Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just created an account and would like to post my intro in the infidelity section but it doesn't seem possible?

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
At the top of the page, click on Forums, then Focused topics, then Coping with infidelity, then hit New post (upper left in black).

·
Administrator
42,485 Posts
Hi, I just created an account and would like to post my intro in the infidelity section but it doesn't seem possible?
Try posting in that forum now. It is apparently taking the TAM software a bit of time to verify new users.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks I was able to post there yesterday morning, but I was just wondering how long does it normally take for my post to appear on the forum? I'm not sure if it somehow got lost and I should resubmit it? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Madandsad, sorry that you are going through this, but you will find help and words of wisdom here on TAM.
What do you want to do about the affair, divorce her or try and save your marriage/

How old are you both?
Kids?
Affair is going on how long?
Is the other guy married?

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Try posting in that forum now. It is apparently taking the TAM software a bit of time to verify new users.
And old users.

Hmm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Aine, I actually posted the details yesterday morning in the infidelity forum but seems my post never made it past the moderation. A lot has happened since then. Sorry if I give just a quick response here, need to run out.

I'm 38 and she's 39.
We had two girls together (7 and 11), and she has a 19 year old daughter from a previous relationship when she was young.
She tells me it's been going on for a month but I can't believe anything she says, that just happens to be the points in time I have proof for.
Other guy is married with two small girls.

On a side note, I just now realize my subject might sound alarming to people, and I meant that I needed technical help so maybe this should be moved to the technical difficulties section? I can't seem to change the subject when I try to edit the post.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just tell your story and the mods can move it.
How to deal with it?

Know everything she says is a lie, expose immediately and without warning to other man’s wife unless you plan on divorcing (which I suggest for infidelity), and see an attorney. Under no circumstances show her you still have feelings for her if any kind—- she will sense weakness and detest you for it. Do the “180”.
Detach.
Never attempt to nicing her back. It never works. Btw—- only admitting to what you already know—- shows zero remorse.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm sorry your marriage as you knew it is over. Emotionally and physically you've just been hit by a truck. Take 90 days before making any decision to divorce or reconcile. You'll need this time to heal and reach a point where you can make a solid well thought our decision.

You may chose to rebuild a new marriage or D...the decision is entirely yours. During the next 90 days your wife needs to show remorse for hurting you as well as convince you that she's a safe partner going forward (that she will not cheat again).

Your wife is no longer the girl you married. You don't know this person.

There should be no further contact with the OM.
Many recommend informing the OM's wife to further discourage the affair (but also so she can be tested for STDs).
And some inform the OM's wife because she has a right to know she's living with an adulterer.

See your doctor for a STD test, and discuss meds for sleeping and anxiety. Tell your doctor what's going on in your life.

See an attorney this week to find out exactly where you and the kids stand if you divorce.

Do not move out of your house without first discussing with an attorney. Separate your bank accounts.

Distance yourself from her so that you can 'think', heal, and so you're not constantly reminded about her cheating (e.g., she could sleep on the couch, no sex, join a gym and get in shape, take up a new hobby, buy some new clothes, no date nights, no casual social chats about her day (just discuss kids), and don't listen to her 'problems' or let her lean on your shoulder - you're the victim here).

Finally, she must take full responsibility for her decision to commit adultery (and not blame you in any way).

No marriage counseling at this time. Marriage counseling is for a broken marriage - not for a broken wife.
Your wife should seek counseling to fix her.
You should seek counseling to heal from her decision to cheat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. She doesn't seem to want to work things out. When I confronted her, she of course said she was sorry. I told her if we have any chance of moving forward I would need 100% honesty and asked to see her phone, but she refused. She said I broke her trust by going through her phone messages while she was sleeping. What a joke. I asked her to leave the house and stay with a friend. She got angry and said that this is her house and that I should leave! I finally got her to leave by calling the spouse of her lover (they were both good friends of ours) and as I got her on the phone she says "Fine I'll leave, please don't tell her". She says it's not my place to tell her and it should be him that confesses. Apparently their family is more important to her than ours. :(

