Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Let me guess.

You've met a new 'friend' at work or online or on Facebook or at the Piggly Wiggly while picking up milk and eggs and suddenly, you're realizing just how empty your marriage has been all these years. But alas, your wife hasn't worked since Hector was a pup and she's now 50 with no job experience at all and zero marketability in the the job market. So it stands to reason you could be on the hook for possibly lifetime alimony since your wife hasn't worked in so long and has no feasible means to support herself in the lifestyle to which she's become accustomed.

Secondly, she's also entitled to a portion of your 401k and retirement accounts since she's been with you for so many years. Third, every asset you've both acquired these last 23 years would be split right down the middle.

And of course, there's the matter of your kids who will no doubt be unhappy with their father because he was supposed to grow old and retire with their mom and here he is suddenly wanting out and rewriting the history of his marriage because he got a wild hair up his ass.

So the question is, how does one extricate this albatross from around his neck successfully and in a way that everyone's happy?

When you find out the answer to that, can you let me know? I'm curious as hell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that’s pretty judgmental for forums to help one another. But, no there is no one else that has my interest for your information. Sounds like that happened to you. You sound bitter, I’m sorry you’re miserable.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Do I stay and be unhappy and take the chance for happiness? Feel stuck.
Don't stay and be unhappy, nor take the chance for it. Get un-stuck. There are many choices you can make. One such choice is to try to re-start your marriage. I'm not saying this is always possible, but it is worth the effort you will make, you may indeed be rewarded for your effort.

There are other activities you can take responsibly and morally.... learn a new discipline, play golf, go fishing, develop friendships outside your marriage, the list of worthwhile things is endless.

·
Administrator
43,577 Posts
Hello, been reading some posts for a while and decided to join for some advice. Married to my wife for 23 yrs. We have 3 adult children. I have not felt the way l should in this marriage. Meaning no compassion, love, this seems more friendly than anything. She would be devastated if we split, she was a stay at home for years and no job now at 49. Do I stay and be unhappy and take the chance for happiness? Feel stuck.
Thanks everyone
Tell me about your marriage. For example...

How many hours a week do you and your wife spend in quality time together, just the two of you? That means without your children, friends, and extended family?

·
Administrator
43,577 Posts
Well that’s pretty judgmental for forums to help one another. But, no there is no one else that has my interest for your information. Sounds like that happened to you. You sound bitter, I’m sorry you’re miserable.
This is a public forum. Just ignore that posts that you feel have no value for you. If they are really bad and break forum rules, you can report them. There are three dots (in a vertical row) at the top right of each post. Click on that and select "report".

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hello, been reading some posts for a while and decided to join for some advice. Married to my wife for 23 yrs. We have 3 adult children. I have not felt the way l should in this marriage. Meaning no compassion, love, this seems more friendly than anything. She would be devastated if we split, she was a stay at home for years and no job now at 49. Do I stay and be unhappy and take the chance for happiness? Feel stuck.
Thanks everyone
A lot of talk about how you feel about her... how does she feel about you? Have either of you been in therapy previously? MC?

·
Administrator
43,577 Posts
We spend a lot of time together, that’s not the issue. Bottom line is I’m not in love and never was. We dated for a short time, she got pregnant and we married. Then life happens and here we are.. I’d hate to hurt her.
When you spend all this time together, what sort of things do you do? How many hours a week do you two spend doing this?

Look, I'm asking for a reason, so I hope you will answer.

·
Banned
2,997 Posts
Everyone is asking questions that should come later.

Tell us what is going on in your marriage. What at the issues.

Are you saying that you got married and did not want to?

Tell us more about what is going on so that we may advise you better...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bottom line is I’m not in love and never was.
But, the fact that you would hate to hurt her.... tells me you love her. Because, that's what love is.....

Tell us the things about your wife that are good reasons you should be in love with her. I mean, if you were a different guy, and you met your wife, what would cause you to fall in love with her ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like you are looking to others to make you happy. God did not equip your wife, nor anyone else to make you happy. You say you have no compassion for her and yet you stayed with her for 23 years and you don't want to hurt her. To me, that in itself shows compassion. Is it possible that you have needs that are not being met? Are you meeting hers? In my opinion, you need to do a deep dive into what's really going on here and get to the root of your unhappiness.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
OP,
Kindly, the information you've shared so far is typical and generic.

The one detail revealed so far is your W is a sahm/w, your three kids are now grown, and you're feeling like you have a little freedom in your life now but also feel like your W is holding you back.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Carlos Castaneda:

"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse."

Your choice.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sorry for that. There are plenty who will not jump to conclusions, so be patient. That said, realize that when you put out enough that we see you are the cause or part of the cause, we will not hesitate to throw it out there. Not to be mean or bitter, but to point out your errors for you to fix. We're not invested in your friendship, so it's no skin off our back to be bluntly, albeit courteously, honest with you.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
We spend a lot of time together, that’s not the issue. Bottom line is I’m not in love and never was. We dated for a short time, she got pregnant and we married. Then life happens and here we are.. I’d hate to hurt her.
Just to be clear. Love was never truly a part of this marriage? It was done purely for the child?

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have not felt the way l should in this marriage. Meaning no compassion, love, this seems more friendly than anything. She would be devastated if we split, she was a stay at home for years and no job now at 49. Do I stay and be unhappy and take the chance for happiness? Feel stuck.
So, have YOU ever investigated WHY you have no compassion for your wife? No love? 23 YEARS is a LONG time to not have ever had these feelings for her. Yes, you got her pregnant and married her BUT YOU HAD 2 MORE kids with her? Have you done any Individual counseling to discuss this and learn about yourself?
If you had no compassion/love for her, that means to me that you didn't do normal activities with her that would have engendered that love/compassion to grow -- is that the case?

You mention that you did MC but she didn't like that -- why didn't she like it?

Also, you mention that she would be devastated -- I think this DOES point to how strong your feelings are for her. Maybe you need to reflect a bit on that?

What specifically do you feel is lacking from her in the marriage? Marriage isn't a Hallmark movie -- it takes WORK to make it a solid relationship. LOTS of work and communication.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
So, have YOU ever investigated WHY you have no compassion for your wife? No love? 23 YEARS is a LONG time to not have ever had these feelings for her. Yes, you got her pregnant and married her BUT YOU HAD 2 MORE kids with her? Have you done any Individual counseling to discuss this and learn about yourself?
If you had no compassion/love for her, that means to me that you didn't do normal activities with her that would have engendered that love/compassion to grow -- is that the case?

You mention that you did MC but she didn't like that -- why didn't she like it?

Also, you mention that she would be devastated -- I think this DOES point to how strong your feelings are for her. Maybe you need to reflect a bit on that?

What specifically do you feel is lacking from her in the marriage? Marriage isn't a Hallmark movie -- it takes WORK to make it a solid relationship. LOTS of work and communication.
This was the point I was getting to but didn't want to write it up.

Well said!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts