Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 2820 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you put an alphabetic listing of members who are currently under 'ban' and on what date their ban would be lifted?

When a buddy is banned, it's impossible to tell if it's a 24-hour, a week, or a permanent ban.

Thanks for considering!

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
I think that would probably lead to a lot of conflict on the forum. Why was the ban to long/short.... How banned him/her. Not fair....

The list does exist for the mods to review and if a member has a specific question then you could always PM a mod and ask.

·
Premium Member
15,064 Posts
Either than the obvious ones how do people usually get banned here? Sometimes I open a thread, read a good post and find the member banned :scratchhead:

And then I go "come on, what happened?", hence I've always been curious too!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Either than the obvious ones how do people usually get banned here? Sometimes I open a thread, read a good post and find the member banned :scratchhead:

And then I go "come on, what happened?", hence I've always been curious too!
What will happen is the offending content is removed when the moderator bans them.

I've seen a few before the moderator could deal with the post and there are some doozies.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Or.....

Rather than do this, is there a way to just distinguish between someone who has been put in time out and someone who is gone for good?

Maybe listing them as "Banned" and "Permanently Banned" (or something to that effect) under their names? At least we would know the "Banned" would be returning (be it in a few days or a month). No details as to why, and no attribution to a specific mod.

Merely a thought.

Reactions: weightlifter

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
:iagree: I really like this idea. Shoot, we can even put the moderator name on there...No shame here. :D

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Nah, go with "Time out" for the temporary bans. ;)

And FrenchFry, of course naming the mod would be no problem. I mean, who's gonna cross a mod?? :whistle:

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Re: Or.....

Rather than do this, is there a way to just distinguish between someone who has been put in time out and someone who is gone for good?

Maybe listing them as "Banned" and "Permanently Banned" (or something to that effect) under their names? At least we would know the "Banned" would be returning (be it in a few days or a month). No details as to why, and no attribution to a specific mod.

Merely a thought.
The "Banned" term puzzled me for a while around here. One of the forums I was on for a long time had "Suspended" and "Banned." Suspended was a timeout, from days to weeks. Banned meant it was permanent.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts

The "Banned" term puzzled me for a while around here. One of the forums I was on for a long time had "Suspended" and "Banned." Suspended was a timeout, from days to weeks. Banned meant it was permanent.
I belonged to a forum where we used to "Gag" people for a certain period of time, rather than temporarily banning them. Semantics, I know, but I rather liked this term:D

·
Registered
7,287 Posts

I belonged to a forum where we used to "Gag" people for a certain period of time, rather than temporarily banning them. Semantics, I know, but I rather liked this term:D
Can you imagine seeing that under someone's name if they were regular in SIM? :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I got banned from a place once where they went the extra distance to direct by IP to a dead link so I couldn't even view the site.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I've been banned twice. Once, the second time, I definitely deserved it. Sorry to Diwali for being such jerk in a PM I sent you.

The first time I was banned, I used forbidden words with altered spellings. Many do it. Why my transgression was beyond the limit, I could never know because it I could not see the original posting. So, I could never review my mistake/choice.

Some very good posters were permanently banned but this could be because they decided to retire rather than appeal. I have not noticed that moderators would absolutely refuse to review a life time ban. And there were discussions that indicated that they allowed some PM'ing so that people had an emotional connection could exchange emails and remain in contact in IRL before their ban became final.

It is partly a responsibility of the participants to be tactful and keep administrative hassles to a minimum, so that the moderators don't have to spend a lot of time maintaining discipline.

I have also wondered about the banning of trolls. Should their bans include some notice so that future readers of their posts can see the poster was not necessarily honest.

1 - 20 of 2820 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.