Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Men's friendships with women 'driven by sexual attraction' - Telegraph

or if they can reinvent the history of their relationship...
I definitely agree with the premise of the article. As a guy, I just can't imagine being best friends with a woman without any sexual tension. Maybe that makes me immature, but I just don't see it. Now my STBXW always had close male friends (she had a circle of friends male/female who all hung out together), even before we married and the funny thing is, a few of them dropped off the radar as soon as we got engaged. And when we were dating - several of them were pretty frosty towards me. So obviously they wanted more than just friendship.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Comment from a reader of the article:

"Men's freindship with women driven by sexual attraction? Wow, next they'll tell us the sun rises in the East!!"

·
Super Moderator
30,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely agree with the premise of the article. As a guy, I just can't imagine being best friends with a woman without any sexual tension. Maybe that makes me immature, but I just don't see it. Now my STBXW always had close male friends (she had a circle of friends male/female who all hung out together), even before we married and the funny thing is, a few of them dropped off the radar as soon as we got engaged. And when we were dating - several of them were pretty frosty towards me. So obviously they wanted more than just friendship.
I had a good female friend who was not in the least bit attractive to me. But she was a very nice person. We lost touch when she went back to Australia.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I had a good female friend who was not in the least bit attractive to me. But she was a very nice person. We lost touch when she went back to Australia.

I guess what I meant was closest or best friend. Personally I just can't see it for myself. I've never seen it in real life either.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That's all it takes.

I know I quoted this before, but I can't help myself, I love Nietzsche...

"A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy."
Friedrich Nietzsche

T

Reactions: C-man and Acabado

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tony55 said:
"A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy."
Friedrich Nietzsche
That quote is a real gem, I hadn't read it before. And so, so true. I can think of several women I know that would be very dangerous to be around if I found them physically attractive.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
563 Posts
We don't really need that article. We just need to go back and watch "When Harry Met Sally." ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Opposite sex friends need to be friends of the married couple. Not of just one spouse.Anything else is just asking for trouble. From a biblical standpoint,married people are supposed to go through their spouses for this. It may sound a little extreme for todays world,but I'd bet that it works to prevent, shall we say,"inappropiate friendships"

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Opposite sex friends need to be friends of the married couple. Not of just one spouse.Anything else is just asking for trouble. From a biblical standpoint,married people are supposed to go through their spouses for this. It may sound a little extreme for todays world,but I'd bet that it works to prevent, shall we say,"inappropiate friendships"
Very well said.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What really slays me about opposite sex friendships is that so many people see it as innocent, even with the obvious dangers. I remember very well as a young man in my 20's doing the dating thing,that a woman who had a lot of "guy friends" always turned out to be a ****.LOL the obvious reason is that decent women cant stand ****s,but some men love them. This isnt too hard to figure out.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
When I was married, I was good friends with many of my other best friends wives. Hugs, kisses on the cheeks, conversations and such. Now that I'm single, things are different. I don't talk to them anymore and maintain different boundries. Odd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.