Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this article today and could not help but cry. It's about a man with early onset Alzheimer's (he's in his mid 50s) forgot he was married, and fell in love with his wife all over again. But there is more to the story.

"It's heartbreaking," Lisa, 54, told CNN. "We've made new memories, but it hurts because I always want to say 'Remember that one time?' I want to reminisce with him, but Peter can't remember anything now, much less what happened 20 years ago."

The couple, who have been married for 12 years, met as neighbors in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Both were married to other partners at the time and busy raising their children, but they forged a friendship and remained close until Peter's family moved to Connecticut.

After nearly a year without contact, the two reconnected when they discovered they were each going through divorces. After just one rendezvous in Harrisburg, the two quickly became inseparable and remained in an eight-year, long-distance relationship until all their children entered college"

They have been through so much and still remain in love. Makes me want to believe in soulmates..

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's a touching story. Thanks for sharing.
I think this story is another reminder that what makes us fall in love with someone is how this person makes us feel, and living their love anew brings out the beauty in this sad disease.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
It just goes to show, we are our minds and not so much our shell.

This does not become evident until the mind goes 'elsewhere', literally or figuratively.

Some people seem to flip and become someone else, some people literally fade away, leaving the shell intact.

Reactions: frusdil and Lila

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful story, but for me not evidence of 'soul mates', but of deep abiding love.
That's a touching story. Thanks for sharing.
I think this story is another reminder that what makes us fall in love with someone is how this person makes us feel, and living their love anew brings out the beauty in this sad disease.
We see so many stories of heartbreak, longing and unrequited love, it's easy to lose hope. This story is a reminder that it is not all doom and gloom.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
There are soul mates, some of them are even same-sex doppelgangers.

I had one, maybe still do.

We are but a combination of traits, of tastes, of sweets, of sourness.
If we are too alike we repel, we soon bore each other.

It is those shared common needs and wants that make us soul mates, the rest is superficial.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
We see so many stories of heartbreak, longing and unrequited love, it's easy to lose hope. This story is a reminder that it is not all doom and gloom.
Yes, thank you for this!

Hope is real, her name is Esperanza. A once, long ago, Latina GF of mine.

TJ-

The Main Stream Media and their political allies make it all doom and gloom.

Turning off the outside world, and not knowing, not seeing this chaos, can become that blessing.

Unfortunately, my eyes, my ears are glued to this spinning (of lies) of the world about us.

Are Dee-

Reactions: OnTheFly

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Well you have to wonder if meeting each others "soul mate" contributed to each others divorce, just by comparison. I mean their relationship while both were marred had the potential to be an emotional affair, who knows.

As far as soulmates go. I think emotionally healthy you have a potential to have a few soulmates in your life. All that means is you are amicable person and you have great chemistry with this other person. You have to wonder how many people who get divorce in the beginning felt they found their soulmate.

Reactions: Al_Bundy

·
Registered
458 Posts
There are many great matches out there. Being patient and true to one's self and one's feelings will help guide them to a "soulmate".

My wife is a great example for me, she checks off all of my boxes and we are just so in tune with eachother. However, I do believe there are many women who I could have met along the way that possess the same qualities, she just happened to be the one I found first, the type that I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
There are many great matches out there. Being patient and true to one's self and one's feelings will help guide them to a "soulmate".

My wife is a great example for me, she checks off all of my boxes and we are just so in tune with eachother. However, I do believe there are many women who I could have met along the way that possess the same qualities, she just happened to be the one I found first, the type that I was looking for.
'Just Happened' is that fallacy.

What is, what must be...... is what will be.

We are pawns, some comfortable, most not.

King Brian-

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
We often feel obliged to find some nice in the saddest of stories.

This is one instance.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
On the man who succumbed to Alzheimers..

I see his divorce as the beginning or that midpoint in his struggle with bad happenings

For him, there was no escape, no lasting happiness to be had.

He was doomed from the start.

We all are, to some degree.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well you have to wonder if meeting each others "soul mate" contributed to each others divorce, just by comparison. I mean their relationship while both were marred had the potential to be an emotional affair, who knows.
The cynic in me can’t help but wonder what kind of “friendship” was “forged” while they were still married? Maybe soulmates is not the correct word. Maybe, just maybe, they were affair partners instead.
Anything is possible but the way I see it, they kept the relationship alive for 8 years while living apart (long distance), and have been married for 12, the last 3 dealing with Alzheimer's. I would venture to guess that most relationships (regardless of how they may have started) would not have survived that. I think their devotion to each other is admirable and I can't take that away from them. There's is a success.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the man who succumbed to Alzheimers..

I see his divorce as the beginning or that midpoint in his struggle with bad happenings

For him, there was no escape, no lasting happiness to be had.

He was doomed from the start.

We all are, to some degree.
What makes you think that? He escaped and seems to have found happiness with his second wife.

·
Premium Member
16,531 Posts
What makes you think that? He escaped and seems to have found happiness with his second wife.
Aye, Lass, he did!
Thank Goodness!

{deleted}

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Anything is possible but the way I see it, they kept the relationship alive for 8 years while living apart (long distance), and have been married for 12, the last 3 dealing with Alzheimer's. I would venture to guess that most relationships (regardless of how they may have started) would not have survived that. I think their devotion to each other is admirable and I can't take that away from them. There's is a success.
I wonder how their ex's would see it.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder how their ex's would see it.
It doesn't matter because this story is not about their previous relationships, or their exes feelings, or infidelity, or any other assumptions you can come up with. I also didn't start this thread as an invitation to practice creative writing.

I started this thread in Life After Divorce to show those of us that have actually experienced divorce that their is hope. This is a story about two people who stuck with each other through thick and thin, and they continue to do so through a death sentence. I'm not sure if it's soulmates or something else but it is a beautiful love story. A beautiful love story without a happy ending.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts