Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's news already, is anyone becoming a prepper just because?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Market or crona virus, just understanding that because of several things import are slowing down to a crawl. And other countries excess are in demand. Puts alot more stress on available commodities.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I don't like that I lost 10% of my active portfolio yesterday, but I am not worried about it going anywhere long term.

If it kills us all then I won't need that money anyway.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
As long as my portfolio continues to pay dividends, I will hold through this, and reinvest in more shares at a lower cost. All bets are off if COVID-19 isn't contained sufficiently - and the market will be my least concern.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
The market has reacted to virus/sickness in the past. Not to this degree. However, it always springs back once the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Life is far easier and less complicated when you have little money, nothing to loose and all to gain.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
The time to prepare was quite a while ago.

I'm willing to consider a complete economic collapse as a "game over" scenario. I do have my money distributed fairly widely so modest scale economic collapses are not all that bad.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The time to prepare was quite a while ago.

I'm willing to consider a complete economic collapse as a "game over" scenario. I do have my money distributed fairly widely so modest scale economic collapses are not all that bad.
Agreed, but if it a true market crash it will be worldly for sure.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I've been a modest prepper for years. As far as the market I am holding all my positions. The vast majority of my investments are in my 401k which does not have a cash option. I have good diversification and some hedging, so my hit so far is quite small, maybe 1% down from the high.

More important is to have some supplies stored. Food, water, medications, toilet paper and other niceties, keep the gas tanks full in the cars, and some cash safely stashed at home. Have one unopened container of laundry detergent, shampoo, shower soap, hand lotion, etc. Have enough to go 2 weeks without any need at all to go to the store.

If this is an EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) zombie apocalypse, you'll want defensive supplies, water treatment, a good medical kit, some alternate method of cooking (e.g. camp stove with spare fuel), candles, a solar or hand cranked radio, etc.

I think the worst case we'll have in the USA is a temporary quarantine with travel restrictions, and some shortages at stores. Basically like a major winter storm or hurricane. Be ready to be self-sufficient for a few weeks.

As far as the market, it always seems to over-react. Now is not the time to sell off, unless you are desperate for cash and have no alternate source.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Looking at a chart of the Dow and SPX, they have retraced ~62% and ~50% respectively from the gains since the uptrend beginning at the end of September. If support doesn't hold at these levels, I expect the next support level to be 26,569 for the Dow and 3,062 for the SPX. I am hoping tomorrow folks have the panic mode a bit more under control. In the meantime, I'm building a list of possible opportunities when this thing reverses.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've been a modest prepper for years. As far as the market I am holding all my positions. The vast majority of my investments are in my 401k which does not have a cash option. I have good diversification and some hedging, so my hit so far is quite small, maybe 1% down from the high.

More important is to have some supplies stored. Food, water, medications, toilet paper and other niceties, keep the gas tanks full in the cars, and some cash safely stashed at home. Have one unopened container of laundry detergent, shampoo, shower soap, hand lotion, etc. Have enough to go 2 weeks without any need at all to go to the store.

If this is an EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) zombie apocalypse, you'll want defensive supplies, water treatment, a good medical kit, some alternate method of cooking (e.g. camp stove with spare fuel), candles, a solar or hand cranked radio, etc.

I think the worst case we'll have in the USA is a temporary quarantine with travel restrictions, and some shortages at stores. Basically like a major winter storm or hurricane. Be ready to be self-sufficient for a few weeks.

As far as the market, it always seems to over-react. Now is not the time to sell off, unless you are desperate for cash and have no alternate source.
I'm curious, will your job let you just stop coming to work for a few weeks while you wait for things to get better? I'm certain mine will not. In fact, I'll be called into work for a Code Black situation. I'd need to have all that stuff at home so my kids won't starve while I'm stuck at work. I have plenty of food in my house...nothing my kids will want to eat though!! LOL

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We'll see what today brings, and how much pressure is on people's trigger finger ( the market). It's damn if you do and damn if you didn't. As far as keeping a parent away from their children I don't think that they will do as effectively as they think they can.

It would over burden the social order of things. But I think that if your in the medical field and you don't take the proper precautions of sorts. It's BS that they wouldn't protect their employees.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I'm curious, will your job let you just stop coming to work for a few weeks while you wait for things to get better? I'm certain mine will not. In fact, I'll be called into work for a Code Black situation. I'd need to have all that stuff at home so my kids won't starve while I'm stuck at work. I have plenty of food in my house...nothing my kids will want to eat though!! LOL
I'm in the travel industry, so I expect we may be forced to stay home if this virus goes pandemic in the USA. But I really don't expect that to happen. We are prepared if it does happen.

·
Premium Member
23,487 Posts
I'm in the travel industry, so I expect we may be forced to stay home if this virus goes pandemic in the USA. But I really don't expect that to happen. We are prepared if it does happen.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

Are you sure about that? An old undergraduate classmate of mine was among those let go, and he was good at what he did in preparing us for this very event. The CDC has already issued a not “if” but rather a “when” warning concerning COVID-19. Granted it has between a 2%-3% lethality, but is very contagious, especially in the early days of infection. Before a person is gravely Ill, it spreads through a persons sneeze droplets.

It is not as lethal as SARS (10% fatality), but far more contagious and less contained. In our state, there are 19 individuals being monitored and the number of ELISA kits for the general form of the Coronavirus (not COVID-19 specifically) are in short supply.

https://www.raybiotech.com/coronavirus-research-products-sars-cov-2-covid-19/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If it did happen as in China and they shut down entire cities doubt an employer would have a choice.

If they did put a city here in lock down Im curious what would utility companies and banks do about loan payments?

An American living in China married to a Chinese citizen there, said all rents, and utilities were on hold. My understanding Chinese government was going to cover them until quarantine was over.

With smart meters they can shut off power and water with flip of a switch now.

I figure if it were to get bad here they would keep it quiet until too late.

Iran and Italy are having a current 3-2% death rate respectively, by numbers they are showing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts