Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear all the time, have standards, don’t lower your standards. Having standards is a reflection of self worth. If you don’t have any standards one would say negative things like your easy, desperate, have low self esteem/worth. If your standards are too high then people would say your unrealistic, high maintenance, impossible expectations, and judgmental.

So what are normal standards when dating? Has anyone ever dated someone with too low or too high of standards and what did that look like?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Has anyone ever dated someone with too low or too high of standards and what did that look like?
I had a first date with a guy I met through OLD years ago. Halfway through the date, I realized he was a bit of a sleaze. Fortunately, I always drove myself to a first date just in case things started going bad. I excused myself to go to the ladies' room, kept walking, got in my car, and drove home.

I'm not sure I know what constitutes standards that are "too high." To my way of thinking, standards are highly subjective. I live by my own standards and nobody else's. What someone thinks is unacceptable may be perfectly fine for someone else.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I think "normal" standards would fall under the umbrella of character attributes, e.g. not abusive, kind, etc. These are typically universally understood as must have attributes. The debate ensues when you get into the more superficial standards like appearance, work, etc.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people who have high standards as long as they themselves can meet them. However I lose all respect for those who can't.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Whatever our standards are, we need to date and marry someone who shares them or it will never work.
I would add to that the importance of actually knowing what those standards are, pointing out that narratives are sometimes not accurate. @Lila pointed out the importance of someone meeting their own standards. I will suggest, again, how important it is to make sure there's transparency and you're not getting fooled by a false narrative that could take years to expose itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hear all the time, have standards, don’t lower your standards. Having standards is a reflection of self worth. If you don’t have any standards one would say negative things like your easy, desperate, have low self esteem/worth. If your standards are too high then people would say your unrealistic, high maintenance, impossible expectations, and judgmental.

So what are normal standards when dating? Has anyone ever dated someone with too low or too high of standards and what did that look like?
So the "normal standards" calculus can get fairly complex. What someone brings to a relationship can cover lots of different attributes (attractiveness, economic resources / income, charm / personality, work ethic, etc) and how they are weighted tends to be different between people and between genders (IE economic contribution tends to be weighted more heavily for men while appearance tends to be weighted more for women). Ideally, you would be matched up with someone that has the same "desirability score" so no one gets resentful or lacks respect for their SO.

Some people don't seem to evaluate themselves realistically. I've seen lots of complaints on forums from women saying that they are being approached by men that aren't compatible or aren't realistic dates. Whether the men or women are wrong in their assessment, I don't know.

My ex at the beginning of the relationship would sometimes comment about how she didn't feel that she measured up or wasn't "good enough" to date me. At the end of the relationship I wasn't good enough for her. I think I was pretty steady and consistent throughout so at some point she was unrealistic.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My ex at the beginning of the relationship would sometimes comment about how she didn't feel that she measured up or wasn't "good enough" to date me. At the end of the relationship I wasn't good enough for her. I think I was pretty steady and consistent throughout so at some point she was unrealistic.
The "good enough" thing- is that simply unmet expectations? And is it reasonable to think that expectations should remain static? I think the key is how we react to changing expectations, which are bound to happen during a marriage. What was OK when you're young & stupid & have no future, may not be so a couple decades later.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Don't you just simply mean "what do you look for in a partner when dating?"

The premises behind this question need to be challenged.

>>>Having standards is a reflection of self worth.
I guess sort of like what you drive is a reflection of your financial worth?

>>>Has anyone ever dated someone with too low or too high of standards and what did that look like?
Not sure how anyone can really answer this. What does "too low" or "too high" mean? Too low or high to you or to other people? If someone you're dating breaks up with you, do you file that under "too high standards"? When is it about "standards" vs simply preferences or chemistry? If you're dating someone that you think has "too low" standards, does that mean that you think they should be dating someone "better" than you? Or are we supposed to conclude that someone has "too low" standards if they break up with you for someone who is "not as pretty" as you? Or has less money? Or whatever? How are you even supposed to know what your dating partner's "standards" really are?

So if you remove all the noise about what other people will think or worrying about how who you date will reflect on you or your self worth, etc, aren't you really just asking:

"What do you look for in a partner when dating?" How is your question any different from this?

To state it explicitly in case my point is too subtle, using the term "standard" suggests that there is a clearly defined, linear "quality" scale applied to people. I once worked in a supermarket and got to know the USDA standards for meat (Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, etc). The standard is based on clearly defined criteria. Do you mean this kind of thing being applied to people? That's the assumption/premise that sits behind your question. This is problematic and can be even be considered offensive. Sorry but the first thing that comes to mind regarding trying to apply defined quality standards to people in order to determine their worth on an objective scale is the slave trade.

Therefore, instead of trying to answer this question, I reject the premises and assumptions that sit behind it.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Some people don't seem to evaluate themselves realistically. I've seen lots of complaints on forums from women saying that they are being approached by men that aren't compatible or aren't realistic dates. Whether the men or women are wrong in their assessment, I don't know.
This is an interesting topic in and of itself. There have been lots of studies showing that men evaluate themselves less realistically than women. Everything from performance self evaluations to physical appearance has been studied and by far, men rate themselves much higher than women rate themselves.

When it comes to physical appearance, men seem to be wearing permanent rose colored glasses. The most recent study https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/social-instincts/201507/when-men-arent-good-looking-they-think showed men not only find themselves more attractive than they actually are but they find others (men and women) more attractive too.

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
This is an interesting topic in and of itself. There have been lots of studies showing that men evaluate themselves less realistically than women. Everything from performance self evaluations to physical appearance has been studied and by far, men rate themselves much higher than women rate themselves.

When it comes to physical appearance, men seem to be wearing permanent rose colored glasses. The most recent study https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/social-instincts/201507/when-men-arent-good-looking-they-think showed men not only find themselves more attractive than they actually are but they find others (men and women) more attractive too.
I actually saw an example of this with two people on a show that I can't recall.

The two were meeting off a dating sight and both were overweight, him moreso than her, and he thought she was too heavy for him.

I'm a good judge of male attractiveness and he wasn't that hot even if he had lost weight while the lady in question was definitely a spicier package.

Regardless, he was convinced that he was out of her league. I sometimes wonder if a lot of disgruntled single men aren't like this one?

I'm not just picking on men either as one of Mrs. Conan's sisters had a list of attributes she wanted in a man that looked a lot like me only taller and richer while she was terribly overweight and out of shape and always made terrible life choices. She overlooked a gentleman that had an eye for her but he was a little older and short. He was a great overall package being in great shape and financially secure. He was very kind and mature in his life decisions.

She didn't give him a second glance and, many years later, is still single, even more obese and less healthy and in worse financial shape than before because she keeps making bad decisions.

I don't get people's motivations sometimes and I'm often reminded to be thankful for finding Mrs. C.:smile2:

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Without reading further, a thought came to mind. 'course I woke up thinking about sex, tmi I know, but that's what led me to this comment so early.

Ever dated someone with too low standards?

Yes, but on purpose. One of the very early "what can I get this girl to do" moments, before I acquired a little more maturity.

As time went on, yes time to time, always kindly, considerate, but each with never a thought of an exclusive or long term relationship consideration.

There are many kinds of "standards" it would be better to know which class or set of standards being asked about.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Now that I've read through.

An additional concept to complement this inquiry; there may be better results when one looks for another with good character. Having that included descriptor connotes one that has a solid foundation that would be a good "teammate".

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
There aren't any "normal" standards... what's normal for you, it's not normal for me... when I met my future wife, she had very high standards in some aspects of life (not mine) and I had others (not hers)... so, we compromised, we married and had a very dysfunctional marriage... :laugh:

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
There aren't any "normal" standards... what's normal for you, it's not normal for me... when I met my future wife, she had very high standards in some aspects of life (not mine) and I had others (not hers)... so, we compromised, we married and had a very dysfunctional marriage... :laugh:
That's what I'm saying, in complete agreement.

Standards, or high standards, can mean many different things to many different people.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't you just simply mean "what do you look for in a partner when dating?"

The premises behind this question need to be challenged.

>>>Having standards is a reflection of self worth.

I guess sort of like what you drive is a reflection of your financial worth?

>>>Has anyone ever dated someone with too low or too high of standards and what did that look like?

Not sure how anyone can really answer this. What does "too low" or "too high" mean? Too low or high to you or to other people? If someone you're dating breaks up with you, do you file that under "too high standards"? When is it about "standards" vs simply preferences or chemistry? If you're dating someone that you think has "too low" standards, does that mean that you think they should be dating someone "better" than you? Or are we supposed to conclude that someone has "too low" standards if they break up with you for someone who is "not as pretty" as you? Or has less money? Or whatever? How are you even supposed to know what your dating partner's "standards" really are?

So if you remove all the noise about what other people will think or worrying about how who you date will reflect on you or your self worth, etc, aren't you really just asking:

"What do you look for in a partner when dating?" How is your question any different from this?

To state it explicitly in case my point is too subtle, using the term "standard" suggests that there is a clearly defined, linear "quality" scale applied to people. I once worked in a supermarket and got to know the USDA standards for meat (Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, etc). The standard is based on clearly defined criteria. Do you mean this kind of thing being applied to people? That's the assumption/premise that sits behind your question. This is problematic and can be even be considered offensive. Sorry but the first thing that comes to mind regarding trying to apply defined quality standards to people in order to determine their worth on an objective scale is the slave trade.

Therefore, instead of trying to answer this question, I reject the premises and assumptions that sit behind it.

You compared me saying standards reflect self worth with the car you drive reflecting financial worth. I disagree. Not everyone values a car, so they wouldn’t put a lot of money into it. But standards meaning... how you expect to be treated, does reflect self worth to a certain degree. Some people have little self worth they are willing to put up with abuse, and bad treatment.

What I mean about too high and too low standards is needing to be treated a certain way before you can pass go.

For example, I have a girlfriend that thinks men should treat a women they are interested in a certain way. So she needs the man to setup a date. Pay 100% the bill. Open doors, and walk her to her door etc. she is the type of women who would stand by the car door waiting for it to be opened for her. And walk back in the house if it wasn’t.

Some women have no standards. They set up the first date, are willing to keep trying to set up dates even when the guy cancels, they don’t expect the man to pay the bill, they are the ones always reaching out, they are easy to have sex with even though you didn’t have to work that hard or even be that nice. Women they essentially chase men and are happy with scrapes of effort.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I mean by standards when it comes to dating is needing to be treated a certain way before the other person can pass go so to speak. Standard of how you need to be treated to be and stay in a relationship. There’s a popular quote... you teach people how to treat you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You compared me saying standards reflect self worth with the car you drive reflecting financial worth. I disagree. Not everyone values a car, so they wouldn’t put a lot of money into it. But standards meaning... how you expect to be treated, does reflect self worth to a certain degree. Some people have little self worth they are willing to put up with abuse, and bad treatment.

What I mean about too high and too low standards is needing to be treated a certain way before you can pass go.

For example, I have a girlfriend that thinks men should treat a women they are interested in a certain way. So she needs the man to setup a date. Pay 100% the bill. Open doors, and walk her to her door etc. she is the type of women who would stand by the car door waiting for it to be opened for her. And walk back in the house if it wasn’t.

Some women have no standards. They set up the first date, are willing to keep trying to set up dates even when the guy cancels, they don’t expect the man to pay the bill, they are the ones always reaching out, they are easy to have sex with even though you didn’t have to work that hard or even be that nice. Women they essentially chase men and are happy with scrapes of effort.
The intent of my car analogy was to reflect that it's certainly not a good way to determine one's financial position. Just like "standards" are not a good way to make assumptions about someone's self worth. You're now talking about extremes of people getting treated poorly and abused which was not clear from your OP. But even staying in a relationship with someone who abuses you can be caused by a lot of different factors- not just self-worth issues (e.g. financial and other dependencies, fear for yourself and/or children, etc). If someone is getting physically abused in a relationship, then I don't think I would be worried about them having "low standards".

However, dating someone who is less attractive, overweight, less successful, or who has had problems in the past is not necessarily a reflection on your self worth. Or dating someone who treats you like a queen and caters to your every need does not indicate high self worth or "high standards", nor does the opposite indicate low self worth or "low standards". Just like what you drive is not necessarily a reflection on your financial worth.

You're giving examples of women with "no standards" which I can't relate to at all. Some women don't like a lot of fuss. Many men who go over the top in treating their wives or girlfriends like princesses in public and when things are happy are the worst ones in private and when things are difficult. Unless someone is getting mistreated or abused which is obviously wrong, it's very hard to put general rules on behavior and demeanor in terms of a rigid set of "standards".

I still don't understand why you are talking about "standards" instead of just preferences. It's not pedantic as "standards" is rigid and means hierarchy (low vs high) and needs to be defined otherwise it's meaningless. It also implies some kind of good and bad. High maintenance = "high standards"??? Woman paying the bill and calling the guy for a date = "low standards"??? According to what and whom? Acting desperate or not taking 'no' for an answer and continuing to pursue someone who says that they do not want you pursuing them is not a problem of "low standards". It's stalking or at least has the potential for stalking.

Sorry, i don't want to be argumentative but I don't really understand what you're trying to get to with this question.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I actually saw an example of this with two people on a show that I can't recall.

The two were meeting off a dating sight and both were overweight, him moreso than her, and he thought she was too heavy for him.

I'm a good judge of male attractiveness and he wasn't that hot even if he had lost weight while the lady in question was definitely a spicier package.

Regardless, he was convinced that he was out of her league. I sometimes wonder if a lot of disgruntled single men aren't like this one?
Was the girl interested in him? And was this an American show?

I'm not just picking on men either as one of Mrs. Conan's sisters had a list of attributes she wanted in a man that looked a lot like me only taller and richer while she was terribly overweight and out of shape and always made terrible life choices. She overlooked a gentleman that had an eye for her but he was a little older and short. He was a great overall package being in great shape and financially secure. He was very kind and mature in his life decisions.

She didn't give him a second glance and, many years later, is still single, even more obese and less healthy and in worse financial shape than before because she keeps making bad decisions.

I don't get people's motivations sometimes and I'm often reminded to be thankful for finding Mrs. C.<a href="http://talkaboutmarriage.com/images/TAMarriage_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:)</a>
I don't understand people like this either. I have my own standards but they are attributes that I myself bring to the table.

I had someone ask me yesterday if I would loosen up on this one particular standard if the guy was smokin' hot. My answer was simple, hotness is a depreciating commodity. Why would I give up an appreciating attribute for a depreciating one?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The intent of my car analogy was to reflect that it's certainly not a good way to determine one's financial position. Just like "standards" are not a good way to make assumptions about someone's self worth. You're now talking about extremes of people getting treated poorly and abused which was not clear from your OP. But even staying in a relationship with someone who abuses you can be caused by a lot of different factors- not just self-worth issues (e.g. financial and other dependencies, fear for yourself and/or children, etc). If someone is getting physically abused in a relationship, then I don't think I would be worried about them having "low standards".

However, dating someone who is less attractive, overweight, less successful, or who has had problems in the past is not necessarily a reflection on your self worth. Or dating someone who treats you like a queen and caters to your every need does not indicate high self worth or "high standards", nor does the opposite indicate low self worth or "low standards". Just like what you drive is not necessarily a reflection on your financial worth.

You're giving examples of women with "no standards" which I can't relate to at all. Some women don't like a lot of fuss. Many men who go over the top in treating their wives or girlfriends like princesses in public and when things are happy are the worst ones in private and when things are difficult. Unless someone is getting mistreated or abused which is obviously wrong, it's very hard to put general rules on behavior and demeanor in terms of a rigid set of "standards".

I still don't understand why you are talking about "standards" instead of just preferences. It's not pedantic as "standards" is rigid and means hierarchy (low vs high) and needs to be defined otherwise it's meaningless. It also implies some kind of good and bad. High maintenance = "high standards"??? Woman paying the bill and calling the guy for a date = "low standards"??? According to what and whom? Acting desperate or not taking 'no' for an answer and continuing to pursue someone who says that they do not want you pursuing them is not a problem of "low standards". It's stalking or at least has the potential for stalking.

Sorry, i don't want to be argumentative but I don't really understand what you're trying to get to with this question.

Standard is what I am talking about. Not preference. There is a difference and I don’t think you understand the distinction.

Do a quick google search with the differences of standards vs preferences. Preference has to do with an individual liking something and preferring something over another. I prefer men who are physically fit. I prefer men who have advance degrees. Standard has to do with quality. A base level of care/behavior. Some parents have a high standards for their kids. Some people have high standards that need to be there before anything can happen. A preference is preferring one thing over another and is not a need.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts