Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a separate thread on mask wearing since the fact that it's an issue in the US is so different from the rest of the world. Mask wearing in other countries is generally followed by everyone without controversy.
I am providing links to independent studies and projections that CLEARLY show that masks provide significant protection from Covid-19. To me, wearing a mask is a common sense action that I can take to protect myself, my loved ones, and my fellow Americans. Obviously, others here feel differently.
Why? Why has mask wearing become a political and social issue? Why are people so distrustful of the recommendations of scientists and public health officials? This virus is going to be around for a while and we can't stay inside and keep businesses closed until it's over. So, if you are against mask wearing, what measures do you think should be taken instead?

Just how effective are masks at stopping coronavirus? Here's what new research says.
5 Questions: Stanford scientists on COVID-19 mask guidelines

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why? Why has mask wearing become a political and social issue? Why are people so distrustful of the recommendations of scientists and public health officials?
Maybe because of things like this....Only making White people wear masks? Sounds pretty political to me.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Yeah, on this I - for once - agree with you. This is the stupidest idea ever, and completely contrary to the issues, which is primarily restricting the spread of the disease.

I also think it is stupid and ignorant for people to not wear mask where social distancing is not possible, unless there are declining numbers of new infections in the locality.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Maybe because of things like this....Only making White people wear masks? Sounds pretty political to me.

Holy **** only white people are mandated to wear masks??! All non- white people are exempt?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Today on my way to work, I noticed the guy in front of me wearing a mask, but no seat belt. That's Florida for you.

I wear a mask in public and at work.

The minority no mask rule is being taken out of why it was done. It is not an exception for them because they are special, it is because many of them are terrified of being even more policed if they wear a mask. Black men are already identified wrongly as suspects, how much more so with a mask on. See this fun video I got to see today: http://instagr.am/p/CB0EZuCH8hf/

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm a brownie and I wear a mask. My husband is white and he wears a Redskins mask, lol!

Of course we wear masks. We are mindful of others who might have a compromised immune system or other medical conditions.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Idiots are always going to exist, nothing you can do about it. Those people are beyond reasoning with so it's a waste of time and effort to even try. Nothing will change their mind when they are that far gone.

I wear a mask anytime I go shopping, etc. and my kids do as well.

Recently I was standing in the self-checkout line at the pharmacy. The guy in front of me had his mask around his neck and was wearing gloves. He went up to the screen, touched all over it and scanned his items, then took one glove off, put it in his MOUTH to hold it with his teeth, got his wallet out, paid, put the glove back on and left... Yeah. See, idiots everywhere.

In NY there are plenty of idiots but most people are wearing masks. Masks are required in CT as well but very few people are wearing them, even employees. If they are wearing them, most people are using them wrong (nose sticking out, pulling them down to talk, etc). So even though masks are required in both states (when social distancing isn't possible), it's pretty hit or miss on whether people have a brain or not.

Just for the record, in Canada (or Nova Scotia and Southern Ontario at least) almost no one wears masks, even on public transport. So American's are not the only ones being dimwits, for once.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
I seem to be receiving public disapproval of my choice of masks... yet they seems to take my dollars anyway.

Even if the law says people as I am don't have to, and unless I am entering a business that requires it, I will not wear one.

I don't feel right calling those who disagree with me names though...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My WTF is seeing someone driving down the road all alone in their car wearing a mask.

The key words for me are “when social distancing is not possible”. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I take mine off in the car, but I know some people find it a hassle to take them on and off so they just keep it on until done with errands.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Absolutely! In the kitchen, in the bathroom, in the shower, when I'm sleeping, eating...you name it, Fly, I've got the mask on. :ROFLMAO:
I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck.

Unless you're strictly quarantining yourself, you could be contagious (and not know it) to those in your house for a period of time after each excursion outside.

(I just realized that I assumed you have a SO or child/children in the home, if not, disregard the above)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I would call it overly sensitive, not political. But, yeah, there's always going to be some situation in which it's carried to the extreme or their are nonsensical exceptions made. But how does that negate the need to wear a mask? People love to point to these kinds of things as some kind of proof that masks aren't needed. Nope.
As Marco Rubio said today, "everyone should just wear a damn mask." It's not that complicated.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would call it overly sensitive, not political. But, yeah, there's always going to be some situation in which it's carried to the extreme or their are nonsensical exceptions made. But how does that negate the need to wear a mask? People love to point to these kinds of things as some kind of proof that masks aren't needed. Nope.
As Marco Rubio said today, "everyone should just wear a damn mask." It's not that complicated.
Never said or even hinted they weren't needed. I was pointing out to the OP how in some cases it has become a political or social issue. Did you not read the post? The OP specifically asked why people didn't trust health officials and I gave him an example why.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck.

Unless you're strictly quarantining yourself, you could be contagious (and not know it) to those in your house for a period of time after each excursion outside.

(I just realized that I assumed you have a SO or child/children in the home, if not, disregard the above)
Hence the wearing of the mask, Fly. So as to cut down on transmission to or from anyone you may come into contact with. I do have family in the home with me, but we are all careful when we go out to socially distance when we can and to wear masks in any indoor setting. I come home, wash my hands, and live my life. No need to strickly quarantine, it's not all or nothing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never said or even hinted they weren't needed. I was pointing out to the OP how in some cases it has become a political or social issue. Did you not read the post? The OP specifically asked why people didn't trust health officials and I gave him an example why.
Point taken. I was just offering a counter argument.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No need to strictly quarantine, it's not all or nothing.
I'm confused.

(it's great that you wash your hands when coming home, but what about the droplets of virus you're breathing out which you might've picked up previously on the outside. Just saying you're all careful when outside doesn't mean much for an invisible virus.)

1 - 20 of 155 Posts