Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just having a hard time dealing. SO my estranged keeps asking for money, even though I put a few dollars into a joint account. Family members on both sides advise me to not give her any money. How have others handled this?

Back story: She left me and our children, drained our joint checkings account as well as our joint savings account, has been with other men since June 1st and has moved to CA.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
She already stole your money -- if she needs more -- then SHE needs to earn it. WHY would you give her money"? Makes NO sense.
Please make sure the fact that she stole the checking/savings money.
When you divorce her, the lawyer will be able to use that to lessen any money you would have to give to her.
SHE left her kids? Wow. YOU need to document that again, make sure that YOU get primary custody, and then SHE will have to give YOU child support.
Please get to a lawyer asap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did speak with a Lawyer, but these have been question that are surfacing. Everything has been documented.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Great -- so EASY answer to that question -- give her NOTHING. She left you holding the bag with your kids, moved away, is banging other guys, and stole all your money -- WHY would even CONSIDER helping her out now?
I know you probably still love her, but love yourself MORE. Love your kids MORE -- use any money you would have thought about giving her for a nice trip, or a nice dinner, or other fun activity with your kids.
She fired you from being a husband -- so you really have NO obligations to her.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just having a hard time dealing. SO my estranged keeps asking for money, even though I put a few dollars into a joint account. Family members on both sides advise me to not give her any money. How have others handled this?

Back story: She left me and our children, drained our joint checkings account as well as our joint savings account, has been with other men since June 1st and has moved to CA.
The fact that HER family is saying to not give her money should be a major sign. Your responsibility is now to those kids, and keeping them safe and well. Under other circumstances, it might be proper to financially aid her. These aren't it.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

What the hell is wrong with you? Do you also lie face down so she can wipe her damned shoes on your back?

Find your spine for God's sakes.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I have no idea at all why you would think you should give her anything. She has made her decisions and she must live with the consequences.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Don't give her anything. She can get a job, or she'll find another way to make ends meet. Or there's always a homeless shelter. Hard times.

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Actions have consequences. She needs to learn to live with hers and that doesn’t include depending on you any longer. She’ll continue as long as you let her. Don’t.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I truly hope that they sunk in.
I'm not sure where you're at, but in most cases, abandonment and moving to another state is a slam dunk for your, hopefully soon, divorce.
Good luck to you and your kids going forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I truly hope that they sunk in.
I'm not sure where you're at, but in most cases, abandonment and moving to another state is a slam dunk for your, hopefully soon, divorce.
Good luck to you and your kids going forward.
@shortbus Yes it did sink in quite deep! My Sis In-law was already in my ear with the same message!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sister in law, as in, your wife's sister?
I'm sure she knows her better than you.
On a side note. When I was going thru divorce with my first wife. Her mother said to me, 'We sure are sorry Shortbus, we thought you'd be able to straighten her out'.
Unfortunately, the spouse is always the last to know.
Good luck, you should be able to push a divorce thru quickly with her gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sister in law, as in, your wife's sister?
I'm sure she knows her better than you.
On a side note. When I was going thru divorce with my first wife. Her mother said to me, 'We sure are sorry Shortbus, we thought you'd be able to straighten her out'.
Unfortunately, the spouse is always the last to know.
Good luck, you should be able to push a divorce thru quickly with her gone.
No no my Brothers' wife! As in Sis In-Law, not Sister In-Law!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Help us understand what is going on in your mind that makes it even cross your mind to give her money after all she has done.

Please explain your thought process to why you would even consider that so we can better understand why someone would think to do that and maybe we can better help those in similar situations who are considering subsidizing those who have abandoned them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@oldshirt ... Honestly, I'm just trying to do the right thing. I don't want any blow back when we go in front of the judge. Plus even though things are over, I still feel bad for her. I care for her only as the mother of our kids but truly cannot go back down that road. But.. in the same breath I can't keep doing what I've been doing, subsidizing, enabling, or providing her either. So I've turned to this message board as my secondary sounding board (first being my Sis In-Law) to make sure I'm not thinking incorrectly. As some one else has stated...
Actions have consequences. She needs to learn to live with hers and that doesn’t include depending on you any longer.
So with that... I have typed up a letter that I will be sending pretty much stating the obvious, that I will no longer be funding her.

Taking my spine back!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts