Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@jld has a couple of threads about men's attraction to women's bodies, based on weight/fitness. I am wondering about the women's feelings about their men's bodies.

For myself...yes, it matters. Though what I find attractive and call "hot" may not be what others view as attractive and "hot", so it is still a relative thing.

I have a cousin who is a total hard body and fitness enthusiast. She has washboard abs. She wants a guy who is at least as fit as she is. She was dating a guy for awhile who was in pretty good shape when they met but then started quickly gaining weight (apparently he had just lost a lot before they met and was then gaining it back). It all went to his gut. He retained his big biceps, thighs, and other things she liked about his body...but now he also had this gut. He had not had visible abs in the beginning but he didn't have a gut, either, so she was ok with it. He had said he was still losing and she was hopeful that his mid section would continue losing as well. The opposite happened instead. They broke up. Though it was for other reasons too, she knows she would have never been ok with him long term if he she to keep looking at that gut.

On the thread in the mens sections, @bandit.45 said "Depends on where on the anatomy the weight gain occurs. If it is distributed to the right areas I have little complaint.

Beer guts? No."

I had to chuckle because, do guys actually think that women ARE ok with beer guts on men? But yet we shouldn't expect a man to be attracted to us if we have a similar gut? Why would that be? :scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

My cousin said at one point she said something similar to her then boyfriend. He was telling her he loved her body and she was saying she wished he could get his body into better shape for her, too (after he had been gaining his gut back). He got his feelings all hurt about this. She said "well you love my body because it is so fit, why wouldn't I feel the same way? If I had a gut like you do, do you still think you would be as attracted to me?" She said she saw his face visibly cringe when he imagined her having a gut like he does. Yet....he got his feelings hurt when she wasn't attracted to HIS gut? :scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

Now...I know many women don't mind a gut on a man or a bit of softness. Many men don't mind this either. But generally speaking, it would seem that men hold women to a higher physical standard than they hold themselves, and yet don't see this as a double standard. Maybe these guys don't actually expect a woman to need to feel physical attraction anyway, or that we somehow "can't see" a huge gut? Even though, the same men most certainly would see a huge gut and find it unattractive.

Attraction matters a lot to me, and my man's physique is a huge part of this. Again I'm not my cousin. I have a healthy amount of body fat and I find a healthy amount of fat to be ok on a partner. But a "healthy amount" is very little, IMO. And a huge increase in fat weight would definitely make me loose attraction. A huge increase in muscle weight would most likely make me more attracted....though there is a line of "too much". Though my current boyfriend would never be a muscle head like that so no worries there. :)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I find that mine depends to a large extent on my own fitness/attractiveness level. If my own beer gut prevents me from shaving down there I really can't be bothered by HIS beer gut can I? But if I manage to get rid of the beer gut while his just keeps growing, well then, my feelings of attraction to him are diminished.

·
Super Moderator
5,264 Posts
I'll add more to my post when I'm back at my laptop but the simple answer is yes, I do very much care what my husband's physique looks like.

I know it's hypocritical of me but when it comes to physical attraction, I've always loved fit and muscular men (no roids /hormones). Bulky or lean.... makes no difference to me....but they must have hard(er) bodies. It's the only kind of guy I've ever dated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never said a woman should accept a beer gut on a man if she finds it unattractive. I'm not pledging a double standard.
Fair enough. Though you did have a thread here recently asking if women are into bigger men these days. A lot of women are into bigger men. But "bigger men" is one thing and can mean taller, buffer, more muscle, more overall size. If you had titled the post "are women into big beer guts these days?" I'm pretty sure you would have gotten a solid stream of "no, not so much" answers.

So when you put it out there on the thread in the mens section "beer guts, no"....I just had to chuckle. Like, does it actually need to be said out loud that most people are not attracted to beer guts on men OR women? I still believe a lot of men who have a gut like that think that women don't care, while they definitely WOULD care if the same was on their woman.

A guy who is an acquaintance of mine was back from vacation in a remote area in Oregon once, and was commenting on how all the women in the small town there were the size of buffaloes, and thus incredibly unattractive. He's married, so I don't really understand the point of talking about a lack of attraction to other women anyway? But his wife was standing right there so I guess she is just used to him needing to discuss the size and weight of other women, for whatever reason, as if he is a beauty pageant judge or auditioning for pin up girls everywhere he goes.

The guy has a beer gut of a size that it appeared he was pregnant with a 5 year old child hidden in his abdomen.

