Talk About Marriage banner

461 - 480 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
They make masks with outflow valves, so when you breathe out it all goes out the valve rather than getting backed up by the material. It will keep you cooler.

It, also, completely defeats the stated purpose of protecting others if you happen to be contagious. The mask does nothing to contain any virus in your breath. It may provide you some protection if you are very near someone else who is contagious, assuming you are changing out the masks frequently and using proper protocols not to infect yourself by touching the mask etc.
Yes. I think the most common intended use of these masks are things like protecting the wearer from dust.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Yes. I think the most common intended use of these masks are things like protecting the wearer from dust.
And I see a lot of people wearing these kinds of masks. It meets the legal requirement of a face covering but does nothing. Just like the lacy homemade mask I saw a woman wearing the other day.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
To me, the people who complain about wearing masks are just whining and they need to wear it more often until they get used to them. They need to learn how to breathe and relax. There's no reason for an anxiety attack over a mask.
Is this your advice for those with autism and sensory disorders too?

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
If someone is unable to wear a mask due to these conditions, and these are legitimate, then they should limit their time and distance in exposure. A good reason to maintain quarantine.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
And I see a lot of people wearing these kinds of masks. It meets the legal requirement of a face covering but does nothing. Just like the lacy homemade mask I saw a woman wearing the other day.
I heard that some places in CA specified they did not meet the requirement. But I bet in a bunch of other places, they do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually I work with kids with special needs. Most kids with sensory issues are not able to handle a mask. At the same time, most special kids parents are aware of those issues and more and they are trying to adapt as everyone else.

If those families are adapting then people with no special needs or underlying health conditions should not complain about a silly mask.

Do you have any sensory issues? Then talk to your doctor or therapist for advice.

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
My wife wore a mask on a bus journey. Due to lack of oxygen she fainted and it got quite scary.
She likely hyperventilated rather than ran low on oxygen. There are some folks that find mask claustrophobic and will hyperventilate in reaction to this situation. For those individuals they probably should not wear a mask. Since they make up a minority of individuals, this will not have much of a spread effect.

·
Registered
589 Posts
She likely hyperventilated rather than ran low on oxygen. There are some folks that find mask claustrophobic and will hyperventilate in reaction to this situation. For those individuals they probably should not wear a mask. Since they make up a minority of individuals, this will not have much of a spread effect.
How do you know this? This mask thing is novel to most.

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
How do you know this? This mask thing is novel to most.
I don’t know for sure, but I can tell you that a mask in and of itself is not going to restrict oxygen and carbon dioxide flow. It does change the dynamics of the flow from laminar to turbulence, but that will not stop the ability to ventilate oxygen into the lungs. It may cause a small increase (very small) in CO2 which is the main driver of central system ventilation.

·
Super Moderator
28,803 Posts
She suffers from asthma. She wasn't hyperventilating from what I could see.

·
Super Moderator
28,803 Posts
They are, but due to a statement by a very senior member of the metropolitan police by the name of CressidaDick who called on members of the public to confront and challenge people in shops or on buses who are not wearing masks, people are now subject to vigilante harassment which is very unfair.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
They are, but due to a statement by a very senior member of the metropolitan police by the name of CressidaDick who called on members of the public to confront and challenge people in shops or on buses who are not wearing masks, people are now subject to vigilante harassment which is very unfair.
Heading to a country of snitches, neighbor turning in neighbor. Bad things will happen

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Heading to a country of snitches, neighbor turning in neighbor. Bad things will happen
Hardly the first law where you can inform on someone violating it.
East Germany. Stasi. Nothing is new under the sun.
So is everyone who informs on a lawbreaker some sort of neo-Stalinist? Or just for laws you don't like?
Not even civil war, and that is where the left is doing its damnedest to drive this bus.
Straw man.

·
Premium Member
25,135 Posts
Supposing the immunity reaponse of previous covid infected persons is only 1-2 months, how will a vaccine be of any use to anyone?
We don’t know this and even though this is a novel virus, it is still a coronavirus. Of all the previous coronaviruses that affect H. sapiens, infections typically lend either seasonal or in some cases lifetime immunity. This is part of the phase 3 clinical trials, to see the effectiveness in quality, quantity and temporal aspects. The reality, we may not have all the data for this phase 3 (even though it has already started) until around Oct 2021. Does that mean we don’t have a deployable vaccine until late 2021? Not necessarily; if preliminary data shows promise they will likely push for mass production of the vaccine early and then make further recommendations for how often the vaccine needs to be administered, later.

There is also the implication, that if the vaccine is only effective for a season, that the virus may run out of viable host and thus it dies out. In this, there would be no need for boosters every season.

And, yet there is another implication - if up to 92% of the world population were follow guidelines of wearing a mask, physical distancing and avoid large gatherings that the virus may also cease to find new host. This too would cause the virus to die out. How long would this take? Likely less than a season but longer than three weeks.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I wonder how many people will actually get the Vaccine or how vigorous Government will be to get its population vaccinated. If we are only at 10-20% herd immunity right now (I believe its higher but officially anyways), that is still a long ways to 70%. Thats lots of vaccines, but also lots of people that will simply opt out due to fear/personal beliefs/skepticism.

461 - 480 of 582 Posts