Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i've known my wife for 7 years now and married for a few, we had our difficulties and she has warned me about them in the past. Mostly about intimacy simple making out. I had my mind elsewhere, thinking about our future, house and to improve our income and not on the relationship. I'm the kind of person that trusts people very easily, not sure if that's a good thing or not. and long story short i feel he took advantage of her unhappiness and invited her over,flirted with him at work and it led to this as well, and she knew what she was doing ,i knew she was going but I'm not one to control anyone and trusted her, she was seeing a friend. Well she ended up making out with him and he made it to second base. She is very regretful now and i know she wishes she had not done it. I know i still love her and want to make it work but its hard to look at someone that you trusted through out your marriage. I suggested a break from each other, even maybe see other people and see if we come back to each other. I feel if i let this slide, it shows that i am a weak person and it was basically a free pass to do it again. We have no kids and not much tied up regarding finances.. what do you think would be the best way to preserve this?

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Definietly not seeing other people.

Second base? The golden rule here is they always have done more than they admit. You need to question this more. A polygraph is a good idea.

They can no longer work together. What are you doing to make sure this isn't on going?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she admitted just making out till i got more out, but i do believe her, she tells me things right away and is honest, she told me 10 minutes after it happened on the phone and i came to get her.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
we had our difficulties and she has warned me about them in the past. Mostly about intimacy simple making out.
Do you mean that she's made out with other guys before and warned you that it was a possibility in the future?

I'm afraid you haven't heard the whole truth. Not by a long shot. You say it happened one time. How do you know?

How did you discover the 'second base' episode?

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
she admitted just making out till i got more out, but i do believe her, she tells me things right away and is honest, she told me 10 minutes after it happened on the phone and i came to get her.
You went to the guy's house to get her? What did he say? What was he doing?

She may be honest but are you gullible?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
First, how does seeing other people strengthen or help your marriage? Was this your idea? This can only hurt, IMO.

Second, Chap is correct. She admitted to kissing and 'second base'. She copped to that because its a lesser charge than a bj.

You really don't know what she did, do you?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
"tells me things right away and is honest"

"admitted just making out till I got more out"

She told you a "little" right away and was not totally honest until you pushed it. If she follows the standard cheater script, she is providing you with trickle truth. Giving you a little more truth each time, justifying what she is doing by "not wanting to hurt you with the entire truth", afraid of what you will do if the whole truth is exposed.

She may be telling the truth now, but can you be sure? After all you trusted her to be faithful and look what that got you.

Has she answered detailed questions about the encounter?

Keep asking over a period of time. If she is still lying, she will slip up eventually.

How to fix it? Get and read "Not just friends" and "Women's Infidelity". Have her read them too. Tell her she has to be totally honest about everything for reconciliation to work.

Bottom line is that, even if she was unhappy in the marriage, cheating is not justified. She could have said she wanted a divorce if your future plans did not match.

The big question is - Can you ever trust her again?

Oh - do not fear being labeled "controlling" you knew what she was doing was wrong and dangerous to your marriage - you should have stopped it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Ninth-graders may stop at second base, adults go all the way. The only way you'll ever know the truth is to ask for a polygraph, and maybe not even then. If she is truly sorry and wants to prove that she didn't go any further, she will be willing to get a polygraph.

You're young, no kids, no complicated finances, and she already cheated on you. It is an extremely difficult thing to get over, to stop thinking about, and to learn to fully trust again. I don't believe you ever fully recover from it. No matter how long your marriage lasts, you always will remember it. Add to that - she confessed to you with a lie about only making out, then told another lie (which you currently naively believe is the truth) that she only let him "get to second base."

Why did you have to go to other man's house to pick her up? Was she too drunk to drive? Did you actually drop her off there yourself? How did she get there?

Put aside your pre-conceived notion of her great honesty. She's been dishonest for a while now - not just the supposed making out and feeling up it really was probably sex, but the whole weeks and months leading up to it, she has been dishonest. She knew what this guy was saying to her before she went to his house, she knew what was going to happen there. What in the past has she been so honest about that would make you believe her now?

If you are going to reconcile with her, will you feel comfortable with her working with the other man? Will you ask her to find a new job?

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Ninth-graders may stop at second base, adults go all the way. The only way you'll ever know the truth is to ask for a polygraph, and maybe not even then. If she is truly sorry and wants to prove that she didn't go any further, she will be willing to get a polygraph.

You're young, no kids, no complicated finances, and she already cheated on you. It is an extremely difficult thing to get over, to stop thinking about, and to learn to fully trust again. I don't believe you ever fully recover from it. No matter how long your marriage lasts, you always will remember it. Add to that - she confessed to you with a lie about only making out, then told another lie (which you currently naively believe is the truth) that she only let him "get to second base."