Fast-forward a couple days to this morning, we started talking about what to tell the kids. I told her that I don't want to lie to them and she tells me that that's not fair because our relationship has been degrading over a long time, and she shouldn't be the only one to blame for separating. I admit I have been far from perfect and went through a bit of depression due to health and job issues. But I have also been trying hard to make things better, not realizing that it didn't actually matter to her. I couldn't stand talking to her and had to leave the house, I couldn't take her BS anymore, ended up walking around for hours while we continued the conversation over text messages. She eventually told me "I do love you. I always will. I'm just not in love with you anymore." WTF does that even mean? I don't even want to start wondering about the semantic differences, I just know that's her way of saying she want's to part ways (although it was already pretty obvious).

I just can't help crying when I'm alone, especially when I think about how this will affect the kids. Right now I just want to do what's best for them and we can't even agree on that. I told her maybe we should see someone who specializes in this.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and support. I do plan to contact a lawyer and see the doctor tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Thanks for the advice. She doesn't seem to want to work things out. When I confronted her, she of course said she was sorry. I told her if we have any chance of moving forward I would need 100% honesty and asked to see her phone, but she refused. She said I broke her trust by going through her phone messages while she was sleeping.

Bull****, she doesn't have the right of privacy to cheat in a marriage. Just yout typical cheaterspeak

What a joke. I asked her to leave the house and stay with a friend. She got angry and said that this is her house and that I should leave! I finally got her to leave by calling the spouse of her lover (they were both good friends of ours) and as I got her on the phone she says "Fine I'll leave, please don't tell her". She says it's not my place to tell her and it should be him that confesses. Apparently their family is more important to her than ours. :(

The biggest mistakes most betrayed spouse make is believing they cause the affair.. You had nothing to do with her decision to cheat with a friend that was a willing conscious decision she made and it's on her. The second worst mistake is not informing the other mans wife. It's not your job to help hide their affair.. It's not going to push your wife away because she's already gone but it might be the only wake up call that could end the affair. Other man is not going to tell his wife. What he and your wife will do at this time is cover for themselves and make you out to be a crazy jealous husband.

Call the other mans wife immediately and expose this now. You should have already done this!!!!!

Fast-forward a couple days to this morning, we started talking about what to tell the kids. I told her that I don't want to lie to them and she tells me that that's not fair because our relationship has been degrading over a long time, and she shouldn't be the only one to blame for separating. I admit I have been far from perfect and went through a bit of depression due to health and job issues. But I have also been trying hard to make things better, not realizing that it didn't actually matter to her. I couldn't stand talking to her and had to leave the house, I couldn't take her BS anymore, ended up walking around for hours while we continued the conversation over text messages. She eventually told me "I do love you. I always will. I'm just not in love with you anymore." WTF does that even mean? I don't even want to start wondering about the semantic differences, I just know that's her way of saying she want's to part ways (although it was already pretty obvious).

Typical cheaterspeak. They all do this

I just can't help crying when I'm alone, especially when I think about how this will affect the kids. Right now I just want to do what's best for them and we can't even agree on that. I told her maybe we should see someone who specializes in this.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and support. I do plan to contact a lawyer and see the doctor tomorrow.
You need a hard 180 immediately. Talk and your words are meaningless in this situation. Actions speak louder. Get to and attorney and get a consultation to find out your rights in this.

Better wake up and get strong very quick. If you don't you're going to get walked on

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You may need to know abbreviations in the future. 180 is at end if you need that.
AAMOF = as a matter of fact
AP = Affair Partner
ASAP = as soon as possible
ASAP = as soon as possible
b/c = because
BAK = back at keyboard
BBFN = bye bye for now
BBL = be back later
BBS = be back soon
BF = boyfriend or best friend
BFN = bye for now
BH = Betrayed Husband
BIL = brother-in-law
BK = back
BRB = be right back
BRBGGP = be right back gotta go potty
BS = Betrayed Spouse
BSC = Bat sh*t crazy
BTDT = been there, done that
BTW = by the way
BW = Betrayed Wife
CRAFT = can't remember a fricking thing
CRS = can't remember stuff (or use your imagination for S)
CSA = Childhood Sexual Abuse
CU = see you
CUL8R = see you later
CWIM = see what I mean
CYA = see ya
DB = dear boyfriend
DC = dear child
DD = dear daughter
D-Day = divorce day -or- affair Discovery Day
DF = dear fiancée
DG = dear girlfriend
DH = dear husband
DS = dear son
DSD = dear stepdaughter
DSS = dear stepson
DW = dear wife
EA = emotional affair
exH = ex husband
exW = ex wife
FIL = father-in-law
FOO = Family of Origin
FTR = for the record
FWH = former wayward husband
FWIW = for what it's worth
FWW = former wayward wife
FYI = for your information
GF = girlfriend
GMTA = great minds think alike
GNO = Girls Night Out
GP = general practitioner
GTG = got to go
HD = High drive (sexual)
HTH = HTH hope this helps
IBRB = I’ll be right back
IC = Individual counseling
IDK = I don't know
IIRC = if I recall correctly
ILYNILWYA = "I love you, not in love with you anymore."
IMHO = in my humble opinion
IMNSHO = in my not so humble opinion
IMO = in my opinion
ISSF = I’m so sexually frustrated
J/J = just joking
J/K = just kidding
KISA = Knight in Shining Armor
KWIM = know what I mean
LD = low drive (sexual drive)
LMAO = laughing my ass off
LOL = laughing out loud
LOL = laughing out loud
LOLROF = laughing out load, rolling on floor
LTNS = long time no see
MC = marriage counseling
MIL = mother-in-law
MYOB = mind your own business
NC = No Contact
NE = any
NMS = not my style
NMSAA = not my style at all
NP = no problem
OM = other man
OMG = oh my gosh
ONS = one night stand
OP = original poster
OSF = OSF Opposite Sex Friends
OT = off topic
OTOH = ON THE OTHER HAND
OW = other woman
PA = physical affair
PA = (sometimes) passive aggressive
PIV = penis in vagina referring to "traditional" sex
PM = private message
POV = POV point of view
PP = previous poster
PUA = Pick Up Artist
ROF = rolling on floor
ROFL = rolling on floor laughing
ROFLMAO = rolling on floor laughing my a** off
ROFLOL = rolling on floor laughing out loud
ROTF = rolling on the floor
SAHD = stay-at-home dad
SAHM = stay-at-home mom
SAHP = stay-at-home parent
SIL = sister-in-law
SNAFU = situation normal all fouled up
SO = significant other
SOL = sh** out of luck
SOS = same old stuff (or use you imagination)
STBX = soon to be ex
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
TAM = Talk About Marriage
T/J = thread jack
TIA = thanks in advance
TMI = too much information
TOM = the other man
TOW = the other woman
TTFN = tata for now
TTYL = talk to you later
UR = your or you're
VAR = voice activated recorder
W/E = whatever
WAH = work at home
WAW = Walk Away Wife
WB = welcome back
WH = Wayward Husband
WOH = work out of the home
WS = Wayward Spouse
WTG = way to go
WW = Wayward Wife
YW = your welcome

180 for Betrayed Spouses

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Thanks for the advice. She doesn't seem to want to work things out. When I confronted her, she of course said she was sorry. I told her if we have any chance of moving forward I would need 100% honesty and asked to see her phone, but she refused. She said I broke her trust by going through her phone messages while she was sleeping. What a joke. I asked her to leave the house and stay with a friend. She got angry and said that this is her house and that I should leave! I finally got her to leave by calling the spouse of her lover (they were both good friends of ours) and as I got her on the phone she says "Fine I'll leave, please don't tell her". She says it's not my place to tell her and it should be him that confesses. Apparently their family is more important to her than ours. :(

Sooo,
Your ex cheated. Lies about everything but what you know. She cares more about AP and his wife finding out than your own kids and you. She wants to lie to the kids because she has zero conscience about what she’s done and as long as she doesn’t look the bad guy to anyone, she’s fine.
She loves you (yeah, you betray people you really care about), but not in love with you... yeah hard to be in love with your husband with a vagina full of another man’s penis, huh?

