Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
In my experience, men who have a lifetime full of mature muscle, can pump it up very quickly.

Again...I'm looking at the two pics of Vin and assuming he has only taken a few months off from working out, because he still has a lot of mature muscle visible in the left picture and little body fat. His abs, to me, just look slack, not fat (over or under).

When you have mature muscle, and you've only let it go for a short time, it WANTS to come raging back, and does so very quickly.

This would not be true if you let your muscles go for a long period of time. But from the pictures, I assume Vin did not let it go very long.

My ex-h had such enormous strength and lots of mature muscle. His arms were always getting somewhat of work out from simply working on the house and staying active. But if he got house bound for a few months, they would get a little smaller, though still very large and strong. I swear to god, he could do nothing but do 50 push ups a day for a week or two and re-increase his arms size by several inches.

Again...I'm not applying these same distinctions to EVERYONE. I'm talking about when you've already got a lot of mature muscle, like Vin does.
Well, it isn't like Vin suddenly had just his biceps blow up. His entire upper body got more muscle while getting shredded. Factor in his age and how much more difficult it is for a guy as he gets older, and if Vin hoped to accomplish that in a short time frame, he had pharmaceutical help. That is all I am saying. That is not a "natural" transformation in a short amount of time, especially when factoring in age. Of course these pics are probably years apart though so our debate is a bit of a moot point :grin2:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I think you do...but I'm kind of surprised by what you are seeing in the Vin pictures versus what I am seeing.
Well, do I think a guy can go from the left pic to the right pic, yes. Can they do it in a month, especially at his age, without pharma help, no, mainly because you are talking about increasing muscle mass while simultaneously decreasing BF% significantly in a short period of time
@Faithful Wife I think we just drove everyone else away from this thread lol

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, do I think a guy can go from the left pic to the right pic, yes. Can they do it in a month, especially at his age, without pharma help, no, mainly because you are talking about increasing muscle mass while simultaneously decreasing BF% significantly in a short period of time

@Faithful Wife I think we just drove everyone else away from this thread lol
Its ok. They will be back when someone, somehow brings up red pill. :laugh:

I hear you on the steroids. I am sure you are correct.

I just have personally known a lot of men who through good genes, good diet, and a lifetime of working hard and staying active have a lot of mature muscle. I've seen them transform very quickly from out of shape (for them, which is still pretty in shape) and to their top form, many times. So while I'm sure you are right when it comes to hollywood and body builders...I think the average hunk with muscles got his naturally. ;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It is all in the shoulders for me. i can handle weight around the middle but they have to have strong, broad shoulders.

The whole dad bod thing is a crock, a soft pudgy guy is a major turn off.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I got nothing on red pill lol

Along the lines of the conversation here, and honestly I would have to ask my W, it is hard for me to say exactly how much she cares about my body. When we first met I was very lean / borderline lanky, although I did always have built/defined arms. Over the years as I got more into lifting I did bulk up, but somewhere along the way once we had kids let things get away from me. No one would say I was overweight because of how I carried my weight, going back to a few other comments here about it being important how she/he carries the weight. I just looked like a stocky dude (people would ask me if I was a cop or ex football player lol). Really though, I was overweight, even if I had muscle I still had plenty of fat lol. At no point did I think this had impacted my Ws attraction to me (but once again, I would need to ask my W and have her answer honestly).

After getting my $hit together, and fast forward to now, I have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. From a physique standpoint I am in the best shape I have ever been in. Is my W more attracted to me now b/c of this versus previously, once again, I really don't know. I know she likes to constantly make comparisons of myself vs all the other husbands she sees, but maybe that is more pride then attraction? If I think of it, maybe I will ask her, tell her my questioning is purely for TAM research :grin2:

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It is all in the shoulders for me. i can handle weight around the middle but they have to have strong, broad shoulders.

The whole dad bod thing is a crock, a soft pudgy guy is a major turn off.
In the 70's, there was a slogan men used to bandy about....No Fat Chicks. There were bumper stickers, and I even would see men with handmade signs saying this hanging in their back window.

The new slogan should be....No Dad Bods!! :grin2:

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got nothing on red pill lol

Along the lines of the conversation here, and honestly I would have to ask my W, it is hard for me to say exactly how much she cares about my body. When we first met I was very lean / borderline lanky, although I did always have built/defined arms. Over the years as I got more into lifting I did bulk up, but somewhere along the way once we had kids let things get away from me. No one would say I was overweight because of how I carried my weight, going back to a few other comments here about it being important how she/he carries the weight. I just looked like a stocky dude (people would ask me if I was a cop or ex football player lol). Really though, I was overweight, even if I had muscle I still had plenty of fat lol. At no point did I think this had impacted my Ws attraction to me (but once again, I would need to ask my W and have her answer honestly).

