Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We have been together for 13 years and married for over half of those years. He was always the laid back one and I was the uptight one. We balanced each other well. But for the last year my husband is becoming this insufferable moody.... ****wad. Especially since our youngest child was born (7 months old). He is constantly complaining about our messy house, and our life, and our money, and our kids, and our dog, and me. Sure, the house is not in tip top shape, we have three kids and a husky and our baby REFUSES to sleep so I'm super tired, but it's just clutter (toys and the like). I'm trying my best. And yes, life got more hectic after our third was born but, that's not an excuse to start mistreating your family. He stomps around the house cursing and complaining, he is forever yelling at our 4 year old and being a ****e dad, and if I try to talk to him, he yes "yes dear" or my name while rolling his eyes and dismisses me. For the last 7 months, this turd of a man has dismissed everything I have said. I'm about to lose it and it won't be pretty. Like, I told him to stop cursing at our son and he gave me a thumbs up!!!!! Imma snap soon.

I don't like the way he is treating our middle child, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to leave him, I do love him, at least I did. I m so confused. 馃様 How can someone stay with someone who dismisses their every thought? What the hell do I do because I can't handle another day like this?? What is happening to my husband!?!?!

Registered
I'm sorry, this sounds awful. I'm very protective of my kids.. My spouse has anxiety so he easily becomes irritated and complains about everything even if it's a small positive for me. He looks up to his brothers so I had a conversation with one of them and LUCKILY spouse listened. We did attend counseling. His brother and therapist both told him to stop calling me names and stop being a nuisance to the kids. Spouse still has issues but it has 'toned' down a lot these last couple months. Has something happened that made him uptight? Perhaps at work? Can you make a marriage counseling appointment and the both of you go? If he refuses, you need to go for yourself? I agree it's no way to live for yourself or the kids.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
My spouse has anxiety issues as well though he doesn't even realize it. And nothing has changed! Well, with the exception of the baby being born. But, I don't get why that would make him change so much. I even do ALL overnight duty so my husband gets a solid nights sleep every night, even the weekends. He is just unpleasant to be around and acts like a child if I talk to him. 鈽

I'm sorry, this sounds awful. I'm very protective of my kids.. My spouse has anxiety so he easily becomes irritated and complains about everything even if it's a small positive for me. He looks up to his brothers so I had a conversation with one of them and LUCKILY spouse listened. We did attend counseling. His brother and therapist both told him to stop calling me names and stop being a nuisance to the kids. Spouse still has issues but it has 'toned' down a lot these last couple months. Has something happened that made him uptight? Perhaps at work? Can you make a marriage counseling appointment and the both of you go? If he refuses, you need to go for yourself? I agree it's no way to live for yourself or the kids.

Registered
At least your spouse can sleep.. mine can't (worries). But you should try to get him in counseling. He is suffering and he takes it on his family-- your suffering too and need a solid partner. Perhaps, the 2 older ones could spend the night with grandma-- could help while you try to talk with him without any interruptions. Tell him that you really want to give marriage counseling a try. Good luck

Super Moderator
How are your finances?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
We have been together for 13 years and married for over half of those years. He was always the laid back one and I was the uptight one. We balanced each other well. But for the last year my husband is becoming this insufferable moody.... ****wad. Especially since our youngest child was born (7 months old). He is constantly complaining about our messy house, and our life, and our money, and our kids, and our dog, and me. Sure, the house is not in tip top shape, we have three kids and a husky and our baby REFUSES to sleep so I'm super tired, but it's just clutter (toys and the like). I'm trying my best. And yes, life got more hectic after our third was born but, that's not an excuse to start mistreating your family. He stomps around the house cursing and complaining, he is forever yelling at our 4 year old and being a ****e dad, and if I try to talk to him, he yes "yes dear" or my name while rolling his eyes and dismisses me. For the last 7 months, this turd of a man has dismissed everything I have said. I'm about to lose it and it won't be pretty. Like, I told him to stop cursing at our son and he gave me a thumbs up!!!!! Imma snap soon.

I don't like the way he is treating our middle child, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to leave him, I do love him, at least I did. I m so confused. 馃様 How can someone stay with someone who dismisses their every thought? What the hell do I do because I can't handle another day like this?? What is happening to my husband!?!?!
I'm a female and I'd probably blow my brains out with that many kids and the noise and clutter. What I'm saying is, not all of us find that type of atmosphere pleasant or pleasing, and he obviously does not.

But that doesn't give him the right to be verbally abusive to anyone or emotionally abusive to you.

He's on a real short fuse. It sounds like he's THIS close to leaving to get cigarettes and never come back.

I don't know what the magic answer is. But the guy seriously needs to decompress. A new hobby? Therapy?

Registered
His new hobby can be taking care of the things he's whining about. He can pick up the messes in less time than it takes to get bent out of shape and rant. If he doesn't want kids making messes than he can take responsibility for his messes and get a vasectomy.

Registered
Sounds like he needs some serious counseling, and a medical check up. ( Diabetes for example can change a persons behavior)
Lay down the law and tell him the BS is over.
Nobody should ever verbally abuse a child.
I had a very difficult marriage and financial problems for years when I was young and never cursed my kids.
Something has changed,convince him to seek outside help or get out.

Registered

When someone's behavior changes, I think your first course of action should be to see if there was some event that affected it, and how this might be fixed.

I think both genders should have some space in a relationship to be moody and complain sometimes; I'm generalizing here, but it seems the cultural expectation is tbe husband is always supposed to be always laid back, emotionless, & oblivious to the situation at hand, while the wife runs around, intensely in tune to every single vibration in the house..

In my own experience though, while I would say I was A LOT less emotional than my XW, I was still affected in different ways (namely a lack of space for myself, and stress due to work), and because my XW suffered from abandonment issues (and more) I was never able to talk about how I was feeling with her because it would frequently get twisted in her mind into me saying I was unhappy with her, and was therefore going to leave.

The truth was, I just needed more space to decompress after work, after we put our kid to sleep. I was happy coming home from work, helping with dinner, reading to our daughter, and putting her to sleep. After that, the expectation was I'd sit w/my wife and listen to her for hour or so I had left before I'd be too exhausted to stay up further. Mind you, we had dinner together and already talked... this was when I finally had ME time, after 9-10 hours of work, and another couple hours combined of helping with our family breakfast and dinner & bedtime routines. But to my XW, "ME time" translated as "he doesn't love me, or he'd want to spend ALL his time with me." I say this all to illustrate that maybe your husband is struggling with his feelings and emotions due to the circumstances of the moment; he can't be himself anymore, and it's affecting his behavior.

I think if I could recommend a course of action on your part:

1) in a calm moment (such as after the kids are asleep and the house is quiet), bring up your concerns with him, and let him know this is not a moment he should dismiss without further actions on your part. *Politely* of course, because spouses should always be polite to eachother.

Hopefully he listens and feels he can share why he's acting the way he is, and what would help. And you can mutually work out a solution.

With three young kids though, it's not always possible for a spouse to get time alone; you just have to grind through it together.

2) If he's dismissive of you again, or refuses to talk openly, or the talk is not fruitful, I think you need to suggest counseling for eachother, maybe individually as well.

If that doesn't work, or he refuses to acknowledge there's a problem, well... you have to think about what you want, and what you can live with. fighting and being dismissive of eachother in front of the kids is bad, bad, bad, though, and if that doesn't stop, well, in my mind that's kind of a dealbreaker in a marriage.

2a) the "d word" is a huge red flag; I hope neither of you gets pushed to the point of seriously considering it. But if that starts getting thrown around or mentioned by him, you need to start protecting yourself; consider what you would need to do and take care of on your own if it goes that route.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The kicker? He is one of the biggest sources of mess in our house. NOTHING he uses makes it to a garbage, he will leave wrappers and things in the counter despite having to pass a garbage on the way out of the kitchen. His used dishes remain where he sat and ate, etc. Then he freaks out when the house is a ****ing mess. But he refuses to amend his own behaviour that makes him upset.

And our kids, aside from our first have all been planned and had at times when he was on board and excited. I'm sorry for him but he can't just create a large family, make a god damned mess and then get pissed about a large family and mess 馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃槫馃

His new hobby can be taking care of the things he's whining about. He can pick up the messes in less time than it takes to get bent out of shape and rant. If he doesn't want kids making messes than he can take responsibility for his messes and get a vasectomy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
My husband is the type of man that needs daily "me time" as well. And I respect and honor that. He is a busy guy that stresses easily so I never push for his "me time" which he gets everyday. Some days we hardly speak because once the day ends and the kids are in bed he's doing his own thing for hours while I deal with the 1000000 wake ups our baby does.

We have talked at length and it's the same as it always is. He apologizes for his behaviour, reminds me of my failings as a parent, then apologizes again.

But nothing ever changes.

When someone's behavior changes, I think your first course of action should be to see if there was some event that affected it, and how this might be fixed.

I think both genders should have some space in a relationship to be moody and complain sometimes; I'm generalizing here, but it seems the cultural expectation is tbe husband is always supposed to be always laid back, emotionless, & oblivious to the situation at hand, while the wife runs around, intensely in tune to every single vibration in the house..

In my own experience though, while I would say I was A LOT less emotional than my XW, I was still affected in different ways (namely a lack of space for myself, and stress due to work), and because my XW suffered from abandonment issues (and more) I was never able to talk about how I was feeling with her because it would frequently get twisted in her mind into me saying I was unhappy with her, and was therefore going to leave.

The truth was, I just needed more space to decompress after work, after we put our kid to sleep. I was happy coming home from work, helping with dinner, reading to our daughter, and putting her to sleep. After that, the expectation was I'd sit w/my wife and listen to her for hour or so I had left before I'd be too exhausted to stay up further. Mind you, we had dinner together and already talked... this was when I finally had ME time, after 9-10 hours of work, and another couple hours combined of helping with our family breakfast and dinner & bedtime routines. But to my XW, "ME time" translated as "he doesn't love me, or he'd want to spend ALL his time with me." I say this all to illustrate that maybe your husband is struggling with his feelings and emotions due to the circumstances of the moment; he can't be himself anymore, and it's affecting his behavior.

I think if I could recommend a course of action on your part:

1) in a calm moment (such as after the kids are asleep and the house is quiet), bring up your concerns with him, and let him know this is not a moment he should dismiss without further actions on your part. *Politely* of course, because spouses should always be polite to eachother.

Hopefully he listens and feels he can share why he's acting the way he is, and what would help. And you can mutually work out a solution.

With three young kids though, it's not always possible for a spouse to get time alone; you just have to grind through it together.

2) If he's dismissive of you again, or refuses to talk openly, or the talk is not fruitful, I think you need to suggest counseling for eachother, maybe individually as well.

If that doesn't work, or he refuses to acknowledge there's a problem, well... you have to think about what you want, and what you can live with. fighting and being dismissive of eachother in front of the kids is bad, bad, bad, though, and if that doesn't stop, well, in my mind that's kind of a dealbreaker in a marriage.

2a) the "d word" is a huge red flag; I hope neither of you gets pushed to the point of seriously considering it. But if that starts getting thrown around or mentioned by him, you need to start protecting yourself; consider what you would need to do and take care of on your own if it goes that route.

Registered
Thank you.

It appears the OP H believes none of what he is complaining about is his responsibility.

OP, make it short and sweet with your H. Advise his behavior is abusive. Constant yelling at the family members is abusive. He can look it up on the web if he likes. Anger issues. He has them.

Another OP asked. How are the finances?

Registered
My husband is the type of man that needs daily "me time" as well. And I respect and honor that. He is a busy guy that stresses easily so I never push for his "me time" which he gets everyday. Some days we hardly speak because once the day ends and the kids are in bed he's doing his own thing for hours while I deal with the 1000000 wake ups our baby does.

We have talked at length and it's the same as it always is. He apologizes for his behaviour, reminds me of my failings as a parent, then apologizes again.

But nothing ever changes.
Sorry you find yourself in this situation. What is he doing for ''me time?'' Is his ''me time'' sitting in front of a computer screen or scrolling through his phone for hours? The fact that he spends ''hours'' away from you ''after the day ends'' is telling. I ask, because people just don't change over night, unless something is causing it. Or someone. I don't want to make you paranoid, but just keep an eye on how often he's on his phone, etc. I've read so many stories on here, where spouses suddenly ''change'' and become distant, argumentative, abusive even...and 9 times out of 10, there was always another person involved. Maybe not an affair, but someone else in the background, distracting them...making them wish they were single again. Just something to consider.

I would suggest marriage counseling, and if he balks at it, I'd keep insisting, because the marriage won't last if he keeps treating you like this, and eventually your kids will pick up on the tension, too. If not already.

Premium Member
His behavior makes me very suspicious that he has a girlfriend. I don鈥檛 care if he鈥檚 home every night, people make time to cheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I found out why, at least part of why, he has been acting like he is frustrated with his whole life. He鈥檚 back to spending hours a day pouring over porn and fetish sites. This has been a huge issue for our marriage and I nearly divorced him over it 2 years ago. He watches it, expects me to act like his pornstars do, then gets visibly bored/frustrated that I鈥檓 not as good as he expected it to be. I can鈥檛 believe I didn鈥檛 see this. Our sex life has dropped like a rock again, and now I know why. I could FEEL a shift in him, but my stupid ass trusted a pathological liar. Two year of him avoiding it and working on us, TWO ****ING YEARS, and now I鈥檓 back to feeling paranoid.

I鈥檓 getting to ****ing old to deal with this stupid ****. I don鈥檛 get why he is still with me, he clearly doesn鈥檛 respect my feelings.

AND before anyone tells me everyone watches porn and I should be fine with it, save your breath.
I am NOT fine with it. Pain is pain and I have tried so many times to accept it as a part of my life/relationship so I could move forward but I CANT. Like it or not, it HURTS ME. I feel totally betrayed, like I鈥檝e been cheated in and no amount of telling me I shouldn鈥檛 will make the pain stop.

I don鈥檛 know if I can go through this again.

Registered
No one, expects you to remain in a marriage, that your not happy in. The only thing you should do To stop this is leave. Now are you going to? Or remain in the relationship with frustration and anger, waiting to see if he'll change?

Reactions: 3Xnocharm
1 - 20 of 75 Posts