Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a big Cover Girl fan. The makeup is reasonable priced, has a great variety of products and I love the results. I just can't see spending $40 on foundation from brands that are sold at department stores when I can spend $6 on Cover Girl foundation and to me the quality is just as good.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I guess Cover Girl is good, I just don't like the smell of their products. I sure that they probably have fragrance free products now, but I do recall that smell in my youth and I haven't forgotten it.

For me, the beauty products I use are because my mother's skin was always flawless and beautiful. I wanted that too. It's sentimental value that I pay for, and that is priceless! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
7,479 Posts
I cleanse with pure unrefined coconut oil and raw honey. It removes every little bit of makeup leaving my skin fresh, soft, and clean. It's also cheap. (and delicious)
I moisturize with Pacifica Dreamy Youth Day & Night Face Cream and Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid.
For makeup:
Maybelline mascara
L'Oreal lipstick and eyeliner
Avon eyeliner
Terra Firma foundation, eye shadow, and blush

I love Terra Firma. Meri Cain started the company when she couldn't find makeup that worked for her. I love her products. They work well and are non-toxic. She uses simple ingredient and I don't think she adds any fragrance. I interviewed Meri and wrote a review of her company and her makeup. If you're interested in learning more, here's he link to my article: Pure Beauty at an Affordable Price | The Feminine Review: Homemaking, Family and the World

Who is "we"? You and your other logins?

Yep! Church Girl doesn't use any makeup, and guessing SMG doesn't either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could someone either pm me or post a link please? I feel like I've missed a major development.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I guess Cover Girl is good, I just don't like the smell of their products. I sure that they probably have fragrance free products now, but I do recall that smell in my youth and I haven't forgotten it.

For me, the beauty products I use are because my mother's skin was always flawless and beautiful. I wanted that too. It's sentimental value that I pay for, and that is priceless! :smile2:
Me too. And Cover Girl ALWAYS turned orange on me.

My foundation doesn't cost $40; it costs $27 or so, and it lasts forever, a lot longer than the cheaper ones that have to be thrown out because they eventually get gross and even more nasty-smelling.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Isn't it great that there are so many different brands and types of makeup, so that everyone can find the one that works best for them?!

I love Clinique lip sticks....except they are so darned expensive. The cheap ones, however dry out my lips.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What chaps me about being limited to one brand is that there are SO many brands and lines who do ONE thing so well, so fabulously. I wish I could wear some of the eyeliners from some other brands. And NARS has one of the top of the line blushes (Clinique has a color that is a dupe - short for duplicate - but still) . . . I SO wish I could still buy and wear Maybelline mascara. When I wore it in high school (I woke up with the allergies one morning when I was 21 years old, didn't always have it) I didn't NEED eyeliner and my lashes reached to my eyebrows.

My niece is a make-up artist; she and her partner run a wedding venue, and she does the make-up and her partner does the photography and then they set up for the wedding and take down . . . she uses lots of different things but likes MAC a lot, and uses Lancome for her skin care, but she's got all kinds of things in her tool box, from a smattering of different brushes to concealers to who knows what, and she knows which line produces the best of anything.

I'm generally one for brand loyalty but I used to really enjoy mixing up lines and brands when several of them had a product that just really worked well for me. Clinique's mascara is okay, and I'm grateful there's even a line that produces mascara I can wear, but I DO miss that purple and green tube of Maybelline!

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I'm a big Cover Girl fan. The makeup is reasonable priced, has a great variety of products and I love the results. I just can't see spending $40 on foundation from brands that are sold at department stores when I can spend $6 on Cover Girl foundation and to me the quality is just as good.
I very rarely use makeup, myself. I just don't see the need on a regular basis. I mean, if I am getting photos taken and I have a major blemishes that need to be covered, then I will get some. Even then, I won't spend more than a few dollars on any of them. Generally, I stick to Cover Girl, elf, or even at the dollar store. I am one who does feel "makeup is makeup". I see no difference between brands. I will acknowledge that those with sensitive skin should get what works best for them, if they use any. I have purchased the more expensive brands, but only when on sale AND if I have a coupon... and if that combo of sale + coupon is less than the price of what I normally would buy. I have also had people give me items from Revlon, Almay, Maybelline, Clinique, and other more expensive brands. In the end, I found no difference among them all, so absolutely not worth paying for the name.

Lol but I am also one who doesn't use moisturizers regularly, either. Yet, I still have to show my driver's license to prove to people I actually AM 40.

So, yes, @musicdiva, I do think that "makeup is makeup". I truly do not think it matters if you buy yoursite at Walmart or Sephora. You don't have to spend $50 on one item to look good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Who is "we"? You and your other logins?
She answered that in her original post:

For you ladies out there, who buy make up, which brands and price range do you buy? Which brands, prices, and types is the BEST and WORSE out there?

Me, I usually buy my make up from Target or Walmart, going with the basic brands like Maybelline for mascara, and other stuff like powder, my mm gets that Signature A brand, for foundation and powder.

Other than, those brand names, we don't use any other maker. So which names and price ranges do you get? Or does it not matter, because all make up is the same?
She and her mom (I assume the "o" was missing as a typo, which happens to me more often than I care to count) are the "we" in her post.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm VIB Rouge with Sephora. I like that you get a lot of free samples. I use a variety of brands.

For skin:
- Lancôme cleanser & makeup remover
- Origins moisturizers (day, night and eye)
- Caudalie exfoliater

For eyes:
- Too Faced shadow primer and eye shadows
- Bobby Brown gel liner. I use the brush to apply (honestly the best liner I've used and I've tried many)
- Dior Mascara
- Benefit eyebrow kit (I think it's called BrowZinger or something). This is an amazing buy. It lasts a long time for the price you pay.

For blush and lipstick, I use my points to get free samples. So I don't have a specific brand. I don't really wear foundation or concealer. I don't really need any.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My opinion on price point really depends on the individual. I have a mixture of high end and drug store, some of it is worth the money and some of it is just nice packaging (nothing wrong with buying something to look nice).

Just my personal preference

Lipstick - I am someone who owns 40+ lipsticks as I like to experiment depending on my mood, weather, what I am wearing etc. I chuck out lipsticks that have been hanging around awhile so there is no point in spending £50 on a Tom Ford lippy. I buy cheap and see it as disposable. (wet n wild lipsticks are amazing - but rubbish packaging).

Blush - Cheap blushers are almost always chalky, poorly pigmented and do not last long on the face. However, there are a few exceptions where I have been very surprised. Cheap cream blushers can be too oily and disappear quickly. (Sleek and Malini excellent drug store blushers).

Foundation - I alternate between estee lauder double wear and Rimmel 25 hour. Both give really good coverage but the EL DW does last longer by the end of the day. So it depends on what you expect from a foundation.

Powder - I have tried high end and cheapy cheap and there is no difference to me. I would not spend a lot on a powder

Bronzer - go high end. I have wasted so much money on rubbish bronzers that just get chucked out because they are either too shimmery or too orange. A good bronzer is Benefit Hoola. I won't buy anything else particularly as it will last me a year + so good value for money.

Eyeshadows - It depends. Cheap eyeshadows can be awful, chalky and disappear to nothing because of poor pigmentation. Many do not blend very well or are so powdery you hit pan within a week and give terrible fall out. However, I have purchased some excellent drugstore eyeshadows recently which are on a par with Urban decay and Too faced. Sleek do very good buttery, blendable eyeshadows that are very pigmented. GOSH also do some good ones as do wet n wild. It's a bit trial and error and I have also heard complaints about some high end brands being lovely packaging but powdery shadows.

Eyeliners - I chuck these every 3 months so there is little point in buying expensive ones (for me). As long as it is fairly soft but not too soft I don't care how much it costs and have a very good one which cost £1.

Mascara - I do like a high end mascara but I throw them after 3 months often with product still in them. So I buy cheap these days Rimmel and Maybelline do good mascaras. I once did one eye in Clinique and one in Rimmel and nobody could tell the difference when I asked. It was very sobering to think of how much money I had spend on mascaras over the years. Some cheap mascaras can be very poor though so there is a bit of trial and error (go on recommendations).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I use a combination of high end and drug store brands. For foundation and powder, I definitely use the higher end products. There's such a difference in quality. I used Estee Lauder mineral foundation and it has now been discontinued, so I've been trying different brands for a replacement. Makes me sick they discontinued it. Right now, I'm using a Merle Norman mineral foundation, but I don't really care for it, so I've got to try something else. Hopefully, I will find a replacement that I like as much as the EL.

For mascara, I use Diorshow, waterproof.

High end eye shadows are much better than drug store brands. The color pigments are better and they last longer.

I use drug store brand lipstick. My favorite is L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Last. L'Oreal also makes my favorite eyeliner.

