Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not been here in a while.............

Going through a divorce right now. I have been agonizing about the life insurance. Who gets it? The oldest child? He will be 18 in January.

I have had numerous people to tell me to cancel the insurance. First of all, I can't afford to pay the premiums, but it just does not seem right to have the STBXW as the beneficiary.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
357 Posts
How many children do you have?

On some policies you can split the benificiary % wise.

Say if you have 2 kids - one can be entitled to 50% and the other the remaining 50%.

But if you can't afford the payments - why keep it?

·
Registered
620 Posts
You can't afford to keep the insurance? If so, then cancel it or reduce the amount. I would personally have a trustee set up to disburse as necessary to the children.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many children do you have?

On some policies you can split the benificiary % wise.

Say if you have 2 kids - one can be entitled to 50% and the other the remaining 50%.

But if you can't afford the payments - why keep it?
I have seven children. The oldest will turn 18 in January. That is where I am leaning, but not sure if that is the right road to travel right now.

I have asked, but my wife has shown no desire to put a halt to things (that is another story I am not willing to get into right now).

I have talked to my insurance agent about setting up the beneficiary for my oldest. I have the paperwork in hand, but am really struggling with how to go about this........

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have seven children. The oldest will turn 18 in January. That is where I am leaning, but not sure if that is the right road to travel right now.

I have asked, but my wife has shown no desire to put a halt to things (that is another story I am not willing to get into right now).

I have talked to my insurance agent about setting up the beneficiary for my oldest. I have the paperwork in hand, but am really struggling with how to go about this........
Do you have a trusted family member (on your side, of course) that can be set up as a designated trustee?

·
Registered
620 Posts
You are welcome. That is what i would do. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What we did was: My first wife is the mother of my two sons. She agreed to keep up the payments of my life policy. That way, when I die, she gets a hand up without it costing me any more money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.