Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,719 Posts
So, to make sure I have this correct:

On this pro-marriage site, the users are having trouble to give a good reason, for a young male, hell, a male at any age, to marry, because he is in effect, playing Russian Roulette with his heart and property?
This website attracts a lot of the jaded, scorned, and cynical, people who are hurting, or have been hurt, by the scars of bad marriages and bad choices. It isn't a remotely unbiased look at marriage.

Having said that, look around. There are a lot of people here, myself included, who absolutely love being married, or in long term relationships.

· Registered
3,719 Posts
Its great that you find yourself in a happy marriage. Statistics tell us, you are in the minority, so congratulations for beating the odds.

There is nothing inherently wrong with marriage. The problem is, if ever the marriage were to dissolve, the man shoulders a disproportionate amount of the blame and financial burden.

An unbiased look at marriage means looking at the statistics without emotional bias. Here in the US, this tells us that statistically most marriages are doomed to fail. It also tells us that 75% of the time, it will be the women who initiates the divorce, and out of all alimony awards, 92% of the time, the women will be on the receiving end of alimony. Furthermore, it is quite clearly evident, that marriage laws disproportionately punish men.

I've nothing against marriage; however, marriage today (now known as Marriage 2.0) is not the same marriage that we knew a generation or two ago. As a college educated young man, the potential downside of Marriage 2.0 far outweighs any possible benefits to me and (I believe) most every young man. There are no businesses that would sign such a disproportionate business contract, so why should people sign such a contract? Its a shame, because growing up, I admired my parents and their marriage.

What it boils down to is this: There is no rational or logical reason for a male (at any age) to get married. A man can enjoy the benefits of a relationship, children and more without subjecting himself to a possible lifetime of financial servitude. One can only assume the reason men continue to marry is purely emotional.
OK. Well good luck. Take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.