Talk About Marriage banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My MIL was the epitome of a life well lived. She was the guiding force in the family, remembered every birthday, anniversary and milestone. She was the natural person to ask for advice, invite to dinner, and be the life of the party. She would show up a half hour early to everything to see if she could help. When she passed, I watched my daughter, tend to her, we had never seen my daughter do her thing. She was a medallist in her medical school class. My wife and I shook with a gigantic range of emotions seeing her mom pass, and seeing our child do what she was meant to do.

It is a revelation now, that my wife has easily stepped into her mother's shoes, and has become the matriarch of her family. I am the guy who gets to be with her. She is now the one that everyone turns to for guidance and advice. She is now the one that sends birthday and anniversary cards to the cousins, the aunts and uncles. I am humbled often by the amazing and strong women that surround me. (Did I mention, that I am in business with a woman, and even she wants my wife to come work with us as well)

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Curious about everyone’s relationship with their mother in law. You hear all the horror stories and the stereotypes about them and I guess I’m wondering how true they are. My mother in law is an amazing wife and mom and always enjoy our time together. I feel we are almost as close as me and my mom. How is your relationship?
My MIL is awesome! She and I do not think at all alike. But she is sweet, loves the tar out of all of us. She is just super. I certainly talk more with her than with my own Mom.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Mine could be a right old battle axe and nasty with it. What am I saying? She was a right old battle axe! But she loved my son her grandson so she's forgiven. :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
My MIL is awesome! She and I do not think at all alike. But she is sweet, loves the tar out of all of us. She is just super. I certainly talk more with her than with my own Mom.
Exactly the same for me, except mine isn't around any more, but she was great!

Taxman said:
It is a revelation now, that my wife has easily stepped into her mother's shoes, and has become the matriarch of her family. I am the guy who gets to be with her. She is now the one that everyone turns to for guidance and advice. She is now the one that sends birthday and anniversary cards to the cousins, the aunts and uncles. I am humbled often by the amazing and strong women that surround me.
Again, similar for me -- but my wife has now also passed, so those shoes are now worn by my daughter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Laurentium
I am so sorry for your loss. I too expect that my daughter will do what my wife has done. Our girl was extremely close to her grammy. They often shared tea after school. She is her mother's daughter, and she is my MIL through and through.

My mil shared in everything, including one real cute story. Our daughter is a high achiever. Valedictorian twice, full academic scholarship to her uni. Dean's list four years running. Honors baccalaureate. Masters degree, graduated Summa cum laude, had her degree conferred by Dr. Jane Goodall. Medical school of her choice, and residency of her choice. We never expected, she just excelled on her own. (Her kid brother did the exact same in the arts-our dinner conversations require a PhD.) So of course, the day arrives that our girl is graduating medical school. We call Mom and ask if she is up to making the trip with us (six hours away). In her mid 80's she was up for anything. My MIL was so excited. So I am standing beside my wife. Her and her mom are seated, and I am holding the video camera. They are about to walk her across the stage, when they announce, "Our silver medallist, Dr Ms. Taxman!. I watch my MIL and my wife collapse into one another, and I drop the camera. The parents around us are congratulating and slapping us on the back. My MIL was the only grandparent invited to a celebratory dinner afterward, about twenty of the grads arranged this. She spent the evening having a very animated conversation with my daughter's mentor, a magnificent mature woman, who defied the odds and authorities of her time to become an MD-PhD. (My MIL had a bare high-school education, but could converse with anyone at any level and hold her own). Once again, I am totally blessed to be surrounded by strong fearless women.

It was so funny afterward, when we returned home, we put a grad announcement in our congregation's newsletter. My MIL was bowled over by all of her friends calling to congratulate her on her brilliant granddaughter the doctor. I don't think you could have wiped the smile from her face for months following.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My mil is a crazy chain smoking hoarder that won't go outside without a dust mask on because of her allergies (dr says it's in her head). My wife and son drove 12 hours last year to see them and she was extremely annoyed by them being there. They don't speak any more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

41 - 46 of 46 Posts