Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone live with their inlaws? I am interested in what it is like, and how it affects one's marraige. Please share your stories!

Thanks,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did it in my early 20's for about a year in order to save up for a house.

Didnt work out very well due to them borrowing money all the time and never paying it back.

Kinda defeated the purpose of staying there.

Besides the money issue, there is the different lifestyle adjustments.

I am a clean freak and the house was always filthy. Anytime i cleaned up, i think they looked at it as another clean area to place random junk in.

I was so glad to get out of there, never again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did this for 9 months when we sold a house quickly and were waiting to move towns. I love my inlaws and it was better than all the years I had to live with my parents as a kid but father in law very stuck in his ways and drove me around the bend. I just kept reminding myself they were good enough to take us in, kids, dogs and all.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Does anyone live with their inlaws? I am interested in what it is like, and how it affects one's marriage. Please share your stories!
1. How well do you get along with ILs

2.What is the layout of the home? Will you have private area and bath?

3. Does your spouse have enmeshment issues surrounding family...i.e. can't set boundaries with them?

4. Are in laws working or retired? Meaning, will there ever be times that you have time to yourself, because the days of walking around in your underwear will be over.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Please don't. Not if you want to keep your marriage and your sanity. My SIL lives with us. Was supposed to be until she got on her feet. We are pushing almost 2 years. My husband and SIL act like they did when they were kids and I feel like the mother. OMG, please don't. :eek:

I took GREAT advice from those on TAM and am trying to find her a place myself. Got a good tip today.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
Here is what I have learned over the years.

Living with <insert ANYONE> changes lives and relationships within the household.

It's simple human nature.

We lived with my mother for good 10 years and also my mother in law for 2-3 months. I love them both, but living with ANYONE = complete change in the household....in time.

Inevitable conflict between them and you, and you and your partner. All kinds of drama and in the end, relationship suffers (with the person that moved in AND your relationship/marriage).

DO NOT DO IT unless it's last resort. And if you do it, set boundaries/house rules and responsibilities (payments) prior to ANY move. Go over it with them and make sure it is clear.

This will at least protect you from leeches and crappy people (one would hope)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.