Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a bit of drama going on lately, so I wanted to post something fun. Please keep in mind that while my wife is a working woman, I'm retired, do the cooking, keep the house, and spend my days in the workshop so this is a managed hobby LOL. She does laundry though, I suck at it. We watch movies but not much TV.

My wife and I are still basically newlyweds. When we got serious she knew that I enjoyed gaming as a more "senior" gamer. I have a very wide gaming social circle on both the PS4 and Xbox, something that I cultivated during many lonely late-nights before I got remarried. We don't do "squeakers", we are adults-only, men, women, couples, etc. It was such a lifesaver for me when I was going through my divorce. The Division in the Dark Zone...lots of good times, not to mention Destiny. I started a Facebook group for our gaming group and it is a lot of fun.

My wife had never done any gaming except on her phone. But, when she started spending more time here she really got into all of the trash talk and fun we'd have online. So, we settled on PS4, I bought her one, and now we game together. Not Call of Duty or anything like that, we do Coop games like Ark Survival Evolved, which she has completely fallen in love with and has basically become an Ark encyclopedia. Warframe is another of her favorites.

During the lockdown when we were both at home all day, I played The Witcher III. She watched me during over 100 hours of gameplay, to include the expansions, and has become a rabid fan of the Witcher world. She ordered and read the books, we binged the Netflix series TWICE, she had me put up a shelf for all of the Witcher stuff she ordered and made it very clear that she was Team Triss. To her, Yennifer is a manipulative biotch. So now, The Witcher has kinda taken over our house, and she says she now fantasizes about me in a wooden tub.

Next, I played Days Gone, and last week the Collector's Edition showed up on our doorstep. She absolutely loved the story, not to mention the statue we have of Deacon sitting next to his motorcycle, which my wife says is hot. She wants to watch me play the remastered Witcher III on PS5, and pre-ordered Cyberpunk. It's gotten to the point that I can't play a story-driven game unless she's here to watch. I've created a monster :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I've had a bit of drama going on lately, so I wanted to post something fun. Please keep in mind that while my wife is a working woman, I'm retired, do the cooking, keep the house, and spend my days in the workshop so this is a managed hobby LOL. She does laundry though, I suck at it. We watch movies but not much TV.

My wife and I are still basically newlyweds. When we got serious she knew that I enjoyed gaming as a more "senior" gamer. I have a very wide gaming social circle on both the PS4 and Xbox, something that I cultivated during many lonely late-nights before I got remarried. We don't do "squeakers", we are adults-only, men, women, couples, etc. It was such a lifesaver for me when I was going through my divorce. The Division in the Dark Zone...lots of good times, not to mention Destiny. I started a Facebook group for our gaming group and it is a lot of fun.

My wife had never done any gaming except on her phone. But, when she started spending more time here she really got into all of the trash talk and fun we'd have online. So, we settled on PS4, I bought her one, and now we game together. Not Call of Duty or anything like that, we do Coop games like Ark Survival Evolved, which she has completely fallen in love with and has basically become an Ark encyclopedia. Warframe is another of her favorites.

During the lockdown when we were both at home all day, I played The Witcher III. She watched me during over 100 hours of gameplay, to include the expansions, and has become a rabid fan of the Witcher world. She ordered and read the books, we binged the Netflix series TWICE, she had me put up a shelf for all of the Witcher stuff she ordered and made it very clear that she was Team Triss. To her, Yennifer is a manipulative biotch. So now, The Witcher has kinda taken over our house, and she says she now fantasizes about me in a wooden tub.

Next, I played Days Gone, and last week the Collector's Edition showed up on our doorstep. She absolutely loved the story, not to mention the statue we have of Deacon sitting next to his motorcycle, which my wife says is hot. She wants to watch me play the remastered Witcher III on PS5, and pre-ordered Cyberpunk. It's gotten to the point that I can't play a story-driven game unless she's here to watch. I've created a monster :cool:
Congratulations! Gaming is one of the best bonding experiences you can have with your partner, you can explore whole universes together! It's nothing like TV or movies but something surreal.

My partner is Team Yen, and hates Triss for using Geralt and seducing him while he lost his memory, and also reckons there's no excuse for Gerald cheating on Yen.

Single player is all well and good but Coop is best for couples. I never played multiplayer unless with her, never liked it. We have an arsenal of coop games heres some recommendations from casual to hardcore:
  • Overcooked series (expect screaming and lots of laughs)
  • Helldivers (expect even more screaming and lots of laughs)
  • Tomb Raider Guardian of Light series (good puzzle gameplay for coop)
  • Trine series (as above)
  • Divinity Original Sin series (a bit slower pace for coop but more strategic)
  • Black Desert Online (good world, gameplay so so)
  • Empyrion (Best survival coop game so far crash land on an alien world, build a home together, then a ship, and explore the stars together)
  • Star Wars Old republic (currently what we are playing now, it's amazing couple play the best we have had so far)

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
If she is watching these are all have a good story, most have a cinematic experience.

Mass Effect (First game is clunky but worth it as it may be the best stories of all gaming. It's much better on PC I hear which is what I play on) my favorite gaming experience of all time. Like Star Wars for me (In a lot of ways unfortunately. If you play it you will understand, especially if you try to play the sequel)
Red Dead Redemption (Haven't played the second one yet.)
The Last of Us (Another fun game and story.)
Dragon Age (The first one, sets up a great mythos, seconds OK, couldn't get into the third one.)
Knights of the Old Republic (Original RPG) though old is great and fits in the SW mythos well.
Final Fantasy 7 (Haven't played the remake, but heard it's good. The original was king of like the Citizen Kain of video games.)
The Walking Dead (Game) more like the comic then the show. Turn-style, you are presented with lots of ethical dilemma and have to make hard choices.
All the Batman Arkham games are great, the stories are good but the gameplay is intense, the fight system is intuitive almost like a fighter game. Nothing better then beating up a bunch of street punks without taking a hit.

I will play all of the Witcher games one day, but if I play it I have to mod the crap out of it and that means months of effort. It will happen one day.

Reactions: Cromer

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
Thank goodness my mind-set of characters has not gotten into gaming.
We would rather exercise our body (mostly outdoors) in those 'other' free moments.

That said, I am happy for others who find competitive-joy in this activity.
My very good SIL is one such fellow.

Are Dee-

Reactions: Girl_power

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
We would rather exercise our body (mostly outdoors) in those 'other' free moments.

Are Dee-
Variety is the spice of life, and sadly, outdoor activities have their limits.

Just a few weeks ago we had reached the top of our climbs during our rock climbing sessions while last night we explored the Star Wars galaxy together as Sith Lords! (y)

Choking and zapping people along the way :LOL:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought I was the only one who enjoyed watching my spouse play games. Its entertaining and its a time to bond with each other.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If she is watching these are all have a good story, most have a cinematic experience.

Mass Effect (First game is clunky but worth it as it may be the best stories of all gaming. It's much better on PC I hear which is what I play on) my favorite gaming experience of all time. Like Star Wars for me (In a lot of ways unfortunately. If you play it you will understand, especially if you try to play the sequel)
Red Dead Redemption (Haven't played the second one yet.)
The Last of Us (Another fun game and story.)
Dragon Age (The first one, sets up a great mythos, seconds OK, couldn't get into the third one.)
Knights of the Old Republic (Original RPG) though old is great and fits in the SW mythos well.
Final Fantasy 7 (Haven't played the remake, but heard it's good. The original was king of like the Citizen Kain of video games.)
The Walking Dead (Game) more like the comic then the show. Turn-style, you are presented with lots of ethical dilemma and have to make hard choices.
All the Batman Arkham games are great, the stories are good but the gameplay is intense, the fight system is intuitive almost like a fighter game. Nothing better then beating up a bunch of street punks without taking a hit.

I will play all of the Witcher games one day, but if I play it I have to mod the crap out of it and that means months of effort. It will happen one day.
I got my own Xbox 360 (Gears of War edition) when I saw the Mass Effect 3 trailer on youtube, then played the demo on my son's Xbox. So I preordered it, then played the first two, then ME3. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite all-time game, and I played as the badass Femshep (great voice acting). The entire series is getting a remaster, and the first one is getting an update to make it less clunky. I can't wait!!!

I bought my PS4 to play The Last of Us remastered because there was so much hype about that game, and it was awesome. I want her to play through that herself.

I've played Kotor 1 & 2 on PC. Amazing games. Rumor is that they are getting a remaster for the next-gen consoles. I also played Dragon Age.

What happened to Bioware? They are a crap studio now but did make some of the best games of all-time. Baldur's Gate anyone? Jade Empire? ME Andromeda was trash, so was Anthem. Ah, the good ol' days...

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
Anything to keep those wives off of Facebook!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations! Gaming is one of the best bonding experiences you can have with your partner, you can explore whole universes together! It's nothing like TV or movies but something surreal.

My partner is Team Yen, and hates Triss for using Geralt and seducing him while he lost his memory, and also reckons there's no excuse for Gerald cheating on Yen.

Single player is all well and good but Coop is best for couples. I never played multiplayer unless with her, never liked it. We have an arsenal of coop games heres some recommendations from casual to hardcore:
  • Overcooked series (expect screaming and lots of laughs)
  • Helldivers (expect even more screaming and lots of laughs)
  • Tomb Raider Guardian of Light series (good puzzle gameplay for coop)
  • Trine series (as above)
  • Divinity Original Sin series (a bit slower pace for coop but more strategic)
  • Black Desert Online (good world, gameplay so so)
  • Empyrion (Best survival coop game so far crash land on an alien world, build a home together, then a ship, and explore the stars together)
  • Star Wars Old republic (currently what we are playing now, it's amazing couple play the best we have had so far)
We've had the Team Triss vs Team Yen discussion, but she won't budge. I originally romanced Yen but she had me go back and redo with Triss. She likes watching and telling me which dialogue options to us, and also make story choices. It's like a long, interactive movie.

Our favorite Coop is Ark Survival Evolved. We played with friends on public servers for a while, but it was getting to be a time sink, and there as always drama over tames. So now we play local and don't have to worry about logging in every day to feed the animals LOL.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Are Dee-
We do a lot of outdoor activities, it's just that neither of us is interested in being out all day in 100 degree, 98 percent humidity weather when quarantined at home. Much of our "movie time" is "gaming time". Mostly a few hours in the evening after dinner. It's fun for her, in part, because she gets to boss me on gaming story choices LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I got my own Xbox 360 (Gears of War edition) when I saw the Mass Effect 3 trailer on youtube, then played the demo on my son's Xbox. So I preordered it, then played the first two, then ME3. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite all-time game, and I played as the badass Femshep (great voice acting). The entire series is getting a remaster, and the first one is getting an update to make it less clunky. I can't wait!!!
Yeah I just hope they don't F it up knowing EA these days lol. Despite the controversy with the ending ME3 + Citadel DLC is my favorite of the series.

I've played Kotor 1 & 2 on PC. Amazing games. Rumor is that they are getting a remaster for the next-gen consoles. I also played Dragon Age.
What happened to Bioware? They are a crap studio now but did make some of the best games of all-time. Baldur's Gate anyone? Jade Empire? ME Andromeda was trash, so was Anthem. Ah, the good ol' days...
Those games were amazing especially the first one. They should make a movie out of Revan rather than the WTF Disney crap that got pumped out for the masses.

SWTOR (the MMO sequel to KOTOR) doesn't have as good a story or companions (hard to beat a masterpiece), but is ALOT better than alot of MMOs out there right now and it's F2P. The coop is also great as the 8 classes can synergize story-wise with each other, example - Sith Inquisitor + Sith Warrior, both starting on the same planets and having quests taking them to those planets in order. Also I found with multiplayer it's not always good to be too story-heavy but that's just my opinion.

I think with Bioware they just had their veterans leave since ME3, and slowly new staff and new direction took up the reins. Same company different people, won't get the same product. Anthem's release was entertaining in it's own way, I never got it as I knew it was going to be a sh-tstorm but it was funny to watch though lol.

We've had the Team Triss vs Team Yen discussion, but she won't budge. I originally romanced Yen but she had me go back and redo with Triss. She likes watching and telling me which dialogue options to us, and also make story choices. It's like a long, interactive movie.

Our favorite Coop is Ark Survival Evolved. We played with friends on public servers for a while, but it was getting to be a time sink, and there as always drama over tames. So now we play local and don't have to worry about logging in every day to feed the animals LOL.
Hahaha my partner got mad just by seeing Triss' face let alone if I let Gerald be nice to her or even heaven forbid - romance her! :LOL:

If you guys enjoyed Ark you will enjoy Empyrion. My partner and I used our own dedicated server so it's just us, drama-free gameplay. The construction of massive capital starships IS a time sink however. It took us weeks before we launched ours and it went through upgrades/refits as we went from planet to planet, it had its own dance floor/cabins/kitchen/dining/manufacturing/hangar/etc, we modeled it after the Prometheus vessel from the movie with quad engines.
Scariest time was when our ship got pulled to a hostile high gravity world and we were stuck as we couldn't take off with our underpowered engines. We had to brave the nightmarish creatures of the planet while mining for materials to upgrade the engines lol. It is early access though but worth it IMO.

Still, I recommend SWTOR, for couple fun. Also have a look at even the casual options which are good during busy weeks, you'll be surprised the amount of laughs you get from Overcooked or Helldivers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still, I recommend SWTOR, for couple fun. Also have a look at even the casual options which are good during busy weeks, you'll be surprised the amount of laughs you get from Overcooked or Helldivers.
I used to play Star Wars Galaxies back in the day. Sony announced that game's end when SWTOR's release date was announced. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, and it arrived the day after I got my XBox 360 and started playing Mass Effect series. Back then SWOTR was fee to play. The Collector's Edition box remains sealed and in the closet. I haven't done any PC gaming since.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I used to play Star Wars Galaxies back in the day. Sony announced that game's end when SWTOR's release date was announced. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, and it arrived the day after I got my XBox 360 and started playing Mass Effect series. Back then SWOTR was fee to play. The Collector's Edition box remains sealed and in the closet. I haven't done any PC gaming since.
Oh... lol

Well SWTOR is pretty accessible you shouldn't need a beefy PC to play it, nor Empyrion, my partner games on her laptop. Either than that, I do believe Helldivers and Overcooked are on PS4. Come back to PC gaming hahaha :D

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

I bought my PS4 to play The Last of Us remastered because there was so much hype about that game, and it was awesome. I want her to play through that herself.

Ha who knew we were on the same page with this too. I played ME the series three times. The first was male Shep where I made choices as myself, so sometimes I was merciful and sometime not so much. Then once as a more ruthless female bad ass who always takes the pragmatic decision. And then finally as an inept female Shep (I wanted to save the male one for my primary and only experience). I tried to basically do the worst possible and kill everyone off. I can't wait to the remaster but I wish they would fix the ending. Such a let down. For me ME1 is the best game of all time because of the story. If they ever remade game one with the same game engine and mechanics of game two that would be unbelievable. Also the music was awesome.

Dragon age 1 is a close second.

I modded the crap out of DA and ME3 once it was cracked. I made armor and everything. It was crazy.

Bioware became more interested in politics then story, which is sad. I never played Baldur's gate. Or Jade Empire. If they remastered that I would play it. I know there was talk of Baldur's gate. Bioware about 10 years ago was really kind of like MGM in the 50s or something. Unparalleled. I always compare my Mass Effect experience to Star Wars and for a kid who saw SW in the theater at 5, who waited in line on the first day with my Dad for Empire Strikes back that is high praise indeed.

Red Dead is very good too. You would like it.

Also although the graphics are crap but FF7 is really a great game, with a Empire Strikes Back kind of moment. It's the first computer game where I actually felt some feelings about the characters. Plus the world is huge with lots of great mini games and side quests.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I played that the first few months, but it was too much running around, if felt like work. I just can't get into games without stories anymore, not for long term investments.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I was the only one who enjoyed watching my spouse play games. Its entertaining and its a time to bond with each other.
You're right, it is a great bonding experience. We go back and forth about Team Yen vs Team Triss for example. I'm Team Yen and tell my wife it's because I have a thing for brunettes (she's has raven black hair like Yen). She likes that Triss is both strong and vulnerable at the same time. When we are around other couples our age, we basically speak a language they don't understand. Now, with the young folks...a much different story.

Gaming is one of the many things that have made our bond stronger. We don't have a long history, but gaming together is helping to develop the "couple's language" that I missed after I divorced.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha who knew we were on the same page with this too. I played ME the series three times. The first was male Shep where I made choices as myself, so sometimes I was merciful and sometime not so much. Then once as a more ruthless female bad ass who always takes the pragmatic decision. And then finally as an inept female Shep (I wanted to save the male one for my primary and only experience). I tried to basically do the worst possible and kill everyone off. I can't wait to the remaster but I wish they would fix the ending. Such a let down. For me ME1 is the best game of all time because of the story. If they ever remade game one with the same game engine and mechanics of game two that would be unbelievable. Also the music was awesome.

Dragon age 1 is a close second.

I modded the crap out of DA and ME3 once it was cracked. I made armor and everything. It was crazy.

Bioware became more interested in politics then story, which is sad. I never played Baldur's gate. Or Jade Empire. If they remastered that I would play it. I know there was talk of Baldur's gate. Bioware about 10 years ago was really kind of like MGM in the 50s or something. Unparalleled. I always compare my Mass Effect experience to Star Wars and for a kid who saw SW in the theater at 5, who waited in line on the first day with my Dad for Empire Strikes back that is high praise indeed.

Red Dead is very good too. You would like it.

Also although the graphics are crap but FF7 is really a great game, with a Empire Strikes Back kind of moment. It's the first computer game where I actually felt some feelings about the characters. Plus the world is huge with lots of great mini games and side quests.
I have all of the Mass Effect series achievements, including finishing ME1 on Insanity difficulty. I had to play through that game 3 times to get it because you couldn't immediately play on the highest difficulty levels, and also the Paragon levels had to be different at the end of the game. When you got all achievements in ME1, and you got an N7 profile pic for your Xbox as a reward. I played ME2 w/DLC five times. I saved them all the first time! The writing, music, and acting in the ME series was amazing.

I saw Star Wars when I was 13. Stood in line for hours carrying light sticks (they were new at the time). I would love to see Mass Effect as a movie trilogy.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
This thread makes me so happy I'm not the only man-child of this forum 😄

Bioware became more interested in politics then story, which is sad.
You mean your whole entertainment industry nowadays and the shoehorning of social justice and token diversity?

Our hopes now lie with Cyberpunk in November to reinvigorate the global industry and thank the heavens they aren't from your country (no offense - you know what I'm talking about lol)

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I had no idea this is a thing — couples playing together, and bonding over it. Sounds fun. Good to know.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I have all of the Mass Effect series achievements, including finishing ME1 on Insanity difficulty. I had to play through that game 3 times to get it because you couldn't immediately play on the highest difficulty levels, and also the Paragon levels had to be different at the end of the game. When you got all achievements in ME1, and you got an N7 profile pic for your Xbox as a reward. I played ME2 w/DLC five times. I saved them all the first time! The writing, music, and acting in the ME series was amazing.

I saw Star Wars when I was 13. Stood in line for hours carrying light sticks (they were new at the time). I would love to see Mass Effect as a movie trilogy.
I pretty much only play RPGs on insanity, makes it last longer, I would always use a code to unlock insanity right away. My main character was a vanguard, I used to do the charge thing when you fly across the screen when my enemy's were low and then beat them to death. Good times.

Did you play the Arkam games?

Saw SW when I was 5.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts