Talk About Marriage banner

Need to protect my son

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sher Bear 
#1 ·
I think it might be time that my 16 yrs of marriage end. My husband seems to only care about himself and makes me and my son feel like tiny specs of dirt at times. My husband does nothing to help me around the house because he says our children should be doing those things. Which is fine but sometimes I just need him to do his part and help me out. When I tell him this he says he disagrees and that I just need to be harder on the kids. He took my small balance credit cards away from me because he thinks I don’t know how to spend or not spend money, yet he still has his higher balance credit cards that are both maxed out. Yesterday he and my son got in a huge verbal fight which left my son in tears and me telling my husband to get his **** and get out. Of course, in my husband’s eyes, he did nothing wrong because he is always right and we are always wrong. My son is slowly deteriorating mentally because of his dad’s harsh words at times and I feel like the straw just broke. I need to protect my son, as well as myself

#4 ·
We have done MC in the past but he only does the work for a token week or two and then starts to slowly start again with condescending remarks and just being kind of a bully, for lack of a better word. I’m 43 and he’s 50 so if we want to try to be happy before we die divorce might have to be the way we go

#3 ·
So what is your son doing for you around the house?

I agree the credit card thing is a problem. But why are those cards not in your name only and under only your control? Do you have bad credit and he had to sign for them?

#5 ·
So what is your son doing for you around the house?

I agree the credit card thing is a problem. But why are those cards not in your name only and under only your control? Do you have bad credit and he had to sign for them?
No. I got them on my own accord and kept them a secret for a bit but when he found out abt them he yelled at me til I handed them over
My son does what I ask him to just maybe not the second I tell him. He’s 14. But he does what I ask and is a very good, kindhearted kid. He’s a little too sensitive for my husband’s liking tho

#10 ·
Sher Ber, go and see a family counsellor for you and your son. Your H is abusive in many ways. The visit a lawyer and see what your options are. it might be better you leave your H now when your son is still a minor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.