Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad has absolutely won the 2012 negativity award..hands down. There was no competition. I think that is his fifth award in a row! LOL

He is no fun to be around. I am not sure why any more. But he is my dad.

Unfortunately my wife had a TERRIBLE upbringing and relationship with her dad. She despised him to his death.

She has not surprisingly had early run ins with my dad and cannot really stand him over the last few years. I dont blame her, he is not fun to be around since he is very negative and not that personable. But again, he is my dad.

So tonight, my parents were over and he was his usual "fun self". We were planning to go to breakfast tomorrow. My wife said she wouldn't go because she doesn't want to spend any more time with him.

This obviously creates a tough situation for me, I have to lie, or do something to cover why she won't be going tomorrow.

I wish she would come just for me and say hey, he is grump, but he won't change but lets just roll with it. We don't see them a lot, maybe 6 times in the year. So I wish she would come for breakfast for my sake and just forget about him.

Am I out of line, or should I just leave her to her decision? I strangely felt angry at her tonight for bailing on breakfast tomorrow. That made me feel bad that I felt like that! lol. I don't know, am I wrong to expect her to just spend time with my dad even though he isn't the most fun person to be around? Thanks for your comments, they are MORE than appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think you are out of line. Sometimes in a marriage one party just needs to suck it up for the good of the relationship. I don't care for my mother in laws hubby. However, my wife and her mom are close, so I grin and bear it. Part of being married in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you are out of line. Sometimes in a marriage one party just needs to suck it up for the good of the relationship. I don't care for my mother in laws hubby. However, my wife and her mom are close, so I grin and bear it. Part of being married in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Surprised to hear one vote this way to be honest. My wife would prob just say my dad i simply too much, and I choose not to want to be around him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.