Talk About Marriage banner

381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
A friend of mine used to waitress in NY and she always claims that the worst customers ever are groups of young women and the best customers are groups of men (any age).
The women will ask for the bill and then out comes the calculator on their phones and everything is calculated to the last cent.
The men will get the bill, add the tip and then round it up to the nearest figure easily divided by the number of men in the group.
I’m sure she was exaggerating but I have heard restaurant staff saying that they hate serving a group of young women because they tip so poorly.
well. statistically they made 70 cents on the dollar of the man's salary, so maybe they have to be more frugal?.

When we go out, we ask for separate checks from the beginnings. Each of us pays separately, and tips separately. I always stick to 20-25%. If someone has a salad and one drink, and another big stakes, several drinkis, why would the other person pay for that? Many people are on the budget. Yes, they can afford night out for one person, but not to subsidise their friends.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
well. statistically they made 70 cents on the dollar of the man's salary, so maybe they have to be more frugal?.

When we go out, we ask for separate checks from the beginnings. Each of us pays separately, and tips separately. I always stick to 20-25%. If someone has a salad and one drink, and another big stakes, several drinkis, why would the other person pay for that? Many people are on the budget. Yes, they can afford night out for one person, but not to subsidise their friends.
That's because Teachers get paid like crap. And popping babies out isn't a very lucrative career move.

If it was really 70 cents, there would be a huge competitive advantage to be had by hiring all women in your company.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I think who asks for the date pays for the date. I do NOT feel that way about when friends who know each other go out to eat together, though. I think they should either take turns or get separate checks.

Once someone is seeing someone frequently, I think the woman should reciprocate some way. My way used to be "I'll buy drinks," and he would buy dinner. Traditionally, women have reciprocated by cooking dinner. Now more men cook too, so sometimes that isn't enough if he is also cooking for you.

Now remember, women on average still do not make what men make. Of course, there's exceptions. But you can't hang a woman making a third less than you with a bill if you asked her out to begin with. Many women will never offer to pay however, but if you have enough of a relationship that it's even semi-serious and are seeing each other a lot, this is a discussion you ought to be able to have or you don't have much of a relationship. If it's a sticking point between you, it's not the right person for you. But you can't ask a person out and then try to make them pay for it. They may literally have NO disposable income.

And remember that historically, providing is a legit qualification to expect out of a man. If you end up having kids together, you need to know the man can and will be able to provide for you for however long you are incapacitated.

My advice is this:
Men: If you ask her out, then you pay.

Women, reciprocate and offer to at least buy a drink once in awhile and make breakfast or dinner. Bake cookies or muffins! It's costs very little and men LOVE it. You don't have to spend a lot to make breakfast or bake cookies to reciprocate.

If you can afford it, ask HIM out and pay once in awhile. It's the thought that counts. You shouldn't have to be rigid. If you're having to keep score, it's not the right match. It shouldn't have to be 50/50. If you can't afford any of it, let him know and it's probably just not a match.

When someone else is asking you out, as long as you've been dating awhile, you should get to help pick where you eat, but what you should never do is insist on going someplace expensive without talking about it first or offering to pay for your meal.

Men and women: Don't take first dates anywhere expensive. Get a drink or go to an ice cream parlor. Don't go to a fast food place, though. It needs to be more romantic than that. I have seen so many pissed off guys because they invested too much in a first date. That isn't a good idea if you're online dating. It's only a good idea if you already know the person in real life.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Women, reciprocate and offer to at least buy a drink once in awhile and make breakfast or dinner. Bake cookies or muffins! It's costs very little and men LOVE it. You don't have to spend a lot to make breakfast or bake cookies to reciprocate.
Thinking about my cooking... this made me laugh.
Granted, I'm not in the dating world.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
When I was dating, I was young and had very limited cooking skills. But I could make breakfast! Sometimes I just brought a bottle of champagne, mainly because I was a champagne lush but I did share.

you know even a toasted cheese sandwich tastes good after a night of drinking on a date.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
When I was dating, I was young and had very limited cooking skills. But I could make breakfast! Sometimes I just brought a bottle of champagne, mainly because I was a champagne lush but I did share.

you know even a toasted cheese sandwich tastes good after a night of drinking on a date.
...I do know... as Batman has done this for me! :p
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your point is about showing consideration (or maybe it is about food)?

A while back, was at a party talking about food and cooking; friend starting paying out on me - giving me crap about my cooking skills. Like a good friend does. At the time, she was married. Very good at cooking. Knowing my husband does majority of the cooking between us, she asked what I brought to the table. I told her I had no idea! She told me I looked pretty. I should have given her the bird but laughed and said I hoped I offered more than that (for perspective, I'm not 'all that' by any means). One of the guys came over and sat next to us. Asked what we were talking about. She said 'We're working out what [hearts] brings to the table if she doesn't cook?' Within ear-shot of hubs, I asked them not to blow it for me as I was obviously getting the better end of the deal. The guy suggested I bring the vibe; which is to say, none of us knew what I brought. Friend did offer to teach me to cook... but didn't end up happening.

I shall make dinner for us this week haha. Poor guy.
Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich, too ;)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Oh I'm sure you bring plenty to the table. Personality is everything. When I was young I didn't have much time for cooking. When I was real young and during most of my dating in my twenties, I did not have hardly any money to feed anybody. Fortunately eggs and bread were cheap. It's ironic that most of my dating was it a. Of my life when I moved to a new town. and had to start all over after being fairly successful in the other town.

So I was really broke. I couldn't eat out at all. But it didn't slow down my social life any.

I had this one guy I was in love with that if I had been cooking for him he would have taken me a lot more seriously. He ended up marrying a woman who had had cooking lessons. He thought that was just great. She turned out to be a big mess but that was the big attraction at the time. I just didn't even have anything much except one Skillet and one saucepan back then. As soon as I got a better job, that was when I began cooking more and branching out.

oh now that I think about it another one of my semi boyfriends that I was in love with also went and shacked up with this lady who was a chef. So yeah I probably could have benefited if I could have afforded to cook for them something other than breakfast.

Reactions: WandaJ

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Whereas the guy I (briefly) dated before Batman, was training to be a chef and cooked for us a few times.
My husband enjoys cooking... it's not really my bag... I've had moments where I'm into it but those moments are short-lived.
Still, you have inspired me with your posts (for this week, at least).

Reactions: WandaJ
381 - 388 of 388 Posts