Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: My ex left me for another man and took her 2 kids and our son after 14 years of marriage. We were finally divorced (absolute) 8 months ago. I treated her two kids as my own.

About a year and a half ago I met my new partner, she helped me through my divorce, she also help me do something that, I still struggle with, she showed me that my ex's two kids only wanted to see me if money was involved, I removed the money have they didn't want to see me, I was heart broken, but I have since moved on.

I see my son one evening a week and every other weekend, my girlfriend and him used to get on great, but my son a typical teenager he doesn't clean his room, he sulks when you ask him to do anything, leaves a trail of mess about the place and only wants to do what he wants and wants it now. My girlfriend is always on his and my case (to tell him off/get him to tidy up). I feel that I'm constantly telling him to tidy up (when she give me the look), so much so that he doesn't want to come round, he's fed up of me and my girlfriend nagging him.

This is causing a massive rift between my girlfriend and I, who is amazing in almost every way, but she can't give the kid a break, everything is black or white, he's either doing it right or not, the arguments between is are driving me insane.

Ive suggested that I see him alone, but thats wrong cause we should solve it together, she has now got so fed up that she is refusing to do anything for or with him and that includes ever talking to him. I'm at my whits end, I love my son and I have the most amazing girlfriend but I can't get the two to work togther in my life, help !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Extra: My girlfriend an I are looking to buy a house together, she said tonight that he will not have a room in our house, he can stay but not have his own room, the poor kid is still struggling with the divorce.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Extra: My girlfriend an I are looking to buy a house together, she said tonight that he will not have a room in our house, he can stay but not have his own room, the poor kid is still struggling with the divorce.
That right there would be enough for me to tell her to pack up and have a nice life. He is your child, he should feel like your home is his. It sounds like she is methodically pushing your son out of your life, so she has you to herself. She sounds extremely selfish, and certainly not someone I would want to own a home with.

Your son will always be your son, she may not always be in your life. To me, honestly it sounds like she chased off your exs kids, and is now working on your own child. Did you think that maybe she purposely pushed your exs kids out of your life?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tikii: I have thought the same, but she is amazing, apart from the issue with my son. When he's not here, which he won't be as much as he gets older, my girlffriend and I have the most wonderful time together, I don't want to loose that, but at the same time I'm not loosing my son either, I'm stuck, I hate ultimatums!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dump her selfish ass. Look at the message your sending your child. Dont screw him up for life, which is what you will do if you choose her over him. And that IS what youbwould be doing choosing her over him. She sounds very sekfisg and mean and potentially abusive.

What will her next demand be???

You will regret this for sure if you go through with this.

You are his FATHER. She can be replaced with a rhousand others.

Think about it.

Just read your post. Your right he wont be there as much but he will feel UNWELCOME in your home and he will know you chose some broad over him. Put yourself in his shoes. Theres no puzzy in the world good enough to lose your son over.

Please dont ban me. Please.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The fact that she is giving you an ultimatum is a red flag in itself. She should get along with and make an effort to make your children a part of her life, if she is going to be a part of yours. Your son will always be your son, no matter how old he is. You are telling your son that he isn't as important as some women, and that's a horrible thing to hear.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Tikii: I have thought the same, but she is amazing, apart from the issue with my son. When he's not here, which he won't be as much as he gets older, my girlffriend and I have the most wonderful time together, I don't want to loose that, but at the same time I'm not loosing my son either, I'm stuck, I hate ultimatums!
She's not amazing from what you've wrote. It's like a woman saying "he's amazing except for those times that he calls me nasty names." Amazing people don't do things like that.

Your son is your flesh and blood. He's your offspring. He will always be your son even when you're dead or he's dead. Your girlfriend on the other hand has a much weaker connection to you. She may be gone in a few weeks or months. She's just a woman you enjoy spending time with, but guess what..there are billions of people on this planet, likely she's not the only one with whom you could have a relationship with. You're seriously jeopardizing your lifelong relationship with your child by enabling your girlfriend's whims.

I really feel bad for your son. Truly, I do. I was lucky enough to grow up in a stable nuclear family, but the teen years were still a period of great angst and turmoil even in the best of circumstances.