Your wife is a pretty classical remorseless, disgusting, sad excuse for a parent and person.

There’s nothing for you here except divorce.

You are doing well to see your Dr.

Having one’s life and future as they currently see it destroyed is really hard, as is finding out the person you thought you loved is a DIFFERENT kind of human than you thought—- really tough to get past.

But get past it you will. I went through it. You can as well. My future is a lot brighter without my ex.
Yours will be,too. This is a gift. You’ll see it that way,
too, eventually. Sorry for your pain.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Of course this a huge shock for you but it is not time to be weak. It is time for you to get your game face on and act accordingly.

1. Do the 180 on her, no communication about the affair, your marriage, only about absolutely necessary things like the house, kids, etc. Read about the purpose of the 180, it is to help you get a solid footing and disengage, you have to be willing to lose this marriage to save it. Either way it will help you to get focus.

2. Go and see a lawyer as to what your options are. See whether you can ask her to leave the home. Good move to kick her out of the house.

3. Act as if you totally believe her i.e. that the marriage is over and you are moving on. Go to the gym, go out with friends, try not to be around so much. Do not ask her anything about where she is, don't tell her anything about what you are doing.

4. Tell her there must be full disclosure, OM's name, etc. She must do a timeline of her affair. Then contact OM's wife (she ought to know). DO NOT COVER FOR THEM. Of course she doesn't want this exposed. Stop listening to your lying cheating wife. Everything she is saying is exactly from the cheater's handbook. Bes strong, swift and decisive and cut this affair at its roots. Tell the OM's wife NOW, tell all her and your family and friends, do not cover this up. Affairs only thrive in darkness. Even if your marriage doesn't work out, it sure doesn't have a chance while the affair is going on

Exposing will blow up the affair and your wife may want you as her Plan B. Don't ever consider being her Plan B. If you expose the affair she will be angry, let her, smile and tell her that your are not going to cover for her while she destroys two families.

5. If the marriage is to work, she must consent to 'No contact" full IC followed by MC. She is probably in the affair fog and is willing to blow up her family because of it. Yes you may have contributed to the problems in the marriage but that is no excuse for what she is doing, cheating with another woman's husband and destroying their family too. Typical selfishness of a cheater.

6. Tell your family and close friends what is happening. Do not cover for her, expose, expose, expose. The affair fog usually begins to dissipate when there has to be accountability and it is no longer so exciting when every one knows your wife is being a ****. You do not have to protect her from this fall out. Go completely scorched earth, find your inner anger.

7. YOu must take decisive action and follow the above, whatever you do, do NOT cry, beg, plead under no circumstances as that will drive a nail further into the coffin of your marriage. Much of this is counter intuitive because you are scared to lose the marriage but she will have the upper hand if you don't take back control in this way.

BTW how are your kids?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for the responses and help. I know everyone is saying I have to be strong but this is all a shock to me, I can't believe it is really happening. Not being emotional about all of it is easier said than done... how do people just stop thinking about what happened and get their "game face on"? How can you not cry when you think about how sad/confused/hurt/angry your kids will be when you tell them and they demand to know why? This kind of pain isn't something I'd wish on anyone, let alone my kids.

The biggest mistakes most betrayed spouse make is believing they cause the affair
Well I certainly could have done better at times, being depressed and anti-social is not something I wanted. I did and still do really want to change, I've in fact been changing (contacting old friends that I've lost touch with, playing sports I used to play, etc). But I agree with you, my faults were something that I could work on, whereas her affair is like throwing a bomb in the middle of everything. Even if she wanted to separate, I can't think of a crueler thing she could have done to me.

