Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Advice on reconnecting with Wife

30K views 148 replies 22 participants last post by  MovingForward 
#1 ·
Hi I was hoping for advice from woman who have been in my Wives shoes or Husbands who have made the same mistakes I have.

We have been Married for 12 years and had a lot of great times, two beautiful children and a ton of fun, somewhere over the last 2 years things started to deteriorate, looking back I closed my self off from people, went through a rough patch at work and was going through the motions in life, instead of leaning on her tried to handle it all myself and ended up making her feel rejected and unloved, she tried to tell me she was feeling like this but in my haze I didn't see or hear.

Deep down I felt something not quite right but didn't know what or how to resolve it. Looking back I can see all this now and understand where I ****ed up but it took her telling me she wanted a divorce for me to realize this, I felt completely blindsided at first and I know that's my own fault.

I want so badly to undo the bad feelings I have left her with and to be the husband she deserves and I really feel like I can do that but not sure if it is too late?

She told me she is not sure if she can open back up to me again because she tried for so long and got so hurt she detached herself from me, she still loves me but is not in love with me currently.

If anyone has experienced this and got through it please help with any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been there. You can turn it around. I did after I realized how I was not attentive to my W.

1. Look your W in the eyes and with all sincerity in your heart let her know you are going to turn this around.
2. Return to dating like you did when you were dating. Movies, dinner, walks and day trips.
3. Random notes.
4. Always tell your W you appreciate her and everything she does.
5. Spend at least 15 hours per week doing something together.

#5 ·
I understand completely.

Take a moment to let this sink in...your W(like mine) felt neglected for years. In my case, about 20. I'm a great dad and provider. My W will tell anyone that. Of those 20 years I was great at those two things but being a H I was not. Of those 20 years my W could have gone off to anyone or whatever but she did not. My W hoped and stayed course. Told me time and time again that sex was lacking. I ignored and felt I was doing enough. Just the idea that my W stayed the course until I would "get it" really got me. My W thought enough of me to wait and hope I came around! From that point on I completely changed my entire marriage and way I communicated/interacted with my W.

It is all in your actions. These actions must have staying power. Not just a flash in the pan then back to the old you. Through these actions your W should see you are turning it around.

#4 ·
Absolutely. But there has to be open communication. In a LTR there are likely to be bouts of stress, depression, withdrawal, etc. Particularly with work, kids, financial strain, etc.

Be honest and own up to this. Discuss what a LTR means in terms of supporting each other, but also recognizing when you are the one with issues. Be open to the insights of your partner.

Your W may respond much better if you talk about how you feel about this, admit mistakes, and ask for help. Women tend to be more emotionally attuned, and she may react positively to your requests for help.

I pulled back harshly after getting a cancer diagnosis, and my w responded the same way. We both protected ourselves - in my case I WANTED to pull support because I didn't want her and the kids to rely on me if I were going to die. But I worked through it and then I talked about it and confronted her pullback as well. Neither of us really wanted that and we worked hard to rebuild intimacy. We had drifted anyway through life though we were always each other's best friend.

So pull her back and allow yourself to feel vulnerable and tell her you understand why she is apprehensive about making herself vulnerable again. It's part of life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I feel bad for you. Although she will tell you that she tried to tell you she was unhappy for a long time, she wasn't getting through to you and I think that's on her. It's wrong to all of the sudden hit someone with a divorce without them understanding beforehand something needs to change or it could lead to a divorce. I think men face this all the time. Since they are unfairly tasked with being responsible for all the finances, it takes such a toll on them they can take on anything else. Then their wives figure they will cash in and take their half while saying BS that they were unloved and ignored. Marriages today are built to fail in this regard.

#8 ·
jb, what century are you living in? Many women in marriages today work and equally contribute financially (and sometimes are the breadwinners), and they stand to lose just as much in a divorce as the man does. Granted, I live in an urban area where many women are educated and have careers--but the majority of America lives in urban centers in the 21st century. And modern divorce laws don't favor women as much as they used to.

I understand that your marriage is bad, but that bitterness filters in and colors nearly every post of yours that I read, and it makes me sad.

#7 ·
I have to wonder about the hit the rough patch at work part. During the great recession my company cut 40% of staff and there were days we thought we'd go under. I don't recall my wife being remotely concerned or me making it an issue at all. I went thru the motions like everyone else.

Could you shed some light into the types of issues you encountered, your response, and your wife's expectations vs reality? I'm not of the "blame the guy first" mindset because work issues when you have young children can be very stressful, and any partner worth their marital salt would be expected to be understanding.

#9 ·
@CMB82

It can be done. Learn what a good marriage can look like and how a man should act first. Then make a plan to move forward. Be the captain, chart a course and she may follow. Even if you can't repair the M, you'll be better a better partner, father, and man.

Start here...

A Summary of Dr. Harley's Basic Concepts

Fall in Love, Stay in Love, Willard F. Harley

8 Tools That Will Change Your Life | The Art of Manliness

Hold on to Your NUTs: The Relationship Manual for Men, Wayne M. Levine

Best

Reactions: MovingForward
#10 ·
CM, no doubt you have a tough road ahead of you.

I want to caution you as you begin to revive your marriage. One of the single largest problems in this process is that the one who was taken for granted has a tendency to overcompensate by doing things that are not for the benefit of the marriage, and are driven by resentment.

While that is understandable to a degree, it doesn't make it acceptable. Your trick is going to be finding a way to walk that fine line between being remorseful and still enforcing boundaries.

When this happens, you are going to have to be able to firmly, without any anger, tell her that her actions are unacceptable.

Resentment will cause her to justify her actions by how you treated her at one time. Do not allow it.

If you do not enforce boundaries during this process, you will have essentially saved a marriage that wasn't worth saving. You need to take the approach that you are going to either revive a healthy marriage, or take a dying one off life support.

I would suggest that you read a book called Hold On To Your N.U.T.'s by Wayne Levine.

Good luck, and keep posting.

#11 ·
I work a Commission Job and was sole provider financially for us all, lots of pressure in the build up to get to the point of being financially stable and I dreaded going to work each morning but felt trapped and ended up coming home frustrated and angry most evenings. She ran the house and felt undervalued and under appreciated which was never my Intention but I guess my actions showed otherwise. This has all passed but she disconnected during this point and it has taken me a long time to see that, its been one big miscommunication

1)I didn't realize she was hurt at first
2)I thought she was nitpicking and attacking me all the time
3)She thought I didn't care
4)She stops showing affection
5)I feel rejected
6)Boom here we are.

All could have been solved if i had pulled my head out the sand earlier.

#14 ·
I work a Commission Job and was sole provider financially for us all, lots of pressure in the build up to get to the point of being financially stable and I dreaded going to work each morning but felt trapped and ended up coming home frustrated and angry most evenings. She ran the house and felt undervalued and under appreciated which was never my Intention but I guess my actions showed otherwise. This has all passed but she disconnected during this point and it has taken me a long time to see that, its been one big miscommunication

5)I feel rejected
6)Boom here we are.

And you own up to that. For many, when one owns up to their misgivings, etc. it opens up the conversation and course to repair/correct what went wrong. Lay it all out of the table.

In no uncertain terms and point blank I told my W I was a complete idiot for not listening and acknowledging what she was saying. In now fully understanding the issue I told my W I will turn it around and be the H she hoped(prayed) for all those years. With my actions I was able to turn the marriage around and be all that my W hoped I would be.

#12 ·

5)I feel rejected
6)Boom here we are.

#15 ·
Have you excluded the obvious? (Affair)
Surprised nobody mentioned that. I am not usually the one to extrapolate first.
It is unusual to just decide to leave like this. People do go through rough patches and a strong partnership usually can work through these things.
I am hesitant to recommend fighting for her, in case there is someone else (if there is, there is much less chance of success). If there definitely isn't, I don't think all is lost.

#16 ·
@CMB82,

Acknowledge your mistakes and correct them. When we know better we do better. Do not wallow in self punishment. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get to work.

"No one is ready for marriage. Marriage makes you ready for marriage." - David Schnarch

Reactions: MovingForward
#56 ·
Everyone here is awfully optimistic about your chances of success, which yes, is a nice thought, and some have succeeded. I am here from the other side, in that I WAS your wife...and I was DONE. After years of being ignored, treated as less than, etc...I was DONE and there wasnt a damn thing he could have done to make me stay or change my mind. I lost a lot of what respect I had left for him when, after I said I was leaving, he got clingy and overbearing... that made me run even faster, and I had already had my arrangements made.

Not trying to be a downer, but giving you the reality of another viewpoint.

#57 ·
Everyone here is awfully optimistic about your chances of success, which yes, is a nice thought, and some have succeeded. I am here from the other side, in that I WAS your wife...and I was DONE. After years of being ignored, treated as less than, etc...I was DONE and there wasnt a damn thing he could have done to make me stay or change my mind. I lost a lot of what respect I had left for him when, after I said I was leaving, he got clingy and overbearing... that made me run even faster, and I had already had my arrangements made.

Not trying to be a downer, but giving you the reality of another viewpoint.

You did that after 2 years of your h being focused on work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#61 ·
You need to read @DayOne story. The only thread I know of on this board that saved his marriage with a walk away wife http://talkaboutmarriage.com/reconciliation/221290-day-one.html

As others point out, do not look to her, she has already outlined most of the issues. Look to yourself and use independent actions addressing these issues. Look how long Dayone went not talking with his wife. How many times he had to keep guessing. Look at how much distance she demanded.

To start create the family life she wanted. Become the active father. Become the thoughtful guy in ways that involve the entire family. Do you make breakfast? How about making Sunday brunch with the kids? Let her read a book until the meal is ready.

Posted ideas on random acts of kindness. Don't ask her for ideas and don't ask for validation afterwards. I.e, did you like ....? If she acts resentful just shrug and say I understand but don't read anything into it, I don't. I didn't do it for you, or us, I did it for myself because I feit good doing it ! Do the samethimg with your kids.

Keep going to MC!! Post their advise here at first because their are a lot of idots.

#62 ·
CMB82,

Very important question: what type of sales (not what but type) are in.

For example hard sell one and done like car, or regular competitive bid periodically which is really one and done.

Or long term regular interaction which invovles providing goods or services and require integration into multiple aspects of a business? For example legal services. Yes it involves sales. New manufacturing process, legal issues, insurance issues etc. All of which the attorney provides a sold service for. New regulations or court rulings involving personal. The attorney provides pre-sold service to advise ownership, HR dept and department heads on how to implement. While the term used for payment is fees truth is they are commission.

The answer is important because each type of sales require a different skill set. The skill set you have will bleed over into your personal relationships. One will get you though the door quickly and often, and get you out of trouble till it does not (walk away wife). The other first and foremost keeps on the room and out of trouble.

#70 ·
Yes he did but the question is what now and what going forward. We only know what we he posts. What he posts is a daily, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, decade long fatigue with flash of joy that at a point in time never include him. Two people, one space in complete isolation.

Hence my question about what type of sales. Each requires a different interpersonal skill set.

What stands out about DayOne's thread is his grim determination. How he kept postings and engaging posters in trying to discover how to be a better husband. How his wife finally engaged with him and after time began to learn how to engage with him. Learn to engage with him when the marriage began to renew. She began to learn his language and how to use it as he did her's.

#74 ·
Looks like it is over, she is filing for Divorce and has a Mediator booked. She said she loves me but is not in Love and feels like she should have stronger feelings for a husband and she can't see herself being happy with me again as too much has happened.

We are putting house on Market next week but will continue to be living together until it sells.

Not sure what I should be doing anymore feeling very lost.

#76 ·
How do you detach? I wanted to move out but read it can be classed as abandonment, lose me child privileges and also end up costing me more showing I am willing to support 2 households.

Weird she is being super nice, gave me a massage last night, slept in same bed, she hugged me all night told me I am so special to her and we both made mistakes etc and we will always be part of each others lives. Its hard when I still want it to work and Clinging on to some hope.

#79 ·
I agree with @3Xnocharm. If she's decided that she's done with the marriage and she's filed, there's not much to be done. Focus on taking care of yourself the best you can, and be sure to consult your own lawyer before meeting with the mediator.

I forget, are you in IC? If now, now would be a good time for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.