Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking feedback from others who have experienced similar... First of all, I love my husband, we have similar interests, I really enjoy being with him, he is extremely kind, loving, supportive etc. The only problem is every time I want to do something for me (not us) he does something to sabotage it. I am 100% certain its not on purpose, and his actions aren't malicious, but the end result is the same. Because of his actions, I can't have hobbies or friends (I don't have a family). He says he wants me to have all these things, but it hasn't turned out so far, and I'm not asking much, just maybe one or two nights out a year where somehow I'd find friends that can accept I'd only see them once or twice a year, and do a tiny bit of art! It's been 20 years like this so the situation isn't going to change, and I've got to the stage where I feel empty of hope, and I feel I have to choose between being contented just having a life with him (which is wonderful - don't get me wrong), and doing things and having friends that could make make me more happy and fulfilled as a person. Maybe I'm being a brat and I'm not seeing how lucky I am to have a partner that tries his best to make me happy (when I'm with him), and in the grand scheme of things hobbies aren't that important and friends come and go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do all the usual stuff together, but I haven't 'gone out' or done anything for almost 2 years. I've only ever been with him or his family. Last week I wanted to go to a community event, its not something he was into, but he was totally ok with it and even started to look forward to it (it was a dress up thing - silly I know). But, then the night before, we went to his friends for dinner, he ended up drinking and staying up all night, I had to work the next day with 2hrs sleep and was to shattered and upset to go to the event. This is not the first time its happened due to this. We had a big argument, and we set in place a rule that if I wanted to do something, he needed to let me have a normal sleep the night before. To be honest he never goes out much either - but if he wanted to I would support him. So (full of hope) we we going to a bbq tonight (wow - two social outings planned in two weeks after two years doing nothing). Of course, he ended up staying up super late and I exhausted myself keeping on getting up and telling him to go to sleep. I know this probably sounds lame in comparison to others problems, but seriously - two nights in a year isnt like im living fancy-free and he knows how its making me feel about our marriage and its still happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but we live in a one bedroom cottage and I'm a light sleeper (even with ear plugs etc), we have one car, and as he's studying - only one wage, so no money for a cab. Also when he drinks (even a little bit) he sleep yells all night long, and if I wake him up (because the whole neighbourhood can hear), he doesn't properly wake up and gets super aggressive and angry and doesn't know what the heck is going on. Obviously it makes it hard just to leave him to his own devices when this happens! He's not even a tiny bit like this normally, and I've googled it its a sleep disorder that can be brought on by alcohol. He's only just now promised not to drink to prevent this, so that's a good thing, and hopefully one less thing on the list of things he can do.

·
Administrator
44,390 Posts
I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but we live in a one bedroom cottage and I'm a light sleeper (even with ear plugs etc), we have one car, and as he's studying - only one wage, so no money for a cab. Also when he drinks (even a little bit) he sleep yells all night long, and if I wake him up (because the whole neighbourhood can hear), he doesn't properly wake up and gets super aggressive and angry and doesn't know what the heck is going on. Obviously it makes it hard just to leave him to his own devices when this happens! He's not even a tiny bit like this normally, and I've googled it its a sleep disorder that can be brought on by alcohol. He's only just now promised not to drink to prevent this, so that's a good thing, and hopefully one less thing on the list of things he can do.
How often has he had these drunk events?

You now know that your husband has a problem with alcohol. So he should not drink at all.

From the outside looking in.. it looks like your husband is sabotaging you doing the things you want to do.

I know that you think he is not. But it is no coincidence that this same sort of thing happens repeatedly on the nights before you have something planned. I'm sure that he does not sit down and plot this. But subconsciously he has figured out how to keep you from having outside friends and activities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after going around in circles trying to figure out a way forward, I asked him what he would do if I 'by accident' prevented him from doing the things he loved. He said he'd leave me. I said I couldn't leave him as I loved him, but it was unfair that he was doing that to me. Long story short he just packed up and left me after 20 years. Just like that. All because I wanted to do one tiny thing for me. This has happened my whole life. My parents did a similar thing. I just feel so utterly worthless and I don't have a single person I can talk appart from this.

