Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you regularly walk with your wife?

Walking together consistently is generally very good for a long term relationship.

I have noticed it is very positive for my wife and I and it turns out there have been some studies about it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I don't do walks... However, every friday we meet at a bar while our middle child is at guitar practice for a beer. She comes straight from work, and me from home. It just feels like our old dating days where there's a text wondering what bar I'm at and I get to watch her walk in that door.

It's just good for the relationship to hook up outside the home even if it is just a half-hour of sitting there talking like two adults. I look forward to it every single week.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
We walk and cycle together, chatting and stopping for a coffee. It is cheap, easy and the health benefits are great. The most important part is the bonding time :)

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SA,
Of course he does.

QUOTE=SimplyAmorous;1468687]We take walks in our back woods on occasion...it gets us out of the house, away from the kids for a little while...we love nature...it's very peaceful.. yet rejuvenating ....and he still reaches for my hand.

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is some bonding thing from doing this that is beyond just spending time together. And beyond time together without interruption.

I read this thing about Orca whales. When two of them have conflict, afterwards they swim side by side for a while. It is a bonding thing and also seems to work well for dissipating tension.

QUOTE=Holland;1469283]We walk and cycle together, chatting and stopping for a coffee. It is cheap, easy and the health benefits are great. The most important part is the bonding time :)[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Racer,
Is that a physical thing (bad knee) or just a "dislike it" thing? I like how I feel for the rest of the day after an hour walk at a good pace.

QUOTE=Racer;1468913]I don't do walks... However, every friday we meet at a bar while our middle child is at guitar practice for a beer. She comes straight from work, and me from home. It just feels like our old dating days where there's a text wondering what bar I'm at and I get to watch her walk in that door.

It's just good for the relationship to hook up outside the home even if it is just a half-hour of sitting there talking like two adults. I look forward to it every single week.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We walk just under 4 miles in an hour. Slow enough to easily talk to each other, and fast enough to feel good at the end.

I supplement with treadmill runs.

I assume you're not really talking about exercising.
We walk mostly during the late evening / nightime .
It helps to decompress , remove stress and have non sexual fun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We typically try to walk in the evenings a few times per week. Definitely helps to unwind and for us both to catch up with days events, talk about the future or anything in between.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How many of you regularly walk with your wife?

Walking together consistently is generally very good for a long term relationship.

I have noticed it is very positive for my wife and I and it turns out there have been some studies about it.
With 2 kids under 7, this rarely happens. We end up doing much more things together as a family.

Once the kids are older I'd love to do this more.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Do it all the time. Through the neighborhood, park or beach. Sometimes window shopping or through a gallery. Hand and hand when its not to fast...talking all the time. It gives us "our time". Wonderful at relieving stress between us. I agree it has to be good for a LTR.

Where did you find the studies about it, MEM?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Racer,
Is that a physical thing (bad knee) or just a "dislike it" thing? I like how I feel for the rest of the day after an hour walk at a good pace.
It's a winter thing right now. It's cold out there... :p

I would say it is a ‘dislike’ thing though. I’ve never liked jogging or long walks. If it’s physical; we have done things like exercise at home together, the pool, gardening, and so forth.

We have talked about walking the dogs though... And when the kids were little, we used to walk a lot pushing the stroller.... That was sort of a pregnancy thing though as she believed she could induce labor (and did... twice). In my mind, it had more to do with a lot of walking and the odds her water would break when you’d do it for a couple hours every night :)

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joel,
Glad to hear from you.

When my schedule was tight I used to bring 'heavy hands' on the walks. They are 5 to 8 pound dumbells which, if you swing your arms a bit, make it easy to get your heart rate up even while walking.

QUOTE=joelmacdad;1471381]We typically try to walk in the evenings a few times per week. Definitely helps to unwind and for us both to catch up with days events, talk about the future or anything in between.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like,
I have the best memories of many, many family walks. We used a mix of baby front pack, baby back pack, and stroller/dual stroller. The kids really liked it, especially the higher vantage from being in the back pack. At night the gentle rocking often put them to sleep in the front pack or the back pack.

QUOTE=likeaboss;1471472]With 2 kids under 7, this rarely happens. We end up doing much more things together as a family.

Once the kids are older I'd love to do this more.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
12,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anchor,
Walking Together -- Walking Together is Good for Your Marriage

I couldn't find a good controlled study or stats on impact of walking on divorce, satisfaction, happiness, etc.

I looked on google for a bit. There is a book on amazon:
When couples walk together,

But it seems more based on common sense and religion than statistics.

There are studies which show that doing activities you enjoy, bonds you to the person you are doing them with.

QUOTE=anchorwatch;1471976]Do it all the time. Through the neighborhood, park or beach. Sometimes window shopping or through a gallery. Hand and hand when its not to fast...talking all the time. It gives us "our time". Wonderful at relieving stress between us. I agree it has to be good for a LTR.

Where did you find the studies about it, MEM?[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.