Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will have been married two years next month. We dated for 4 years before we got married and both of us are in our mid-to-late 20's. When we started dating I had just had my heart broken by another girl and my wife was there to pick up the pieces. I was never really attracted to her but we got along well and before I knew it, we were connected at the hip. Because of our backgrounds we both had decided to wait to have sex but that only lasted about a month into our relationship. We averaged once every couple of weeks, and that number slowly simmered to to once a month and that's about where it stayed till we got married. Our first year of marriage we had sex 10 times and only 4 times since last October. About a year and a half ago I came to this site looking for advice about the lack of sex and people here talked me into sitting her down and discussing it. She promised she would try harder and that lasted about 2 weeks. Ever since then the times we have had sex I haven't enjoyed it. I realized I'm not even slightly attracted to my wife any more, and about 6 months ago I came to the realization that I'm not in love with her and truthfully never have been. Since that realization I've been trying to figure out why I dated her for so long and why married her.
My wife is very high maintenance and needs to be taken care of. She has daddy/abandonment issues on top of it. And I'm the type of person who has a hard time saying no, and an extremely hard time hurting people. She is my best friend and we are comfortable together. Hurting her terrifies me but she's talking about buying a home and having kids, and knowing that I'll never be happy with her makes our future terrifying to me. I don't know what to do. I made my bed, should I lie in it?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Even bigger than the issue of sex is the fact that you say you were never attracted to her and you married her w/o loving her.

That is massive.

I don't do validation so I will be really concise here:

Get out of this marriage if you truly feel that way. Because your entire marriage and relationship has been a lie if you never loved her. I cannot think of anything more cruel or cold than marrying someone you do not love (and have them thinking otherwise).

End it now before you string her along any further and before you do something crazy like have kids and buy a home w/ someone you have never loved.

It's not fair to either of you.

Spend some time single and by all means DO NOT get involved in a relationship with someone, especially long-term if you don't love that person...especially as going as far as to marry.

********************** | ***************************************** | ***************************************

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would have thought after 4 years you would have come to this realization and it not take two years.

Jellybeans says its not fair to either one of you....well I will say that it is not far to her.

If she loves you and had planned on spending the rest of her life with you, building a family and many memories that will last forever.....you have just wasted 2 years of her life that she will never get back.

I just do not understand how it took this long.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'll stress not to even think about having kids. In fact, I would subscribe to a total sex moratorium until you decide what you're going to do. It only takes once to have a baby and then you'll be in a whole new world of problems.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Every day you stay will make it harder when you eventually leave. Tomorrow will be harder than today. When you have a kid, when you buy a house, when you buy a car, when you plan a vacation.....all of these things are creating a life together that will be more difficult to split up than it is today. If you truly hate hurting people, then hurt her less today than tomorrow.

Be a man and make this right.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I feel sorry for your wife.

But you have to end it. She deserves to be truly loved by someone.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Wait you can count how many times you have had sex?! Woah dude that is not right. Plus how can you not be attracted to her at all? I think if I try hard enough I could be attracted to almost any woman atleast some what...especially if I am not getting any...or maybe I am easy?!

Oh yeah, you have to end it. She deserves better than you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To give a little more information. She was truly my first real girlfriend and she is the best friend I've ever had. I care for her deeply. When she and I started dating I knew nothing about love, I knew I cared for her and wanted to see her happy. She was happy with me and I felt really comfortable with her. I thought that was what love was supposed to be, it didn't feel like I was doing something wrong. And no I wasn't very sexually attracted to her but our relationship didn't start by me lusting after her, it just kind of happened. We meshed well together, never fought and we were comfortable. All of our family and friends were pushing us to marry. It all just felt right. It wasn't until we had a big issue (sex frequency) that I really started evaluating our relationship. Up until that point I had no reason to doubt my feelings. I met a woman (married) through work that stirred up feelings in me that I have never had. My heart was racing, short of breath. I was instantly infatuated with her. Ive only been around her maybe twice since then but it made me realize what I should feel for my wife. And I've never felt that.
Right now my wife doesn't know any different. I bend over backwards for her, do more than enough around the house, constantly helping her with her job. I have always treated her better than most of the husbands I know treat their wives, and I fulfill her needs. I'm just not passionately in love with her. If I would have known then what I know now, we wouldn't have gotten married.

And spouses counting the amount of times they have had sex isn't uncommon if their needs aren't being met. I actually got that idea from someone on this site.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Damn. Usually I am pretty good about snuffing out an affair or a third party interference in a post but I totally dropped the ball on this one.

But of course. :rolleyes:

I met a woman (married) through work that stirred up feelings in me that I have never had. My heart was racing, short of breath. I was instantly infatuated with her. Ive only been around her maybe twice since then but it made me realize what I should feel for my wife. And I've never felt that.
If you truly never loved your wife: let her go. She deserves so much better.

********************** | ***************************************** | ***************************************

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No Im not involved with this woman and I am certain the feelings are one sided, to be honest I doubt she knows my name. If I stay she will never know any different it will just be my happiness being sacrificed. I didn't mention that my wife has some severe mental issues that she is medicated for. Part of the reason why I'm terrified to end it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Up until that point I had no reason to doubt my feelings. I met a woman (married) through work that stirred up feelings in me that I have never had. My heart was racing, short of breath. I was instantly infatuated with her. Ive only been around her maybe twice since then but it made me realize what I should feel for my wife. And I've never felt that.
sigh.........

Marriage counseling?

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
No Im not involved with this woman and I am certain the feelings are one sided, to be honest I doubt she knows my name. If I stay she will never know any different it will just be my happiness being sacrificed. I didn't mention that my wife has some severe mental issues that she is medicated for. Part of the reason why I'm terrified to end it.
Dude. You're just making excuses. Like you have the entire time you've been together. What you are doing is fvcked up. How do you think staying with her based on a LIE (the fact you don't even love her) is a loving or caring thing to do for her?

It's ICE COLD is what it is.

If you want out, go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude. You're just making excuses. Like you have the entire time you've been together. What you are doing is fvcked up. How do you think staying with her based on a LIE (the fact you don't even love her) is a loving or caring thing to do for her?

It's ICE COLD is what it is.

If you want out, go.
Because I AM who she wants and is happy with. I may not be who she NEEDS. I guess my question is: Is the pain that's it's going to cause and the ripping apart of life as the two of us know it. Worth me leaving? I understand that this is a question only I can answer, but I was looking for some open minded outside advice. What ive gotten this far is I'm a POS and I need to leave her. So that's it? No other considerations?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I didn't mention that my wife has some severe mental issues that she is medicated for. Part of the reason why I'm terrified to end it.
Okay, please stop the blame game with the "severe mental issues." If you don't want to be married to her any longer, so be it, but own it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Because I AM who she wants and is happy with. I may not be who she NEEDS. I guess my question is: Is the pain that's it's going to cause and the ripping apart of life as the two of us know it. Worth me leaving? I understand that this is a question only I can answer, but I was looking for some open minded outside advice. What ive gotten this far is I'm a POS and I need to leave her. So that's it? No other considerations?
Posted via Mobile Device
You are not a POS. You married for comfort, not passion & you now realize it was a mistake.

There is a book "To Good to Leave, To Bad to Stay" that may help you.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
If you were attracted to her, if you loved her, and just weren't getting sex enough then we would have much different advice. But there's nothing anyone can say that will make you fall in love with her. Although personally I suspect if she was laying you like tile you would fall in love pretty quickly. That's what I would tell her if she was my friend. Almost wish she was the one on here asking how to turn things around, because that's something that's possible with changes on her part. But for you to just fall in love with no change from her? Very difficult. And if you're not going to love her, then leaving is the best for both of you.

·
Banned
6,984 Posts
Okay, please stop the blame game with the "severe mental issues." If you don't want to be married to her any longer, so be it, but own it.
Come on!! She could be prone to suicide or self harm when he breaks up with her. He is worried about her physical and mental state if he does end up breaking up with her

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are not a POS. You married for comfort, not passion & you now realize it was a mistake.

There is a book "To Good to Leave, To Bad to Stay" that may help you.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll download the sample of that tonight!

WorkingOnMe- I think you're probably right. But I know she won't ever change in that department. She claims she has never had a sexual fantasy in her life and I believe her. She also admitted to me that the only reason we had sex on our wedding night and once during our honeymoon is because she knew I wanted to. I've wondered if she's ever really been in love with me or if she was just as confused as I was.

Warlock- to be a little more specific she has extreme anxiety and OCD. Two weeks ago she had a panic attack because she imagined something that could happen but hadn't actually happened. If that makes sense. She had to leave work because of it. That's where her response to something that would turn her world upside down frightens me. I've never seen any sign of hurting herself but she also hasn't been through anything this big since I've been with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Come on!! She could be prone to suicide or self harm when he breaks up with her. He is worried about her physical and mental state if he does end up breaking up with her
I've heard that BS way to often, "I am going to kill myself if you don't/do...". If she has a mental problem fine but it is not his mental problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the parent who's child commits suicide, because they were rejected for being gay, isn't partially at fault?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.