Talk About Marriage banner

Who is the most famous celebrity of all time?

• Elvis Presley

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • The Beatles

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Muhammad Ali

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Marilyn Monroe

• John Wayne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Hope

• Johnny carson

• Elizabeth Taylor

• Other

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think is the most famous celebrity of all time? Who is the person who had the most influence on culture, had the most famous products(movies, songs, persona, etc.), and became a staple of our culture, thus, having a major influence. It doesn't necessarily have to be hysterical popularity, but the one that influenced us by coming into our living rooms for so many years, or drew us to the theaters or arenas year after year, and the person who everyone recognizes their name even though they may have been retired or deceased for years, or the person who changed the way things were done in their business, and it became the new norm. I have created a poll of some that I think qualify, but you may list another and tell why.

Please be objective. This is not about who "you" like best, you could actually dislike them, but still have to admit that their celebrity was far reaching.

·
Banned
2,528 Posts
I would have to say that hands down it's gotta be.....Elvis, and he is probably one of thee most impersonated people all over the world.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
On your lists I could make arguments for Elvis,Bob Hope and John Wayne.Elvis is kind of unique I think because not only was he in the forefront of R'nR,he also had a very lucrative career in movies as they were some of the most profitable of his time.Though his life came to a sad ending,he was loved by people of all ages,female and male.

John Wayne to me was a comfort to watch and still is to this day as I often throw one of his movies on when things are feeling a little negative in my life.Not surprising because as a kid I remember paying my 25 cents to sit in the theater and watch him save the day while Gabby Hayes moaned and complained about anything and everything.lol I was so happy when he finally won an Oscar...250 films over 40 years...he deserved it.His death made me sadder than any other,either before or since.

Bob Hope did it all...vaudeville...movies...singing/dancing...comedian...author...Oscar host...his USO tours and even a little boxing.He was also a rarity in Hollywood,in that he was married to his second wife Dolores for almost 70 years until his death.

So many others like Jerry Lewis,Gary Cooper,James Stewart,Clint Eastwood,Michael Jackson and on and on...and who sings a song like At Last any better than Etta James.

Sorry if I rambled and thanks for this thread.I love it!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
it would be the Beatles for me. They reintroduced Rock to the world, changed it, and then changed it again.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I voted " Other " in the poll above because while the list is a pretty impressive one, it is by no means exhaustive.
I think that Bob Marley should have been on the list because his influence on pop culture still exist almost in every continent today.
Also his influence is not limited to any particular socio economic class, or culture.
He is directly responsible for ;

1]The popularity of reggae music / reggae beats.
2]The Rastafari culture
3]The Marijuana debate

His musical lyric and liberation theology was the catalyst that caused many former colonies in Africa , South & Central America and the Caribbean to fight for their own independence.

IMO, he was the greatest celebrity without even aspiring to be a celebrity.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I voted for Marilyn Monroe. To be the most famous celebrity of all times, the person must be timeless. Out of all the celebrities listed, Marilyn has been dead the longest. Even so, she is the most widely recognized by all generations. Even my teenagers know who Marilyn was, thus passing the timeless test. Also, scandal makes a person more rememberable (unfortunately).

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I don't even know if it's true...or if they are...I just had to get a vote in for my boys :D Beatlemania is alive in this house!

·
Banned
2,528 Posts
I voted for the man who's been labeled "The King" by millions, and if you ever go to Vegas there's no doubt who is #1 there and there's even an entire museum dedicated to Elvis there. ;)

Now am I a big fan of his - no; because Elvis's heyday and huge popularity was going on when I was like 3 or 4 years old, so by the time I grew up and was buying cassette tapes he was never on my list of music.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Julius Ceasar. He shaped the entire future of human history.

Modern celebs are very specific to a generation. Elvis was huge, but musically there were others who had much more influence. Robert Johnson (born 1911 died 1938) is arguably the father of Blues, and thus the grandfather of Rock and of modern Country music. He isn't a household name but his work resonates in every home.

·
Banned
2,528 Posts
Julius Ceasar. He shaped the entire future of human history.

Modern celebs are very specific to a generation. Elvis was huge, but musically there were others who had much more influence. Robert Johnson (born 1911 died 1938) is arguably the father of Blues, and thus the grandfather of Rock and of modern Country music. He isn't a household name but his work resonates in every home.
As a fan of jazz and some blues I can agree with that, but as far as his popularity if you bring his name up you will probably here "WHO" from 75% of the people out there. ;)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I voted for the man who's been labeled "The King" by millions, and if you ever go to Vegas there's no doubt who is #1 there and there's even an entire museum dedicated to Elvis there. ;)

Now am I a big fan of his - no; because Elvis's heyday and huge popularity was going on when I was like 3 or 4 years old, so by the time I grew up and was buying cassette tapes he was never on my list of music.
I voted for Elvis as well. I don't think there is anyone who is cemented in our culture the way he is. One can see a picture of him in 1956 or the 70s, and it's Elvis. Even 35 years after his death, his image and name are still a part of our culture. It amazes me as to how many young kids immediately recognize his picture. Whether or not he invented Rock n' Roll is pointless to argue; he certainly popularized it and, for a while, almost shut other music genres down. I think everyone felt the impact of Elvis's career in the early days.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i voted for Elvis however i do think there are others like MLK and JFK who were ahead of their short time here
Sure. I guess i didn't specify, but I was just wondering about celebrities in the entertainment world. I'm sure there are people who have shaped our culture more than Elvis, but i was just going for entertainment types.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
How exactly do you measure this, by American standards? Western world sentiment? Popularity on this poll?

I recently read that Lady Gaga is the most famous person ever - if you think about pure numbers of people ever in existence that know of her this is probably correct, she is all over TV, the internet, radio, newspapers and tabloids as the worlds population is booming exponentially and access to global media is increasing more and more in the less developed world.

Do I like that Lady Gaga is the most famous person ever? no, not at all, apart from a little distraction and controversy she really hasn't offered the world much intellectual value, but who am I to criticize. I too would rather it be Elvis or Lennon, but I can't make that call.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Who do you think is the most famous celebrity of all time? Who is the person who had the most influence on culture, had the most famous products(movies, songs, persona, etc.), and became a staple of our culture, thus, having a major influence. It doesn't necessarily have to be hysterical popularity, but the one that influenced us by coming into our living rooms for so many years, or drew us to the theaters or arenas year after year, and the person who everyone recognizes their name even though they may have been retired or deceased for years, or the person who changed the way things were done in their business, and it became the new norm.
Jesus.

Hands down.

********************** | ***************************************** | ***************************************

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.