·
Administrator
44,390 Posts
So after going around in circles trying to figure out a way forward, I asked him what he would do if I 'by accident' prevented him from doing the things he loved. He said he'd leave me. I said I couldn't leave him as I loved him, but it was unfair that he was doing that to me. Long story short he just packed up and left me after 20 years. Just like that. All because I wanted to do one tiny thing for me. This has happened my whole life. My parents did a similar thing. I just feel so utterly worthless and I don't have a single person I can talk appart from this.
Do you mean just in the last few hours he left you?

Where did he go? Don't be surprised if he comes back.

What did your parents do? Why don't you have contact with them?

Can you get into counseling? you really need some support where you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep he just left. He's gone to his parents. My dad is very manipulative and violent. My mum is a shell of of a woman because of it and very resentful and bitter. When I tried to prevent him controlling me (even down to what make of car I could buy) suddenly I was the the worst person ever and threatened my life. So anyhow yet another depressing story. I just feel like although my father and family (they think I should contact him even after the threats because parents have a right to do whatever to their kids (even though I'm 35) and y husband have both controlled me (one is nice, one is abusive) and the second I stuck up for myself they crushed me. It's hard not to think it's me and that I'm worthless. I'm so sorry, I'm totally unloading.

·
Administrator
44,390 Posts
Yep he just left. He's gone to his parents. My dad is very manipulative and violent. My mum is a shell of of a woman because of it and very resentful and bitter. When I tried to prevent him controlling me (even down to what make of car I could buy) suddenly I was the the worst person ever and threatened my life. So anyhow yet another depressing story. I just feel like although my father and family (they think I should contact him even after the threats because parents have a right to do whatever to their kids (even though I'm 35) and y husband have both controlled me (one is nice, one is abusive) and the second I stuck up for myself they crushed me. It's hard not to think it's me and that I'm worthless. I'm so sorry, I'm totally unloading.
to clarify, are you saying that you have been married twice?

No it's not you in that you are not a bad person or worthless.

Instead you grew up in an abusive household so you did not learn to love and protect yourself.

You need to get into counseling and learn how to not allow this kind of person in your life. You can change that about yourself.

Look for a domestic abuse organization near you. they usually have low cost or no cost counseling and groups.

Also you need to build a circle of friends, a support system.

If you live in the USA look at the site Find your people - Meetup See if you can find some things on there that you enjoy so you can get out and meet people.

I'll check back with you tomorrow. Have got to get to bed.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Sounds to me like a massive mind-game, and that your husband is very threatened by the idea of you having an independent identity.

Please remember that it is not just normal, but healthy and desirable to want to maintain friendships and community ties, and to be true to your own needs and desires. Validate this in yourself; don't let anyone tell you different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback. It really helped me! Not saying life's gonna be easy, but I definitely needed the pep talk and a few home truths pointed out!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sounds to me like a massive mind-game, and that your husband is very threatened by the idea of you having an independent identity.
Please remember that it is not just normal, but healthy and desirable to want to maintain friendships and community ties, and to be true to your own needs and desires. Validate this in yourself; don't let anyone tell you different.
Yes, some of the best magic in our marriage is the mix we bring into each other’s lives.

I especially enjoy what Ms. Spin adds from her book club and library groups.

It’s perspective on life, the universe and everything that I’d never experience but for her.

Reactions: *LittleDeer*

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Think of....and LIST the positives:

No more whiskers in the sink
YOU get ALL the closet space
You can have FRIENDS
You can dig into the art!!!
etc........

·
Administrator
44,390 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. It really helped me! Not saying life's gonna be easy, but I definitely needed the pep talk and a few home truths pointed out!
Trin, I'm checking on you. How are you doing?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Trin I just read this thread. I hope you are OK.

You have been given great ideas from Ele.

You are not at all unreasonable. It's perfectly reasonable to have friends and a hobby.

He left you to manipulate you, he probably thinks you will cave and beg forgiveness. However it is he has done the wrong thing. He is such a manipulator.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.