After getting my $hit together, and fast forward to now, I have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. From a physique standpoint I am in the best shape I have ever been in. Is my W more attracted to me now b/c of this versus previously, once again, I really don't know. I know she likes to constantly make comparisons of myself vs all the other husbands she sees, but maybe that is more pride then attraction? If I think of it, maybe I will ask her, tell her my questioning is purely for TAM research :grin2:
Please do ask her, I'd be curious!

I'm also fascinated that you don't really know. :scratchhead:

I guess I just talk too much and ask too many questions. There's no way I wouldn't know about something like this in my relationship.

Or maybe I'm just too obsessed with sex and attraction and you are normal and are not. ;)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Please do ask her, I'd be curious!

I'm also fascinated that you don't really know. :scratchhead:

I guess I just talk too much and ask too many questions. There's no way I wouldn't know about something like this in my relationship.

Or maybe I'm just too obsessed with sex and attraction and you are normal and are not. ;)
Well, if you go by the frequency of our sex life then you would have to conclude she isn't more attracted to my current physique lol.

I think the difference, in general she is a lower drive. Over the years, especially once we had kids, it has become a bit more apparent our drive mismatch. So I think with you being a high drive individual, you would make it perfectly clear to your SO your attraction to them (I believe you would agree with this?). With my W, she may very well be more attracted to me now vs. in the past (and she does say things that leads me to believe that, does brag about me at times), but actions don't quite follow words. Not sure if that makes sense, but without the actions the words can ring kinda hollow, so that is why I am not sure I could answer.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
My weight fluctuates on an annual cycle. I gain during my busy season, then lose during the climbing season. My wife definitely notices when my gut goes away. In fact she just commented on it a couple days ago.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, according to my better half, she prefers pudgy me to in shape me. The Vin pictures above are pretty close to the difference. I'm not quite as strong, but do triathlons, so not near as much upper body, but still quite strong.

She doesn't like it because of the difference in our appearance. I got in shape when we split and ended up divorced. Dropped 25 pounds, and wasn't really all that out of shape when it started. All I did during that time was work out. So, when we reconciled about a year after we split, well, reconciled isn't the right word, restarted a relationship (still divorced) she does not like the fit version of me. She says it's nice to look at, but every time I get out of the shower it's a reminder of what happened, because I only look like that because of her poor choice.

So, in our case, it's the difference in fitness more so than if she likes it or not.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Here is another question (and I guess can really be gender neutral). How many people would not like their SO to have a "great" body b/c it would bring out a lot of insecurities in themselves (i.e. their own body image, possibly concerns your SO with the great body will be more desired by others, etc...)

·
Registered
603 Posts
My H got back from a temp assignment a week or so ago. When I last saw him only 7 or so weeks and he has lost a LOT of weight. Still fit and buff but I don't care for him being this thin especially after all the weight i gained from our 7 week old. I need to lose and he needs to gain.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Here is another question (and I guess can really be gender neutral). How many people would not like their SO to have a "great" body b/c it would bring out a lot of insecurities in themselves (i.e. their own body image, possibly concerns your SO with the great body will be more desired by others, etc...)

My wife is the kind of person who can become quite cruel when she's better at something or more fit. I don't think it's the insecurities per se but I don't like being treated badly, mocked or teased because she can run a faster mile than me or because she's wearing a size 3. If she keeps her mouth shut about it then I can be happy for her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes I care. When I met my husband, he was 165lbs at 5'8 with some muscle. He looked great. Now he's 190. I would prefer he lose 15-20 lbs which he's working on. He lost it right in time for the wedding then gained it back, so I know he can do it. The doctor also mentioned he should lose weight. We're working on being more active together as a couple and eating healthier.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
So when you put it out there on the thread in the mens section "beer guts, no"....I just had to chuckle. Like, does it actually need to be said out loud that most people are not attracted to beer guts on men OR women? I still believe a lot of men who have a gut like that think that women don't care, while they definitely WOULD care if the same was on their woman.

Good body fat proportioning:

Not good:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
So attraction is important to me obviously but I am more attracted to what I perceive as intelligence and that being said a health conscious person.
This is how I am... I care about my health first and foremost. Then I care about my looks. Some people only care about the way they look so they workout and try to get a certain look/body type that they think looks good. I am attracted to health conscious people bc to me it reflects intelligence and I respect it. I am not attracted to people who care so much about the way they look, bc this reflects someone who is way to into themselves, narcissistic/materialistic/****y attitude that I find dumb. Like a "dumb jock", that is a total turn off to me.
So it's not so much male fitness so much as someone that works out, eats healthy to be healthy. I can't stand those guys that are meat heads, that are so focused on sculpting a specific part of their body, that tan, wear too much gel and stare in the mirror too much.
We don't have a scale in our house. It's not about a weight or body size I try to fit into. To me... eating healthy and being able to run a few miles a week means I am in shape enough. I don't care how In shape you look or how many muscles you have, if you can't run a 5k, to me your not healthy.

·
Super Moderator
11,715 Posts
I am right now the leanest I have ever been. For the past two months my wife has been commenting about how my butt has disappeared.

I am pretty pleased with the way things are looking at this point.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.