Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a couple good movies I can watch with my 5 year old son, specifically rare, or unusual hidden gems (ie we've seen all the disney, pixar and dreamworks stuff, he's not really into anything nickelodeon etc). Nothing too intense or scary, we don't really like violence, but slapstick always works... he loves animal films, especially dogs (we have marmaduke, just watched hotel for dogs the other day)

let me know if you have any good off-the-wall recomendations for that age group!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Well, if you want to read you can read Stickeen and teach him about glaciers and adventuring with John Muir. The there's the story about Balto which you can get in book form or on the internet (read about) or film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balto_(film). These are true stories.

Lon, Lon, Lon. You need only turn to the internet to find a prepared list!

These are the films that have made it to video/rentals...
Top 70 Best Dog Movies (2012)

BUT!!!!!!
Nothing like a good dog film festival.
If you look up some of these titles, you will probably find them available on-line for free. Make sure you preview in advance if you're not getting them from the director/moviehouse site, and especially if they're not rated in any way...

Personally, I'd go for the indie/film festival films first, I think they'd be worth the effort. And maybe you could make a movie with your son, about the perfect dog, or visit an animal shelter and take a dog for a walk.

Good Dog Film Festival 17th-19th August Balmain

Also, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Shiloh

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Don't know how far back in the Disney catalogue you went....101 Dalmations,Lady and The Tramp,The Incredible Journey,Greyfriar's Bobby,Peter Pan?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My kids (boy and girl) really like classic movies like Willy Wonka (the original), Mary Poppins, Dr. Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

My son is really into documentaries like the Planet Earth series from Discovery Channel and "How the Universe Works" series on the science channel. At 3.5 he is fascinated by abstract concepts like gravity and black holes. Dunno if that's a typ. boy thing or my kid is just a weirdo.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HNU, this thread is me turning to the internet ;)

I've read through tons, but it is all mainstream, I want a little less so. Anyways, some good dog movies on the lists, I think I will get doggied out (huh, in reference to certain other threads I didn't think I'd ever write that particular phrase).

Classics are always just OK, he likes them but never can make it through an entire movie...

CWL, that CJ7 movie looks awesome, I love Stephen Chow films, but I may have to look for a dubbed version cause my kid won't be able to keep up with subtitles. I may just watch it for myself though.

Now Mr.Bean - that is painful for both of us cause we laugh so hard, our (my) abs will be sore for the next couple days after a good Beanfest.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Looking for a couple good movies I can watch with my 5 year old son, specifically rare, or unusual hidden gems (ie we've seen all the disney, pixar and dreamworks stuff, he's not really into anything nickelodeon etc). Nothing too intense or scary, we don't really like violence, but slapstick always works... he loves animal films, especially dogs (we have marmaduke, just watched hotel for dogs the other day)

let me know if you have any good off-the-wall recomendations for that age group!
Kicking and Screaming. It stars Will Ferrell and Robert Duvall. They are father and son who have young sons competing in soccer. It isn't an Academy Award winner but it is a cute movie and teaches a very valuable lesson.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
When the children were younger we subscribed to something called Feature Films For Families.

They were in general very good films, and included with the films were some suggestions for question and answer sessions you could have with the children.

The questions were usually set so that the child could understand the right or wrong of things that occured in the film.

Reactions: Lon

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My one daughter just loves "How to train your dragon". Now they have a ongoing cable series, which I DVR every week. We have all the movies too along with the stuffed dragons.:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The dark crystal is off the wall, might be a little scary to a 5 year old though

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
^ that scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. Great movie though.

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
Classics are always just OK, he likes them but never can make it through an entire movie...
I could only think of classics. What the heck, I'll mention them anyway. And they are musical. You've be warned ;)

Animation: Tubby the Tuba - I used to love the music to Tubby. Tubby la Tuba Completa - YouTube there's a different, full movie cartoon too if you can find it. Good, catchy songs for a kid.

Movie: Danny Kaye - Hans Christian Andersen - YouTube - at some point I made my husband suffer through this lol. Classic children's stories though.

With Christmas approaching The Snowman introduced by David Bowie - YouTube

And the classic episodes of The Muppet Show.

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
My kids (boy and girl) really like classic movies like Willy Wonka (the original), Mary Poppins, Dr. Doolittle, My Fair Lady.

My son is really into documentaries like the Planet Earth series from Discovery Channel and "How the Universe Works" series on the science channel. At 3.5 he is fascinated by abstract concepts like gravity and black holes. Dunno if that's a typ. boy thing or my kid is just a weirdo.
Posted via Mobile Device
:smthumbup: I think your kid rocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.