The second worst mistake is not informing the other mans wife.
Well I kind of used this as a way for her to leave the house on Friday night. She has been back since Saturday afternoon by the way. We actually had made dinner plans a while ago for them to come over Saturday along with another family whom we're all friends with. Of course I told my wife to cancel it. When I had the other man's wife on the phone Friday night, I didn't tell her and I think I started mumbling some nonsense. She seemed to have understood that I wanted to meet up with the other man (we were friends, used to play sports, watch rugby, have BBQs, etc.), but then Saturday night she texts me saying that she was confused because he wasn't aware of any plans. And she was also wondering as to why my wife cancelled last minute and asked if everything was OK. I replied that I was sorry about the confusion and asked if she had to time talk. I haven't heard anything from her since then. I'm pretty sure that made her suspicious since I generally speak directly to her husband if we do hang out, and she probably asked him what was going on. I have a feeling he knows that the jig is up and confessed to her. I texted her again Sunday morning asking if she was OK, and to let me know if she wanted to talk. But no response.

She wants to lie to the kids because she has zero conscience about what she’s done and as long as she doesn’t look the bad guy to anyone, she’s fine.
Well she doesn't want to lie, she just wants to leave out what she did. And I don't want to use the "we stopped loving each other" line because that would be lying to them. I loved her...
After reading a bit on how to talk to kids about this, it seems expert agree that she is right, i.e. that it's important to avoid blaming: "Your children do not need to hear from either of you the faults of the other – remember, you are the people they love and are closest to in their whole world – that won’t change for them even if it has for you." I just don't know what I'd say when they ask why.

you have to be willing to lose this marriage to save it.
I think it is beyond saving at this point, as she pretty much made up her mind on Friday when she refused to show me her phone. And honestly, I don't know if that is something I want myself. This kind of betrayal is not something I will ever forget. I have a hard time with the mental images of them together and haven't been sleeping for more than a few hours a night. I can't lay down without thinking about it.

Tell her there must be full disclosure, OM's name, etc. She must do a timeline of her affair.
I asked her on Friday as I think it is human nature to want to know every last detail. She just told me they slept together a few times in the past month, but remained vague. I didn't push for details because I realized I couldn't believe anything she says anymore anyways. As much as I want to know, what is the point of asking for full disclosure and a timeline? At this point if we decided we need to separate it seems strange to go back to her and ask for that.

Also this step is confusing because in step one about doing the 180, you said "no communication about the affair".

Tell the OM's wife NOW, tell all her and your family and friends, do not cover this up. Affairs only thrive in darkness. Even if your marriage doesn't work out, it sure doesn't have a chance while the affair is going on
As I mentioned above, although I didn't tell his wife yet, I have a feeling she now knows and confronted OM. I understand that I need to tell her, if I were in her place I would want to know. I have talked to my parents about it as well. But I don't understand why I need to let everyone else know, her family? her friends? What do I do, just call them up and say "Hi just calling to let you know that we're separating because she cheated on me. Ok bye." That just seems weird and kind of petty to be honest...

If you expose the affair she will be angry, let her, smile and tell her that your are not going to cover for her while she destroys two families.
I don't plan on hiding it from people... but actively calling her friends and family just to let them know seems like a different thing.

If the marriage is to work, she must consent to 'No contact" full IC followed by MC. She is probably in the affair fog and is willing to blow up her family because of it.
I've already asked if she wants to make this work on Friday, by first being completely honest and transparent. Apparently, that was too much. At this point I don't think this is recoverable.

BTW how are your kids?
We haven't said anything to them yet, but I'm pretty sure the 11 year old knows something's not right... she saw my wife crying and leaving on Friday night. She is the quiet type though and hasn't said anything. I just let her know that we just had an argument but that everything will be OK.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Well I certainly could have done better at times, being depressed and anti-social is not something I wanted. I did and still do really want to change, I've in fact been changing (contacting old friends that I've lost touch with, playing sports I used to play, etc). But I agree with you, my faults were something that I could work on, whereas her affair is like throwing a bomb in the middle of everything. Even if she wanted to separate, I can't think of a crueler thing she could have done to me.

The affair is al on her you aren't perfect but neither is she. Did you have an affair?

Well I kind of used this as a way for her to leave the house on Friday night. She has been back since Saturday afternoon by the way. We actually had made dinner plans a while ago for them to come over Saturday along with another family whom we're all friends with. Of course I told my wife to cancel it. When I had the other man's wife on the phone Friday night, I didn't tell her and I think I started mumbling some nonsense. She seemed to have understood that I wanted to meet up with the other man (we were friends, used to play sports, watch rugby, have BBQs, etc.), but then Saturday night she texts me saying that she was confused because he wasn't aware of any plans. And she was also wondering as to why my wife cancelled last minute and asked if everything was OK.