Why did you have to go to other man's house to pick her up? Was she too drunk to drive? Did you actually drop her off there yourself? How did she get there?

Put aside your pre-conceived notion of her great honesty. She's been dishonest for a while now - not just the supposed making out and feeling up it really was probably sex, but the whole weeks and months leading up to it, she has been dishonest. She knew what this guy was saying to her before she went to his house, she knew what was going to happen there. What in the past has she been so honest about that would make you believe her now?

If you are going to reconcile with her, will you feel comfortable with her working with the other man? Will you ask her to find a new job?
She is having a workplace affair tell her you believe her but want her to take a polygraph test just to ease your mind.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You just made yourself the ultimate beta in her eyes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No,I believe her that it happened once only because how the relationship was before, she never leaves the house and even told me she was going to a guy friends house from work and ibhad no issue as I do not believe in controlling people, anyways now I made some ultimatum and if not fulfilled its over, she depends on me so much and I know she made a mistake but at the same time it's hard to stomach. Onlybtime will tell

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
What is 2nd base? Is it sex? or less?

Anyway, she seems to me to have been honest with you, regardless of what above posters say. When there is dishonesty it is like removing blood from a stone, like interrogation, like a pain in the head that won't go away with their avoidance, anger, defensiveness. Now I am not saying she is not minimizing, but it is less likely. She may well have gone further, is actually quite likely, but due to her honest reactions then all you need to do is push her on this point to deduce the truth or not.

Going forward? That is up to you. But if you go forward WITH her then it is time you started doing some reading on how a marriage is supposed to be, how a man is supposed to be in the marriage. It is time for you to man up! What kind of husband is happy for his wife to go off for the evening to a male 'friend's' home? That is not right in almost all cases... and it is not right in this case. You both need to get your boundaries in place.

And you need to stop being that person you are that is so wimpy nice guy...the one that said:
" i knew she was going but I'm not one to control anyone and trusted her, she was seeing a friend. " ......you did you and your wife no favours at all by having this attitude. As you have come to find out. Sadly. And I do feel bad for you. Because good guys don't deserve this, and you sound like one. But your 'good guy' attitude is not in balance and has swung too far to the doormat end of the scale. Sorry.

I have heard it being rattled off many times here that this book is a life changing read for men, more so for good guys, and even more so again for those verging on the doormat kind. It is called Married Man's Sex Life (or something like that), it is not a sex manual but a guide on how to be the man that your wife needs. It is a guide for all men who want to be the best husband for their wife...for manliness, attraction, dominance, submission, sensitivity, all round. And it counters against the ridiculous hemogenisation of the sexes that is in today's feminised western culture. Read it!

I hope I have given an accurate description of a book I have never read! This is what I gather from what other posters have said and from reading the online blog that is written by the author. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
No,I believe her that it happened once only because how the relationship was before, she never leaves the house and even told me she was going to a guy friends house from work and ibhad no issue as I do not believe in controlling people, anyways now I made some ultimatum and if not fulfilled its over, she depends on me so much and I know she made a mistake but at the same time it's hard to stomach. Onlybtime will tell
Play with fire and you'll get burned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the same advice for everyone who is cheated on (at any level) if you have no kids.

FILE!

Just get away. It's not worth trying to fix. You may never know what actually happened, but you can be sure you don't know the truth.

GET OUT NOW.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
No sex, just make out
Thanks for the clarification Rob :) But.....what is the definition of making out? is that touching up? under clothes? Oral? Or just snogging and feeling outside of clothes?

We don't have bases here! Or making out! haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
she has always been honest with me, warned me about intimacy issues, if she shopped and i said dont spend money and she did, she never hid it and maned up. She is a trusting person, I believe she wanted to be his friend and nothing more, well he had other priorities, he kept feeding her wine ( very light weight ) and he made the move, and she admitted to kissing back, but then stopped it. So yes i do believe her, today all she did was show remorse, like i have never seen before. I know people say to leave but its not that easy, i still love her, I gave her some things to work on, if changes do not occur then it may be over.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
she has always been honest with me, warned me about intimacy issues, if she shopped and i said dont spend money and she did, she never hid it and maned up. She is a trusting person, I believe she wanted to be his friend and nothing more, well he had other priorities, he kept feeding her wine ( very light weight ) and he made the move, and she admitted to kissing back, but then stopped it. So yes i do believe her, today all she did was show remorse, like i have never seen before. I know people say to leave but its not that easy, i still love her, I gave her some things to work on, if changes do not occur then it may be over.
All those details came out of her mouth right? The mouth she kissed the other man with? I wouldn't trust anything she says without verifying first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.