.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.