But it is his place to declare how fat and unattractive these women he doesn't know were.

I come across this kind of thing a lot. I don't think it is uncommon. Men seem to think we don't notice their beer guts. :scratchhead:

For me its the FIRST thing I notice!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It sure is relative! My DH is a big guy with a beer gut and I love it. I have a thing for barrel chested, broad shouldered, big guys. That's my hot.

DH has gained weight and it did not affect how physically attracted to him I am at all. I question how attracted to him I would be if he suddenly became Mr Universe. I am not a fan of men with washboard abs.

Like @bandit.45 my DH has said that weight gain on my end isn't a problem depending on where the weight settles. DH doesn't mind some weight gain if the weight is distributed proportionately.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I question how attracted to him I would be if he suddenly became Mr Universe. I am not a fan of men with washboard abs.
Mr. Universe is quite a difference than just some washboard abs! :surprise:

I think that weird huge body builder type of thing is just odd looking. Though I have to admit, in my youth, watching Conan movies, I imagined swinging on his arms like monkey bars more than a few times.

I've never been with anyone who has washboard abs, I think that is just a tad shy on body fat normally. Though it looks good on some people.

My cousin for instance. She simply doesn't have fat cells on her belly. She never has. When she gains weight, it is never there, always other places. So her tummy has always been flat, and then with the minimum amount of fitness her abs are visible. On her it looks so great! It isn't like she constantly has to work on it, it is natural for her because of the lack of fat cells on her torso.

I'm the opposite, when I gain weight it all goes to my mid section. Wish I could just get more boobs and hips, but that's not how I was made. Dang it!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Mr. Universe is quite a difference than just some washboard abs! :surprise:

I think that weird huge body builder type of thing is just odd looking. Though I have to admit, in my youth, watching Conan movies, I imagined swinging on his arms like monkey bars more than a few times.

I've never been with anyone who has washboard abs, I think that is just a tad shy on body fat normally. Though it looks good on some people.

My cousin for instance. She simply doesn't have fat cells on her belly. She never has. When she gains weight, it is never there, always other places. So her tummy has always been flat, and then with the minimum amount of fitness her abs are visible. On her it looks so great! It isn't like she constantly has to work on it, it is natural for her because of the lack of fat cells on her torso.

I'm the opposite, when I gain weight it all goes to my mid section. Wish I could just get more boobs and hips, but that's not how I was made. Dang it!
I'm not a fan of muscular men in general. I find the average sports/athletic build aesthetically pleasing, like looking at art, but it does nothing for me sexually, ya know?

Of course you thought about swinging from Arnold like he is a jungle gym! It's freakin Arnie! Even I would swing from his tree like limbs. Arnie and Vin Diesel are the only two men I give a pass to. >:)

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not a fan of muscular men in general. I find the average sports/athletic build aesthetically pleasing, like looking at art, but it does nothing for me sexually, ya know?

Of course you thought about swinging from Arnold like he is a jungle gym! It's freakin Arnie! Even I would swing from his tree like limbs. Arnie and Vin Diesel are the only two men I give a pass to. >:)
And don't forget.....The Rock. Nom nom. :laugh:

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which Vin Diesel? :grin2:

There is very little effort between these two pictures, actually. Maybe a month of gym time? The human body is amazing, isn't it? Fitness basically works the same on every body. It is natural to be fit and work the body a lot, that's what nature intended. Not to the extremes of Mr. Universe. But certainly, nature designed us to hunt and gather and did not create Twinkies on trees for us to eat.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
There is very little effort between these two pictures, actually. Maybe a month of gym time? The human body is amazing, isn't it? Fitness basically works the same on every body. It is natural to be fit and work the body a lot, that's what nature intended. Not to the extremes of Mr. Universe. But certainly, nature designed us to hunt and gather and did not create Twinkie trees for us to eat.
No, unless you are getting steroids involved (which the Rock, Diesel, and many others use), you are not making those changes in 1 month.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I can't pack that much muscle on in 6 months. Probably not even in 16 months.
Kinda reminds me of those women who say they don't want to lift weights or don't want to lift heavy weights because they don't want to become too bulky/muscular lol. Yeah, it is that easy, lift a few heavy weights and all of a sudden you got muscles poppin out of your arse :D

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, unless you are getting steroids involved (which the Rock, Diesel, and many others use), you are not making those changes in 1 month.
Um....really look at the 2 pictures. In the out of shape one, he doesn't have any body fat. He is just letting his abs slack completely and has a full belly. But you can see that even in that picture, if he sucked his gut in, you would see nothing but a flat stomach. When you are fit over and over like Vin is (and Arnie), you can go from out of shape to in shape fairly quickly.

I myself have done this over the years many times. When you have been more muscly for a long period of time and then let it go, it comes back really fast. That is, if you have not gained a lot of fat on top of it that hides the definition.

There's no fat hanging off Vin's gut.

Have you seen these type of stories lately? There's a lot of similar pics floating the internet.

Fitness Blogger?s Photos of 'Food Baby' Bloated Stomach Go Viral - Us Weekly

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kinda reminds me of those women who say they don't want to lift weights or don't want to lift heavy weights because they don't want to become too bulky/muscular lol. Yeah, it is that easy, lift a few heavy weights and all of a sudden you got muscles poppin out of your arse :D
Ok, let's get it straight what I was saying, though.

Vin is a muscle man and has done this thing over and over.

I am an athlete, and have a large amount of muscles that never leave me...though they do get smaller when I'm not as active. Yet, if I want to, I can get to my buffest again in no time. This has a lot to do with my diet and basic core strength as well.

So no....please do not misunderstand me.

John Goodman isn't going to go from his usual size to the second Vin picture in a month.

But Vin can.

I know a bit about fitness and nutrition. ;)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Um....really look at the 2 pictures. In the out of shape one, he doesn't have any body fat. He is just letting his abs slack completely and has a full belly. But you can see that even in that picture, if he sucked his gut in, you would see nothing but a flat stomach. When you are fit over and over like Vin is (and Arnie), you can go from out of shape to in shape fairly quickly.

I myself have done this over the years many times. When you have been more muscly for a long period of time and then let it go, it comes back really fast. That is, if you have not gained a lot of fat on top of it that hides the definition.

There's no fat hanging off Vin's gut.

Have you seen these type of stories lately? There's a lot of similar pics floating the internet.

Fitness Blogger?s Photos of 'Food Baby' Bloated Stomach Go Viral - Us Weekly
You can definitely change your look easily in a few minutes, make yourself look bloated, etc.. That is a known trick for a lot of the people who do these before/after shots (aside from lighting, skin tone, body hair, etc...)

However, he still did have a substantial amount of muscle in the right pic vs the left one. Sorry, but you aren't adding that much of a muscle mass difference while losing body fat (guessing he is sub 10% bf in the pic) in a month, especially without the help of steroids (and at his age).

I have no issues if guys in Hollywood use steroids, HGH, etc... Heck, if I was in Hollywood and my physique needed to be at a certain level to maintain or bolster my career, I would do the same thing. However, it is a shame when the average person sees this, reads about the guys diet/training regimen, follow to a T, and don't even come close to the same results (b/c there is a missing ingredient ;) )

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can definitely change your look easily in a few minutes, make yourself look bloated, etc.. That is a known trick for a lot of the people who do these before/after shots (aside from lighting, skin tone, body hair, etc...)

However, he still did have a substantial amount of muscle in the right pic vs the left one. Sorry, but you aren't adding that much of a muscle mass difference while losing body fat (guessing he is sub 10% bf in the pic) in a month, especially without the help of steroids (and at his age).

I have no issues if guys in Hollywood use steroids, HGH, etc... Heck, if I was in Hollywood and my physique needed to be at a certain level to maintain or bolster my career, I would do the same thing. However, it is a shame when the average person sees this, reads about the guys diet/training regimen, follow to a T, and don't even come close to the same results (b/c there is a missing ingredient ;) )
In my experience, men who have a lifetime full of mature muscle, can pump it up very quickly.

Again...I'm looking at the two pics of Vin and assuming he has only taken a few months off from working out, because he still has a lot of mature muscle visible in the left picture and little body fat. His abs, to me, just look slack, not fat (over or under).

When you have mature muscle, and you've only let it go for a short time, it WANTS to come raging back, and does so very quickly.

This would not be true if you let your muscles go for a long period of time. But from the pictures, I assume Vin did not let it go very long.

My ex-h had such enormous strength and lots of mature muscle. His arms were always getting somewhat of work out from simply working on the house and staying active. But if he got house bound for a few months, they would get a little smaller, though still very large and strong. I swear to god, he could do nothing but do 50 push ups a day for a week or two and re-increase his arms size by several inches.

Again...I'm not applying these same distinctions to EVERYONE. I'm talking about when you've already got a lot of mature muscle, like Vin does.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.