Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researchers say the key is a gene called aromatase. In a certain area of the brain, this gene converts testosterone to estrogen and helps the male sex drive.

Dr. Serdar Bulun says in a media release. “For the first time, we demonstrated conclusively that the conversion of testosterone to estrogen in the brain is critical to maintain full sexual activity or desire in males. Aromatase drives that.”

....While some may associate estrogen with females, study authors explain it plays a vital role in the male body too.

“Male mice partially lost interest in sex,” says Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Dr. Hong Zhao. “Aromatase is the key enzyme for estrogen production. Estrogen has functions in males and females. Testosterone has to be converted to estrogen to drive sexual desire in males.”

.....“If you knock out the aromatase gene in the brain, their sexual activity is significantly reduced. There is less frequency of mating. The male mice are not that interested,” Bulun says.

.....The Northwestern team says a low sex drive, known as hypoactive sexual desire disorder, is a common problem among men using certain antidepressants known as SSRIs. Bulun believes boosting aromatase can restore the testosterone-estrogen conversion.

For men experiencing compulsive sexual desire on the other hand, dampening this gene just like the mice may be the answer. The study cautions however, existing drugs which inhibit aromatase can cause osteoporosis, a condition causing the bones to become brittle and weak. Using this new research, Bulun says specific drugs which only target the brain area where aromatase works can avoid these side-effects......
I wonder if in a few years when an HD male asks his LD wife for sex if she smiles at him and then tells him to go take his pill, she is hoping that the new pill drops his sex drive?

At what point can a couple would different levels of sex drive be able to medically alter their natural desire so that they are matched?

I for one like to avoid any medications i don't absolutely need, so i am not sure I would jump at the opportunity to get my libido reduced.

I think that this could however be something that could help some couples deal with their differences in sex drive. Would you take such a drug if asked to by your spouse?

Article brain gene controling male sex desire[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have low testosterone and many men who have this take an aromatase inhibitor to reduce the amount of testosterone which will convert to estradiol. I do not take an AI, but did for a short time and my estradiol bottomed out (too low). When this happens, you get significant muscle aches and cramps. There are other negative impacts too - estradiol isn't just a sex hormone.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yes let’s just sedate and emasculate men so we don’t have to worry about their nasty ol’ sex drives.

In fact let’s just castrate them since we can’t rely on their responsibility to take pills.

But if they are otherwise healthy and vigorous, let’s freeze their sperm first so we can still propagate the genes we like.

We might as well make them into Stepford Husband’s that go out and bring home money, fix things around the house, change flat tires and kill spiders 🕷 but let’s make them passive and subservient and remove any innate desires and interests of their own.

Let’s call that pill Betatol and turn the world into beta boys that bring home checks, fix leaky facets but don’t have any balls of their own

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I think that this could however be something that could help some couples deal with their differences in sex drive. Would you take such a drug if asked to by your spouse?
Odds are that a drug that reduced the libido of an HD male would result in a role reversal. The wife would become HD because she didn't realize that her emotional dynamics were dependent upon being overwhelmingly desired. Once she doesn't get that she will go into estrus only to find her mate now having no libido.

Can't win for losing.

Badsanta

·
Registered
62 Posts
The drug I’m on is toughness and a side order of self control... lol. I never catch my wife as much as I like but sort of like being in a perpetual state of readiness ;)

I’d rather die than take my manliness away (the little of it I have left)!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Odds are that a drug that reduced the libido of an HD male would result in a role reversal. The wife would become HD because she didn't realize that her emotional dynamics were dependent upon being overwhelmingly desired. Once she doesn't get that she will go into estrus only to find her mate now having no libido.

Can't win for losing.

Badsanta
No, she will go in estrus for the guy at the gym/work/bar.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The drug I’m on is toughness and a side order of self control... lol. I never catch my wife as much as I like but sort of like being in a perpetual state of readiness ;)

I’d rather die than take my manliness away (the little of it I have left)!
Same.

Libido/sex drive/mojo is the antithesis of death.

When we are alive, we are sexual. We are sexual because we are alive.

At its core, sexuality is life. It is proof of being a living organism. Where there is no sexuality and desire, there is no life.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Lemme put it this way, if my partner doesn’t want to deal with my sexuality, she is free to pack up and go. I will understand and while I may be sad, I won’t be angered, bitter or resentful. I’ll help her load her stuff in the moving truck.

If she comes to me and says she no longer wants any sex in our relationship, then I will weigh options and decide whether to pack up and leave myself vs finding someone(s) on the side.

If I’m 82 and have no remaining libido myself (doubtful but possible) then I may be ok with it.

But what I will not do while I have a breath of life in me, is chemically castrate myself to make someone else more comfortable in their lack of sexual desire for me.

If someone doesn’t want to have sex with me, I understand and will respect their wishes. But I’m not going to castrate myself so they can have a beta boy that does errands around the house for them.

If you want my support and companionship in a sexually exclusive relationship, then you better be riding me like Secretariat.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
No, she will go in estrus for the guy at the gym/work/bar.
An emotional role reversal means that she can only get the needed validation from her husband. She will not go to the gym/work/bar if the husband now has no libido and passive aggressively tells her to go get it somewhere else. We all want what we can't have. We don't want a substitution for what we can't have.

How many HD spouses with a LD partner remain loyal? How many times is the LD partner the unfaithful one?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Too little estrogen and things do not work well. Too much and guy becomes a whiney and emotional.

Belly fat converts testosterone into estrogen. If you have a bit of a gut it will make your estrogen level too high and will kill your libido and make you emotional. Weight lifting will show no results and you will be unable to keep muscle mass.

Too little estrogen, things dont work quite right. It needs a balance.

I have been on an aromatase inhibitor for 10+ years to keep my estrogen levels down to normal because of the aromatizing of my testosterone into estrogen.

If you have high estrogen levels an aromatase inhibitor is a good thing. My wife would argue with you that it has lowered my drive.

·
Registered
13,532 Posts
Purposefully destroying healthy sex drive in men.......

Why??

I believe that would have severely hampered my mating chances as Mrs. Conan was in my bed less than 8 hours after meeting me and proceeded to continue the activities another 30x or so during the following week and even 29 years later starts complaining if she goes too long without getting the benefit of my sex drive.

But to each their own.....

Party on weenies but I think some of your women might be leaving.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
They will never be able to regulate to the point where they sync sex drives because at least for women, that's not all it's about. If they've lost passion for you, being loaded with hormones isn't likely to make them more horny for you, though it may make them more likely to seek sex elsewhere. Same with men, really.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
An emotional role reversal means that she can only get the needed validation from her husband. She will not go to the gym/work/bar if the husband now has no libido and passive aggressively tells her to go get it somewhere else. We all want what we can't have. We don't want a substitution for what we can't have.

How many HD spouses with a LD partner remain loyal? How many times is the LD partner the unfaithful one?
Yeah you just keep telling yourself that LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts