Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone practising the law of attraction? I'm just getting into it and would like to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
No, I know some who do but it seems rather silly and there is a blame the victim kind of mentality inherent in the Law of Attraction. So your thoughts create your external reality. Ok. For example, are the people who are starving in Africa just not visualizing food hard enough? Is that why they are poor and hungry?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
SA - It's not about sex or romance. :D
The Law of Attraction is the name given to the belief that we attract positive or negative things to us by our thoughts. Law of Attraction says "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results. For example, if a person opened an envelope expecting to see a bill, then according to the law of attraction, the envelope would "confirm" those thoughts and contain a bill when opened. A person who decided to instead expect a check might, under the same law, find a check instead of a bill. More on it at the link below.

Law of attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
No, I know some who do but it seems rather silly and there is a blame the victim kind of mentality inherent in the Law of Attraction. So your thoughts create your external reality. Ok. For example, are the people who are starving in Africa just not visualizing food hard enough? Is that why they are poor and hungry?
I think its possible that perception and expectation could be the difference between being hungry and starving to death. Or possibly the difference between thinking "this is all my life will ever be" compared to "I'm going to leave this place and make a better life for myself."

Compare it to job hunting. Someone who thinks "I'm never going to get a good job" may not even APPLY for certain positions - losing out to people with lesser skills, but greater confidence.

It's made out by some to sound like a kind of magic - but I think there's a much more practical aspect to it.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
SA - It's not about sex or romance. :D
The Law of Attraction is the name given to the belief that we attract positive or negative things to us by our thoughts. Law of Attraction says "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results. For example, if a person opened an envelope expecting to see a bill, then according to the law of attraction, the envelope would "confirm" those thoughts and contain a bill when opened. A person who decided to instead expect a check might, under the same law, find a check instead of a bill. More on it at the link below.

Law of attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is completely & utterly silly to me, puts me in mind of the "Word Faith" movement in the church, little tracts put out by Charles Capps, that if we speak positively and confess with our mouths what we want to happen.. walaaa.. God will grant it....and as Coffee Amore so explained here >>
your thoughts create your external reality. Ok. For example, are the people who are starving in Africa just not visualizing food hard enough? Is that why they are poor and hungry?
... this mentality indeed blames the victim --for not getting the desired result... in religion, the person does not have "enough faith"...hence, they are not healed, didn't get that check in the mail..

Ha ha ... how nice it would be... I'd go to church & hear people ask others how they are.. .and it was like this automatic Fluff of positivity in their words (just makes people fake really).... or if someone said anything negative at all... some sister would jump up & say ...."Don't confess that, It will come upon you!!".....in my head, my
were rolling. Some things people take entirely too far.

·
Registered
723 Posts
That is completely & utterly silly to me, puts me in mind of the "Word Faith" movement in the church, .... or if someone said anything negative at all... some sister would jump up & say ...."Don't confess that, It will come upon you!!".....in my head, my
were rolling. Some things people take entirely too far.
Yep been there, heard that, got the T-Shirt & that is about all. ;)

I can understand how being positive can affect your wellbeing & impact on other parts of your life, however, I think it can be taken to extreme. When it starts being touted as the formula to success that will not fail unless you don't follow all of the principles, then it is a problem. You can bet your last dollar, someone is making a lot of money putting this out there.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Yep been there, heard that, got the T-Shirt & that is about all. ;)

I can understand how being positive can affect your wellbeing & impact on other parts of your life, however, I think it can be taken to extreme. When it starts being touted as the formula to success that will not fail unless you don't follow all of the principles, then it is a problem. You can bet your last dollar, someone is making a lot of money putting this out there.
A few of the guilty >>>

Benny Hinn
Kenneth Copeland

Fredrick Price

What does your T-shirt say Bellavista ?

·
Registered
723 Posts
'Blab it & Grab it'

(Our send up of the 'Name it & Claim it' movement). Personally, we have been out of the Pentecostal scene for about 8 years now, I went to church with my parents last weekend & was surprised to see that the prosperity speech is still happening.
Regarding Law of Attraction, my SIL is big into this, however, her way of getting what she is 'attracted' to is by trampling over anyone & anthing in her path, I cannot see that this will bring her the promised happiness in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.