Your girlfriend not allowing your son a room in the house you'll buy is crazy. How is that going to make him feel? Please, stop and think about how this is affecting him. I know teenagers have all the warmth of a lone wolf, but that's all an act. Inside they're going through a very insecure period in their lives. They are very sensitive even when they pretend not to be. It's bad enough he has to deal with the divorce, but now you're treating him like leftovers from two days ago. I'm sure he feels loved and supported.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with the other posters. What would happen if something happened to his Mom? (hate to think that :( ) Then your child would be with full time and not have a room?

It's bad enough that he only gets to see his Dad one night a week and every other weekend. My son is 17 and he's told me since he was 7 or 8 (when his friend's parents got divorced) "if you and Dad ever get a divorce, I'm living with him." My H and I just told him, if that ever happened, we would decide what is the best for him. My son adores his Dad (still gives attitude, blah blah) but his Dad is his hero.

You and your gf should have established the ground rules prior to your son coming over. Pick up after yourself, have your room clean, etc. or this will happen. Then you be the one to enforce it.

I could care less is my teens have their room clean, I just shut the door. But I don't pick up after them, they do chores to help clean the house everyday or they don't watch TV, video games, etc. I tell them when I'm doing laundry, if their clothes don't make it to the washer, they go without.

Please do the right thing by your son, you only have such a short time with them as it is.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My advice is to either clean up after your son yourself, to keep the tension from building...or if you don't want to clean up after him, then you have to take on the task of enforcing the rules and disciplining him yourself so that he will clean up his own stuff. It shouldn't be left on your GF's shoulders to be the bad guy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My advice is to either clean up after your son yourself, to keep the tension from building...or if you don't want to clean up after him, then you have to take on the task of enforcing the rules and disciplining him yourself so that he will clean up his own stuff. It shouldn't be left on your GF's shoulders to be the bad guy.

Yes, but if she hates him, he will feel that hate and feel unwanted and unwelcome and know his father picked the broad over

My statement stands.

Dump this chick. Or at the bery least, do NOT move in together.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
Two things, don't let your new partner dictate the relationship you get to have with your son, and enforce rules yourself so that she doesn't have that excuse.

And the room thing... It's rough. She does seem like she wants the kid out of the way.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Two things, don't let your new partner dictate the relationship you get to have with your son, and enforce rules yourself so that she doesn't have that excuse.

And the room thing... It's rough. She does seem like she wants the kid out of the way.
Trust me - if the room was hospital clean, she'd have a new issue. It's not 'him', it's the fact he exists. Dump this selfish little girl.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yes, but if she hates him, he will feel that hate and feel unwanted and unwelcome and know his father picked the broad over

My statement stands.

Dump this chick. Or at the bery least, do NOT move in together.

Who said she hates him? Sounds to me that she is frustrated with his son not picking up after himself and it's causing her to lose her patience.

She got along swell with his son until he started taking advantage of the situation and stopped cleaning up. Unless she had disliked him from the get-go and always was on his case...I still stand by what I say.

Get your son to start taking some responsibility for his mess, and stop leaving it up to your GF. Less tension, and GF will feel happier with the situation, thus, less fights and life moves on.

Reactions: colotnk

·
Banned
788 Posts
she showed me that my ex's two kids only wanted to see me if money was involved, I removed the money have they didn't want to see me, I was heart broken, but I have since moved on.
Huh? Sounds like she helped you out there but it's impossible to determine exactly what you're trying to say there it's so garbled.

I see my son one evening a week and every other weekend
Got it. You're a carnival dad, you only see him occasionally, you're afraid to be firm with him and show discipline otherwise he won't visit, so you let him step all over you.

my girlfriend and him used to get on great, but my son a typical teenager he doesn't clean his room, he sulks when you ask him to do anything, leaves a trail of mess about the place and only wants to do what he wants and wants it now.
I can see why this would bother her. She's gotta clean up his mess (or at least she will when and if you move in together), and he's totally taking advantage and being nothing more than a lazy selfish pig and you let him do it because you only see him once in a while and you're afraid to piss him off. Guess what? He knows this and he's enjoying crapping all over you.

My girlfriend is always on his and my case (to tell him off/get him to tidy up). I feel that I'm constantly telling him to tidy up (when she give me the look), so much so that he doesn't want to come round, he's fed up of me and my girlfriend nagging him.
He doesn't want to come around because *gasp* he's being asked to clean up after himself?! Oh the nerve of your girlfriend to ask your grown son to act responsibly!

This is causing a massive rift between my girlfriend and I, who is amazing in almost every way
She sounds great. Too bad you're going to lose her and be left with a son who has really gained way too much power and has now come between his dad and his dad's girlfriend.

but she can't give the kid a break
What is she doing that is "not giving him a break"? We already covered cleaning up after himself. What else?

she is refusing to do anything for or with him and that includes ever talking to him.
Ok that's a bit weird. She refuses to speak to him. Maybe something else is going on behind the scenes here?

As far as the obvious goes, tell your son that when and if he comes to visit he's gotta pick up after himself, is that really so difficult?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Also, I would add (since you didn't state how old your son is) maybe 13/14? This is the age when my teens started the typical teen crap... plus you're adding on that he is dealing with his parents divorcing and rules changing (unless you and your ex have continued the same rules)...

The rules need to be established and consistent enforcement of them. You and your gf need to come to an agreement and compromise what they will be. Then it's your responsibility to enforce those rules without her saying anything.

You can't let him be disrespectful and not following rules because his parents are going through a divorce and he's going through a hard time. This is not the way the real world works (if you get pulled over for speeding, you can't tell the cop, oh I had a really bad day and I'm having a hard time) you will still most likely get a ticket because you didn't follow the speed limit. So don't parent out of guilt and allow him "manipulate" the situation... you make me clean... I just won't come over so there....

It is your son and he may or may not think the world of you as my son does his Dad... My H works out of town and this was VERY hard on my son, he would cry for the first 3 days he was gone (when he was 12-13). I felt heartbroken for our son but I didn't take any grief from him and the rules still applied.

I do stand firm that he needs his own room at your house. If your gf is not willing to compromise (everything has to be done HER way) then you have a whole other issue to deal with there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should ask her if she will get rid of her own son if he does what your son is doing presently or work with him. If she can truthfully answer yes then I guess she will. Even if she will you still have to decide what to do with this lady who appears ready to clean up all the relationships you had before, ex wife, stepkids and now your own son. I say its definitely worth a thot, who and what is next????

·
Super Moderator
29,646 Posts
She is amazing, despite the fact that she seems to hate your son?

It's possible she would hate your son even if he was a saint! (He reminds you of your ex-wife, and that is why your children must go!)

This is like the mother of a killer saying: "Well, despite the fact he has killed 20 people, he's still a good person at heart!":rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I can see this from both sides.

I have children who are being step parented and I am a step parent for the first time.

It is very hard to mesh two households together.

However, your son should never ever be marginalised in your house, should all ways be welcome and have a room to stay in.

However he should be expected to do some things around the house and clean up after himself. But you need to enforce that and deal with him in that regard totally. You need to step up and take care of it.

Your girlfriend needs to back off and and be welcoming and kind to your son, and your son respectful to your girl friend. If she has issues she needs to raise it when your son is not around, but you need to make this easy for her. But don't be ridiculously hard on your son either.

I am very alarmed that she has also helped you realise that your step children were using you. Are you sure about that? Because teenagers are notoriously selfish and short sited. Just saying.

Also make sure you are not being walked all over in the relationship. That is very important.

If your girlfriend doesn't like that your son will all ways be in your life, get rid of her.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That right there would be enough for me to tell her to pack up and have a nice life. He is your child, he should feel like your home is his. It sounds like she is methodically pushing your son out of your life, so she has you to herself. She sounds extremely selfish, and certainly not someone I would want to own a home with.

Your son will always be your son, she may not always be in your life. To me, honestly it sounds like she chased off your exs kids, and is now working on your own child. Did you think that maybe she purposely pushed your exs kids out of your life?
I agree. I would strongly recommend you start setting some boundaries and tell her that you don't want to hear her harping/nagging on your son during the extremely limited time you have together.

If he's overtly disrespectful to her, that's something different, but he has a lot to deal with in his life without the stress and disharmony nitpicking causes.

He has limited time with you - make it count. And for the odd weekend and ONE weekday night he's there, it should be ALL about you two connecting. During this period, she should ABSOLUTELY come second. If she can't handle this, then she shouldn't be a with a man who has children. That simple.

·
Registered
165 Posts
She is jealous of the attention you give your son.. A role of a step-parent is to make the step-kid feel comfortable and be friendly. She should not have no input. Majority of teenages keep a messy room. Does she have kids?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.