Like I said he never told her a thing.

I replied that I was sorry about the confusion and asked if she had to time talk.but then Saturday night she texts me saying that she was confused because he wasn't aware of any plans. And she was also wondering as to why my wife cancelled last minute and asked if everything was OK. I haven't heard anything from her since then. I'm pretty sure that made her suspicious since I generally speak directly to her husband if we do hang out, and she probably asked him what was going on. I have a feeling he knows that the jig is up and confessed to her. I texted her again Sunday morning asking if she was OK, and to let me know if she wanted to talk. But no response.

Nope, all cheaters lie, hide and deny. Would you want to be kept in the dark if she knew before you? You are helping cover up the affair. This is just an excuse not to do what's needed. Big mistake on your part. What's this getting you? It often enables the affair. You can work on nothing while that's going on. Don't think it stops just because you found out.

Well she doesn't want to lie, she just wants to leave out what she did. And I don't want to use the "we stopped loving each other" line because that would be lying to them. I loved her...

She's lieing by omission

After reading a bit on how to talk to kids about this, it seems expert agree that she is right, i.e. that it's important to avoid blaming: "Your children do not need to hear from either of you the faults of the other – remember, you are the people they love and are closest to in their whole world – that won’t change for them even if it has for you." I just don't know what I'd say when they ask why.

Keep them in the dark won't do them any good. More excuses to dodge any conflict. I've seen this played both ways. The truth in a sanitized way is always best.

I think it is beyond saving at this point, as she pretty much made up her mind on Friday when she refused to show me her phone. And honestly, I don't know if that is something I want myself. This kind of betrayal is not something I will ever forget. I have a hard time with the mental images of them together and haven't been sleeping for more than a few hours a night. I can't lay down without thinking about it.

If you expose and her other man dumps her. She'll probably change her tune. But right now you are keeping yourself in limbo

I asked her on Friday as I think it is human nature to want to know every last detail. She just told me they slept together a few times in the past month, but remained vague. I didn't push for details because I realized I couldn't believe anything she says anymore anyways. As much as I want to know, what is the point of asking for full disclosure and a timeline? At this point if we decided we need to separate it seems strange to go back to her and ask for that.

She's not committed so she's not going to tell you anymore than you know. It's called trickle truthing.

Also this step is confusing because in step one about doing the 180, you said "no communication about the affair".

Then why are you speaking with her at all? Kids or business only.

As I mentioned above, although I didn't tell his wife yet, I have a feeling she now knows and confronted OM. I understand that I need to tell her, if I were in her place I would want to know. I have talked to my parents about it as well. But I don't understand why I need to let everyone else know, her family? her friends? What do I do, just call them up and say "Hi just calling to let you know that we're separating because she cheated on me. Ok bye." That just seems weird and kind of petty to be honest...

You need to tell his wife. No need for full exposure at this time.

I don't plan on hiding it from people... but actively calling her friends and family just to let them know seems like a different thing.

I've already asked if she wants to make this work on Friday, by first being completely honest and transparent. Apparently, that was too much. At this point I don't think this is recoverable.

Big mistake offering her R upfront. It takes two. At this time you are letting her have control of the situation when it should be you. Don't jump into Marriage counseling either. Most will just rugsweep or put it on you. It takes two to R and the full truth. At this time she's not R material..

We haven't said anything to them yet, but I'm pretty sure the 11 year old knows something's not right... she saw my wife crying and leaving on Friday night. She is the quiet type though and hasn't said anything. I just let her know that we just had an argument but that everything will be OK.
It seems like you're asking for advice but are hesitant to take charge. She put you in this place you're in but it will be up to you to get out of it. The Calvary isn't coming.

Better wake up and get strong fast or you will linger in the limbo hell your wayward wife has put you in.

You are the only one that can keep you there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts