Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I’m not ok. My marriage and life are gone a
Nd I’m not sure what to do
Your marriage isn't gone honey, but it IS hanging by a thread. I am honestly struggling to understand what motivated your husband to do this, given both how inappropriate it is and how fragile your marriage is right now.

Is he home yet? How are things now?

You NEED to get a handle on this, and make an appointment with your doctor asap to get some short acting anti anxiety meds to help you keep your thoughts under control. This is a must.

And for what it's worth, hubby needs a slap upside the head for being so damn dumb.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
@coolmama11,

I want to share with you a story someone wrote about being in a jealous relationship. This person is writing what your husband feels like:

"Jealousy is powerful. It destroys relationships and makes good, well-meaning people act in ways they never imagined. I was in a relationship where the warning signs were present, but I excused them all away as my phone and bags were subject to searches, and I had to “check-in” constantly, even at work. When I tried to spend time with friends, I’d get irritated texts and phone calls insisting I come back, and if I did, I’d be questioned about everything that happened until whatever I did “wrong” was discovered, and I’d be punished.

That was just the beginning. When it came out that I had a friend at work, I was required to “break off” the friendship, along with many others I cared about. Tiny things, like a cashier being “too friendly” with me, were blown out of proportion, and my ex would berate them for flirting with me before storming out, leaving me alone to pay and deal with the scene. I was required to destroy mementos from previous relationships, including prom photos, and my clothing and behavior were under constant suspicious scrutiny. I felt like property and like I had to walk on pins and needles.

Yet my ex was so loving at times, surprising me with notes and gifts or lavishing me in compliments and affection whenever we were out in public, but that was also when my ex would decide what I’d eat or would chauffeur for me to/from work. I thought it was old-fashioned and sweet. Eventually, things became so controlling that after screaming matches, I’d have to read my diary aloud so my ex could monitor what I wrote and was thinking. I was always being told I remembered things wrong or was lying about them. I was called “unstable” and “pathetic” after being clinically diagnosed with depression. I’d go days without eating and get accused of losing weight for another person when the truth was, I was just miserable. My words got minced and twisted around, and I’d get questioned so intensely about everything I did- right down to why I changed soaps or was showering at a different time- it was easier to hide and cry myself to sleep, praying I wouldn’t wake up than to live my life.
As it continued to escalate from there, I began to blame myself. I thought I deserved any ill-treatment directed toward me.
Often I wanted to leave but stayed because I had become convinced I was worthless. That no one else could ever truly love a screw up like me. My ex was so kind and charismatic with everyone else, I believed everything that started happening behind closed doors was 100% my fault.

I used to think that intense jealousy came from a place of love. And because I was so eager to please and atone, I indulged the unhealthy behavior, not realizing how destructive it was for both of us. Good people can find themselves in bad situations that spiral out of control. If you’re in a relationship where red flags are present, please don’t ignore them. I’m sharing my story in hopes of showing you that you’re not alone, and it does get better. You also aren’t worthless, crazy, or to blame."

I share this with you in hopes that you'll understand what life is like in his shoes. It may not be EXACTLY like that for him, but I bet he feels some similarities! And this is why it is so very important for you to continue in therapy to address your jealousy issues.

Now, in my neighborhood, there is a lady kind of close to our age who wears clothes that are WAY too tight and WAY too revealing. She thinks she's the hot girl on the block. But in real life, I don't sit at home and worry about my man wanting her (because I've had kids and I'm a little hobbity looking), but I know I offer him good love and I know him. He's a good man and he wouldn't act like that. And if some female human asked to be his friend on FB, I don't care. She doesn't live here and he doesn't want her. He wants me because I treat him with the love and respect that makes him feel good.

@coolmama11 one thing you need to learn is to love yourself. Another is to know your man. And still another is that just because you "feel" an emotion (jealousy) that doesn't mean you have to act on it. Learn some CBT techniques to deal with the jealous emotion you feel. Here is a link with 3 techniques you can try right now: 3 Relationship-Reinforcing CBT Techniques for Jealousy

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
A brave post.
I certainly don't say it to be mean. But she needs to do something to curb this jealousy. She's been advised over and over in previous posts to get some more or different help. As I said before, it sounds like some form of post partum depression. OP, have you called your OB doctor about it and let him/her know that the current meds and therapy are not working?

Aside from that, you need to sit down with your husband and discuss it. Is he friending this woman as a "screw you" to you because of how you've treated him? Maybe, maybe not. But you need to discuss it with him and get things under control, which doesn't mean accusing him every day of being a horrible husband. That's got to be wearing him down a lot. Maybe have him come to one of your therapy appointments so your therapist can talk to him about it and he can understand what is going on with you and learn better ways to reassure you. Again, if his actions were a "well, if she's gonna treat me that way I might as well do it" that can be addressed in the therapy session also because that is the absolute worst way he can deal with it.

Again, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@coolmama11,

I want to share with you a story someone wrote about being in a jealous relationship. This person is writing what your husband feels like:

"Jealousy is powerful. It destroys relationships and makes good, well-meaning people act in ways they never imagined. I was in a relationship where the warning signs were present, but I excused them all away as my phone and bags were subject to searches, and I had to “check-in” constantly, even at work. When I tried to spend time with friends, I’d get irritated texts and phone calls insisting I come back, and if I did, I’d be questioned about everything that happened until whatever I did “wrong” was discovered, and I’d be punished.

That was just the beginning. When it came out that I had a friend at work, I was required to “break off” the friendship, along with many others I cared about. Tiny things, like a cashier being “too friendly” with me, were blown out of proportion, and my ex would berate them for flirting with me before storming out, leaving me alone to pay and deal with the scene. I was required to destroy mementos from previous relationships, including prom photos, and my clothing and behavior were under constant suspicious scrutiny. I felt like property and like I had to walk on pins and needles.

Yet my ex was so loving at times, surprising me with notes and gifts or lavishing me in compliments and affection whenever we were out in public, but that was also when my ex would decide what I’d eat or would chauffeur for me to/from work. I thought it was old-fashioned and sweet. Eventually, things became so controlling that after screaming matches, I’d have to read my diary aloud so my ex could monitor what I wrote and was thinking. I was always being told I remembered things wrong or was lying about them. I was called “unstable” and “pathetic” after being clinically diagnosed with depression. I’d go days without eating and get accused of losing weight for another person when the truth was, I was just miserable. My words got minced and twisted around, and I’d get questioned so intensely about everything I did- right down to why I changed soaps or was showering at a different time- it was easier to hide and cry myself to sleep, praying I wouldn’t wake up than to live my life.

Often I wanted to leave but stayed because I had become convinced I was worthless. That no one else could ever truly love a screw up like me. My ex was so kind and charismatic with everyone else, I believed everything that started happening behind closed doors was 100% my fault.

I used to think that intense jealousy came from a place of love. And because I was so eager to please and atone, I indulged the unhealthy behavior, not realizing how destructive it was for both of us. Good people can find themselves in bad situations that spiral out of control. If you’re in a relationship where red flags are present, please don’t ignore them. I’m sharing my story in hopes of showing you that you’re not alone, and it does get better. You also aren’t worthless, crazy, or to blame."

I share this with you in hopes that you'll understand what life is like in his shoes. It may not be EXACTLY like that for him, but I bet he feels some similarities! And this is why it is so very important for you to continue in therapy to address your jealousy issues.

Now, in my neighborhood, there is a lady kind of close to our age who wears clothes that are WAY too tight and WAY too revealing. She thinks she's the hot girl on the block. But in real life, I don't sit at home and worry about my man wanting her (because I've had kids and I'm a little hobbity looking), but I know I offer him good love and I know him. He's a good man and he wouldn't act like that. And if some female human asked to be his friend on FB, I don't care. She doesn't live here and he doesn't want her. He wants me because I treat him with the love and respect that makes him feel good.

@coolmama11 one thing you need to learn is to love yourself. Another is to know your man. And still another is that just because you "feel" an emotion (jealousy) that doesn't mean you have to act on it. Learn some CBT techniques to deal with the jealous emotion you feel. Here is a link with 3 techniques you can try right now: 3 Relationship-Reinforcing CBT Techniques for Jealousy
Thank you. I’m not ok this morning. I have pushed my marriage to its breaking point and I’m so done I don’t know what to do anymore. I feel so mentally ill at Times and my brain is so messed up I can’t function. I love my husband more than anything on the earth and I just want to change.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Thank you. I’m not ok this morning. I have pushed my marriage to its breaking point and I’m so done I don’t know what to do anymore. I feel so mentally ill at Times and my brain is so messed up I can’t function. I love my husband more than anything on the earth and I just want to change.
What have you done to try to fix yourself? By that I mean, have you talked to your doctors about how your medications are not working? There are tons of medications on the market, if this one is not helping they can try others. Have you tried a different therapist? YOU are in control of trying to change but you need to act on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What have you done to try to fix yourself? By that I mean, have you talked to your doctors about how your medications are not working? There are tons of medications on the market, if this one is not helping they can try others. Have you tried a different therapist? YOU are in control of trying to change but you need to act on that.
I’m on buspar and this is the second I have tried. I hate that I have this stupid mental illness. I don’t understand myself and I’m confused.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I think it really might help to bring your husband to one of your therapy sessions so your illness can be explained to him and he can be given some pointers on healthy ways to deal with it that make him not feel so attacked and you feel less anxious about things.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yuo migh also use therapy session with your husband to establish some kinds of boundaries. You are maybe overly jealous, but he is aware of it and still befriends 20 year old something, knowing this will upset you. For what? If he wants this marriage to continue, he needs to pull his weight too and stop giving you moments like this.

·
Premium Member
7,431 Posts
Yuo migh also use therapy session with your husband to establish some kinds of boundaries. You are maybe overly jealous, but he is aware of it and still befriends 20 year old something, knowing this will upset you. For what? If he wants this marriage to continue, he needs to pull his weight too and stop giving you moments like this.
Exactly.

Some might be okay with their spouse friending some hot random but he knows very well about your jealousy issues. And he still did it. No.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm not saying this is right, but sometimes when someone is constantly treated as if they are breaking a rule...they end up breaking that rule because why not? If you're gonna treat me like I'm a cheater, I might as well get the perks of being a cheater.

Your jealousy is pushing him away...he's told you this over and over.
Exactly. Typical self-fulfilling prophecy.
OP should google this and read up on it.
Not to excuse what Hubby did, because what he did was disrespectful.
He basically fed the proverbial "Monkey on your back" and made the situation worse.
However, in all fairness, you probably indirectly drove him to do it.
You need to get in some intensive therapy, and aggressively need to work on being better medicated.
Sounds like he is not going to take much more.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
what if we all are wrong? what if he does behave in the way that may cause OP to get paranoid? The way she presents those things is always "I exagerrated, it is my fault, he loves me and I am driving him away". What if there are reasons for her and he is gaslighting her? He did run to fix power by the sexy neighbor house our of his own initiative, he befriends twenty years olds. There are probably more things like this.

Or maybe there was nothing there, but with time, with OP anxiety growing and her acting out, he might have started looking, just to get break.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Coolmama, you need to talk with your H about this.
He KNOWS about your insecurities, so honestly he should NOT be friending women or hanging out with them.
If he really loves you, HE should be creating this boundary for HIMSELF to protect you and your marriage -- marriage guarding.
HE feels that he is innocent here because in his head HE KNOWS he wouldn't do anything. What hes doesn't think about is that with things "not going well" between you, a sympathetic ear can be VERY seductive and before he knows it, he could be in an EA or worse.

BUT, HE NEEDS to make YOU comfortable in your marriage, and if that means he has to make sure he doesn't do this with women, then he needs to make that step. He should do that willingly.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
One other thing -- jealousy not only destroys the person you are jealous OF, it is also a type of self-torture. The person who is jealous really is torturing themselves with these off-the-hook thoughts and feelings.
That is no way to live.
Coolmama, you need to find a better therapist, and if the meds you are on now are not helping, try something else.
SOME anti-depressants REALLY affect thinking and could be adding to the jealousy. Bring this stuff up to your Doctor also about how it may be adversely affecting your thought processes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Coolmama, have you sat down with him, not in an angry phase, but just a sit down and let him know how his actions are affecting you? If you have any he’s not being considerate and then the problem is his. Your actions and feelings are a manifestation of that problem.

I don’t believe your marriage is done as you say you both love each other, but yes the anger at his actions will push you further apart. He should stop the bs of doing things like accepting friends on fb and other forms of social media, not all friends, but why a hot 20 something who he seemingly friended out of the blue.

I think counseling as a couple would help immensely to ease your mind as well as letting him know the parameters that you accept. Just so you know, I have hot 20 something friends on my social media, but there is no other reason than I have assisted them in issues that they have, my wife is knowledgeable of these issues and fully on board as she also has done counseling. ( we both have worked in this field for a number of years).

Buspar, wow, I was on Buspar once and took it for a total of two days, couldn’t handle the electric shock feeling and it made me more paranoid. Not saying it won’t work for you, just my experience with it.

i wish the best for you and your family and you both come to a positive conclusion.

OT

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Coolmama, have you sat down with him, not in an angry phase, but just a sit down and let him know how his actions are affecting you? If you have any he’s not being considerate and then the problem is his. Your actions and feelings are
I don’t believe your marriage is done as you say you both love each other, but yes the anger at his actions will push you further apart. He should stop the bs of doing things like accepting friends on fb and other forms of social media, not all friends, but why a hot 20 something who he seemingly friended out of the blue.

I think counseling as a couple would help immensely to ease your mind as well as letting him know the parameters that you accept. Just so you know, I have hot 20 something friends on my social media, but there is no other reason than I have assisted them in issues that they have, my wife is knowledgeable of these issues and fully on board as she also has done counseling. ( we both have worked in this field for a number of years).

Buspar, wow, I was on Buspar once and took it for a total of two days, couldn’t handle the electric shock feeling and it made me more paranoid. Not saying it won’t work for you, just my experience with it.

i wish the best for you and your family and you both come to a positive conclusion.

OT
I’m on buspar and this is the second I have tried. I hate that I have this stupid mental illness. I don’t understand myself and I’m confused.
Thank u!!! He said she lives right next to the place he works and her and her boyfriend walk over all the time to talk. She does have a boyfriend but that doesn’t mean much in today’s world. He said she him and her boyfriend would always chat. I thought buspar was working but I’m not sure it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
what if we all are wrong? what if he does behave in the way that may cause OP to get paranoid? The way she presents those things is always "I exagerrated, it is my fault, he loves me and I am driving him away". What if there are reasons for her and he is gaslighting her? He did run to fix power by the sexy neighbor house our of his own initiative, he befriends twenty years olds. There are probably more things like this.

Or maybe there was nothing there, but with time, with OP anxiety growing and her acting out, he might have started looking, just to get break.
My husband does love me and I don’t think he is doing it intentionally but he does gaslight me a little when I get upset about these things. He says I’m crazy and need to grow up. I wish I could paint a better picture of our marriage through words but we really do love each other. He has never cheated on anyone in his past and I’m actually friends with one of his ex’s and I know this. Plus all his friends say he is the most loyal guy and they aren’t as much so that is saying something. He did say this girl lived next to his work and she comes over with her boyfriend and asks questions and talks. It just felt weird to me. In my crazy head I’m like “is she outside all day and he sees her” then looked her up but he swears to me she added him so I guess I have to take his word for it. He did delete her. I just don’t want to be that controlling wife.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just the fact you take self-responsibility makes me think you will work it out. Wonderful to see so many women on here bucking up and looking themselves square in the face.

If I were a woman, I too would be insecure, about the 20yo thing. Just let it go. Maybe bring some humor into it. I think a lot of men buckle when a woman just sees all the BS in everything.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I believe you when you say it's mostly your insecurities, BUT him friend requesting hot anyone isn't okay! So admit you are insecure and you will work on it but that no matter how secure you get, it is not going to ever be okay he's friending hot women he can actually meet.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts