Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the differences in the English language, I thought it might be fun to see how some of them play out.

For instance, if I was to say:

I have thongs outside my front door.

Would you know what I meant?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have no clue about thongs are fanny's unless your talking about panties and buts lol

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
thongs are flip flops in Oz
a fanny is a fangita over here

'mounting the sofa' caused a hoo-ha on here yesterday, it's just British slang for being a couch potato but apparently everyone thought I was literally dry humping my sofa

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lmao that's because everyone is a perv dolly!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, thongs are footwear & I have some outside every external door.

What about rooting about in the kitchen cupboards?

That one made my SIL choke when I said it to her on the phone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would say rooting was looking.

The one most never understand with me is I say " give me a STEER out of the cabinet "

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My fav is the difference in meaning for "I knocked her up" between the US and the UK.

Reactions: OldGirl

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In the UK if you knock someone up you get them out of bed. In the US you usually have to get them into bed to knock them up. But you can knock up anybody you want in Britain — how awesome is that?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My wife spent much of her childhood in Australia, while I've always lived in the US. We've moved across the country with my job, and even seen lots of local variations, but not so extreme as what she and I faced in the early years.

To her, under the weather was being drunk, but to me it was being sick. If I was perking up, it meant that I was feeling better, but to her it meant that I was throwing up. Won't even get into the reaction I got when she invited me over for dinner and I told her that I was stuffed after eating.

Took years to convince her to quit calling her windshield 'the screen'.

About the time we got each other straightened out, we moved from the south to the upper midwest. Can't say that I'm 'fixin' to do something. Can't tell the store clerk that they are out of buggys in the entrance (they're carts). You don't go to the county tag agent for new car tags ... instead you go to the DNV for plates.

I just moved again, and now I am the one who is annoyed when all of my new coworkers pronounce ambulance like ambuuuLANCE

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Why do people accuse me of being from New Zealand (not that that's a bad thing) when I use the word "shan't"? Come on, I'm a numbers person but i a dam fine contraction, live with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.