Talk About Marriage banner

441 - 460 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
How about a picture of "Americans watching the greatest generation die from a disease while they are *****ing about wearing a mask".

·
Registered
713 Posts
My problem with the mask debate is there seems to be no standard for material use. It is just get a mask on whatever, it is its better than nothing. I think we are fooling ourselves into thinking they create more protection than they actually do. I have seen people with cloth masks that are almost transparent. People are making them out of bandannas that are useless. There is an industry standard for rating masks for a reason and pretty much anything rated lower than the N95 wont stop the actual virus particle. I know people will say its the moisture droplets that carry the virus we need to be concerned with but those can be pretty small as well. Add in the force of a sneeze and lets see how effective are these homemade cloth masks?

·
Premium Member
25,199 Posts
My problem with the mask debate is there seems to be no standard for material use. It is just get a mask on whatever, it is its better than nothing. I think we are fooling ourselves into thinking they create more protection than they actually do. I have seen people with cloth masks that are almost transparent. People are making them out of bandannas that are useless. There is an industry standard for rating masks for a reason and pretty much anything rated lower than the N95 wont stop the actual virus particle. I know people will say its the moisture droplets that carry the virus we need to be concerned with but those can be pretty small as well. Add in the force of a sneeze and lets see how effective are these homemade cloth masks?
There is an industry standard for clinical use, but when it comes to community associated use there is none. I would agree there needs to be better PSAs about the proper use, proper material etc use of community use of mask. But, this does not take away from the importance of using mask in blunting the community spread of this virus.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I know a gentleman that works in a very hot environment. His company required masks. They do no care what kind of masks, just has to cover the mouth and nose. He said that he and his employees could not breath in the masks in a warehouse with no air conditioning running around like crazy all day. So, they made masks out of panty hose! LOL! I'm sure that was not much protection, but at least they were able to do their jobs and not die from heat exhaustion.

·
Premium Member
25,199 Posts
I know a gentleman that works in a very hot environment. His company required masks. They do no care what kind of masks, just has to cover the mouth and nose. He said that he and his employees could not breath in the masks in a warehouse with no air conditioning running around like crazy all day. So, they made masks out of panty hose! LOL! I'm sure that was not much protection, but at least they were able to do their jobs and not die from heat exhaustion.
Not that I am judging, but I am able to workout in a non-AC gym with a mask. It really does depend on the mask type and how one wears it. I think there needs to be a great deal of education on this topic.

If we want to reduce the numbers, we all need to participate in the process.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Well, I worked 5 years as a house painter in college. On prep day, we would be 8 hours on the job sanding the side of a house covered in old paint (some it probably lead), every summer day, regardless of the temperature or the humidity. Now these were not N95 masks, only the simple dust masks you find in a Home Depot, but we managed. No one ever fainted from oxygen deprivation or heat stroke. A/C was a garden hose over the head once an hour. I am understandably skeptical of the "I cannot breath in my mask" argument.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Haha, absurdity stacked upon absurdity.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Not that I am judging, but I am able to workout in a non-AC gym with a mask. It really does depend on the mask type and how one wears it. I think there needs to be a great deal of education on this topic.

If we want to reduce the numbers, we all need to participate in the process.
I don't think you have the heat and humidity that we do in the south. Working in 98 - 100+ degree weather in a warehouse with no air conditioning with 98% humidity is not the same as working out in 85 degree weather with little to no humidity.

·
Premium Member
25,199 Posts
I don't think you have the heat and humidity that we do in the south. Working in 98 - 100+ degree weather in a warehouse with no air conditioning with 98% humidity is not the same as working out in 85 degree weather with little to no humidity.
We don’t have temps in three digits, but our humidity can be close to 90% at times. Year round it ranges between 77 - 90 F. I get it, it can be tough but there are ways to work with specific styles of mask and yet provide protection. It is doable.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I read a letter from an ER doctor who pointed out that each shift is a marathon of draining futility that poses a significant risk to his own health and life, as well as to his own family, but that he was doing it out of duty to society. But when he sees people crowding bars and whining their way out of wearing masks, he is inclined to just quit his job until after the fire burns out. The implications of a fair weather health care system are horrific, but I can't fault his logic and don't blame him.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well, I worked 5 years as a house painter in college. On prep day, we would be 8 hours on the job sanding the side of a house covered in old paint (some it probably lead), every summer day, regardless of the temperature or the humidity. Now these were not N95 masks, only the simple dust masks you find in a Home Depot, but we managed. No one ever fainted from oxygen deprivation or heat stroke. A/C was a garden hose over the head once an hour. I am understandably skeptical of the "I cannot breath in my mask" argument.
Are you sure they weren't N95? I had some masks I'd bought in a hardware store before the pandemic and upon inspection saw they were stamped "N95". I doubt the same store stocks them now, however.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
They make masks with outflow valves, so when you breathe out it all goes out the valve rather than getting backed up by the material. It will keep you cooler.

It, also, completely defeats the stated purpose of protecting others if you happen to be contagious. The mask does nothing to contain any virus in your breath. It may provide you some protection if you are very near someone else who is contagious, assuming you are changing out the masks frequently and using proper protocols not to infect yourself by touching the mask etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Doctors and nurses in the south are dealing with heat and humidity. Yes, they are indoors "enjoying" the hospital's AC but it's so freaking hard to work 8-12 hours wearing an N95 mask and they are doing it without complaining.

Some nurses don't even take their masks off during breaks depending on what they have been exposed to. Some can't even take breaks or even eat because they are so busy. They are always on the move, lifting patients, cleaning sh*t, catering patients and delivering messages. All of that without complaining.

I can't even walk down a hallway without feeling light-headed. Sometimes it's my own anxiety of having a restrictive object over my face. But I stop myself and think, if they can do it, it's only a matter of time before I can get used to them.

To me, the people who complain about wearing masks are just whining and they need to wear it more often until they get used to them. They need to learn how to breathe and relax. There's no reason for an anxiety attack over a mask.

441 - 460 of 582 Posts