Here's a hint for you ladies that use face primer: I used to belong to a beauty board that discussed and reviewed make-up. And, overwhelmingly, the face primer that received the highest reviews is not really a face primer at all. It's Monistat Chafing Gel. It's incredible. It makes your makeup glide on and last all day. Fills in large pores and small lines too. I know it sounds weird, but Ladies, you should try it. Plus, it's only around $10.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I use a combination of high end and drug store brands. For foundation and powder, I definitely use the higher end products. There's such a difference in quality. I used Estee Lauder mineral foundation and it has now been discontinued, so I've been trying different brands for a replacement. Makes me sick they discontinued it. Right now, I'm using a Merle Norman mineral foundation, but I don't really care for it, so I've got to try something else. Hopefully, I will find a replacement that I like as much as the EL.

High end eye shadows are much better than drug store brands. The color pigments are better and they last longer.

I use drug store brand lipstick. My favorite is L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Last. L'Oreal also makes my favorite eyeliner.

Here's a hint for you ladies that use face primer: I used to belong to a beauty board that discussed and reviewed make-up. And, overwhelmingly, the face primer that received the highest reviews is not really a face primer at all. It's Monistat Chafing Gel. It's incredible. It makes your makeup glide on and last all day. Fills in large pores and small lines too. I know it sounds weird, but Ladies, you should try it. Plus, it's only around $10.

@karole , Have you tried Laura Mercier mineral foundation? I use it in the summer, and always use her loose setting powder.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have heard of Urban Decay and want to try them, but they are so pricey, I don't want to spend a lot of money.
I'm a freelance makeup artist, and while UD is really good (and pricey) don't worry, there are a lot of great brands at affordable prices. In the drugstore (CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc), for eyeshadow palettes, believe it or not, Wet n Wild have some really great options. Besides that CoverGirl recently has came out with some new palettes and those are awesome as well. If you have an Ulta near you, go check out the NYX shadows, those are great quality and price as well.

MAC is higher end but their pan shadows (not in a container, just the metal pan and color - you can get a palette from them) their shadows only cost $6, which is right at drugstore prices, with GREAT quality.

If you want more recommendations, let me know. Love to help!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I'm a freelance makeup artist, and while UD is really good (and pricey) don't worry, there are a lot of great brands at affordable prices. In the drugstore (CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc), for eyeshadow palettes, believe it or not, Wet n Wild have some really great options. Besides that CoverGirl recently has came out with some new palettes and those are awesome as well. If you have an Ulta near you, go check out the NYX shadows, those are great quality and price as well.

MAC is higher end but their pan shadows (not in a container, just the metal pan and color - you can get a palette from them) their shadows only cost $6, which is right at drugstore prices, with GREAT quality.

If you want more recommendations, let me know. Love to help!
The CVS stores in my area now carry NYX.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Actually, drugstore foundations/powders have come a long ways then what they used to. Nuetrogena has a really great foundation, as well as Revlon and Physicians Formula. L'Oreal has even stepped up their game.

Eyeshadows - the same story. They have really stepped up their game.

And you are right about that primer, but MOST primers don't actually make makeup stay on longer (even though they advertise this) they just make the appearance better.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I guess everyone has their opinions, but it's been my experience that drug store brand foundation are not as good. Plus, I like to go somewhere to buy them that you can try them first to get the perfect shade for your skin tone. The times I've bought drug store foundation, I can never get the correct match for my skin tone. I wasted more money trying different foundations than I would have buying a higher end foundation to begin with.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I guess everyone has their opinions, but it's been my experience that drug store brand foundation are not as good. Plus, I like to go somewhere to buy them that you can try them first to get the perfect shade for your skin tone. The times I've bought drug store foundation, I can never get the correct match for my skin tone. I wasted more money trying different foundations than I would have buying a higher end foundation to begin with.
Some of those drug store brands also offer samples you can have mailed to you. I got a Cover Girl + Olay sample in the mail about a month or so ago. It has 6 different shades on it, though they do have 12 shades now. You can check out the samples and see how they look with your skin tone. Many others also offer samples. And those samples often come with coupons, too.

You have a point, though. We each have our own experiences with makeup. You have had bad experiences with the less expensive foundations... They have been perfect for me. The more expensive ones that I have tried have been no different from the cheaper ones. But, that's my own experience. I also don't use moisturizers. I never have. And that's something that others stress as very important to look younger. I haven't had a problem with that, so far.

I think the main thing that should be stressed, though, is that if you can't afford the higher end items, then don't buy them. If you can, and really want to spend the money, then do it. Or, you could just go without makeup, too. I said before that I very rarely wear any. In fact, my current profile picture is without makeup. Bottom line, do what works best for you because we are not all made the same. 😊

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.