Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was saddened to learn of the untimely death of NBA legend Kobe Bryant, and his daughter who were lost earlier today in a terrible helicopter crash in California. Along with several other passengers!

Please remain in prayer for all of these individuals as well as their families and loved ones!

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm deeply sad for the family. They are devastated. I was really struck by the 13 year old daughter that perished with him.

Mrs. Conan and I have been praying for the family.
Saw Kobe play the Rockets in Houston a few years back ~ I'm just numbed!

Kudos to Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner for ordering the area bridges to be lit up in purple and gold to honor Kobe and the other victims and their families!

·
Premium Member
23,426 Posts

Just so sad, he and his 13 year old daughter. Much respect even though he dashed the hopes of my favorite team.

I like the tribute many NBA teams did today: right after tip off first team took a 24 second violation followed by the other team taking an 8 second back court violation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
The NBA has long been my favorite sport, and my favorite thing to watch on TV. These are the best athletes in the world in my opinion, and its really not even close.

Growing up in the era of NBA basketball I was blessed to watch, with some of the all time greats. Shaq, Duncan, Wade, KG, Iverson, Kidd, so many all time greats and of course my all time favorite player Dirk. This was Kobe's era. He was by far and away the best player in the NBA.

I remember his 81 point game well, as many NBA fans do.
This wasn't stat padding if you watched the game. Nobody else on his team could make a bucket and this was a close game until the 4th. About a month before that game however is one I even more vividly remember. A 62 point game against my Dallas Mavs. 62 points on 31 shots, and he sat out the 4th quarter because we were getting destroyed. Singlehandedly outscored the Mavs through 3 quarters 62-61. Unbelievable! He was making every shot from all over the floor. We couldn't do anything to stop him.

When Kobe was on fire, there was really nothing you could do about it. You don't even get mad either when he's lighting up your team because it was so damn impressive. These seemingly line drive 3s with so little arch, just one after the other. You sell out on the 3 point line and he could blow right past you and pull up on a dime before the backside help could get to him. You put a smaller, quicker defender on him to stay in front and he would post them up, make them look silly. There was literally nothing you could do but pray he would go cold. Just a devastating opponent, and an absolute joy to watch.

At work, you wad up a piece of paper and shoot it at the waste basket. When you make it, everyone says one word "Kobe!" while you leave your hand up in a pose after the shot. My son and his friends, when they are playing basketball, they try to do turn around fade-aways and every time they attempt this shot they yell "Kobe" and these kids have never even seen the man play.

Yesterday i was driving to my apartment and they were talking about LeBron passing Kobe on the list of all time scoring leaders. I'm listening to the interview where LeBron talked about meeting Kobe as a kid and what an inspiration he was to him growing up. I get to my apartment and do some things, get ready for work and hop back in my car. Fire it up and they are talking about Kobe again. Except this time, the news had broke. I just remember hearing them say "he leaves behind his family" and I turned up the radio. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I still can't believe it! This is so devastating.

I'll always remember staying up late, no matter how early i had to work, I wanted to see Kobe in the 4th. There was just something incredible about watching him will his team to victory. Just so clutch, and again, a heartbreakingly devastating opponent when it was your team he did it to. Like Ikaika said, that guy could rip your heart out as a fan of another team. So fun. So maddeningly frustrating to watch it happen, but still so fun. I freaking hate the Lakers so bad! It wad Kobe's greatness that caused this sports hate. Just an absolute joy to have been able to watch his career.

Every piece of trash I shoot, I'll always and forever say "Kobe!" When I make the shot. Just as countless others out there will continue to do.

Unquestionably a legend on the court, who was coming in to his own at being a legendary father. What an incredibly sad day yesterday was. My heart is still heavy with this loss and will be for a long time.

RIP Kobe Bryant. Thank you for all the wonderful memories.

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw Jerry West's and Doc Rivers' ESPN interviews late last night reminiscing Kobe ~ They both brought me to sheer tears!

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
It's sad when someone's life is cut short.

It's more sad when someone is young, and much more so when a child.

It's also extremely sad that 7 others are only "7 others"

They likely did not live like kings for the last 20 years or so.
A lot of time the reporting like this as far as "7 others" is out of respect and at the request of those families and their privacy. I don't believe it is meant to be in any way disrespectful. They are being mentioned with every report I read and listen to which is in honor of their loss as well. If it were some of my family members on that helicopter, I wouldn't want their names mentioned all over the place in print or on the news either. Extended family has a right to learn about their relative's tragic deaths through family members. Not some social media post. These things are kept private for good reason.

Public figures particularly at the iconic level that Kobe was, a global icon we watched grow up in front of our eyes from age 17-41, it is going to be public news. To many of us, just having watched this kid grow up before our eyes, it feels a lot like losing a family member. Millions of people are in mourning together over this loss, but the lives of the 7 others aren't forgotten and have been a source of reflection in this time as well. They and their families have been an inspiration for a lot of prayer over the last 24 hours. We don't need to know their names for any of that.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see that the Lakers and Clippers have temporarily cancelled their NBA game tonight at Staples Center!

Good move! I can only wish that more NBA teams would honor Kobe by making that move!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I see that the Lakers and Clippers have temporarily cancelled their NBA game tonight at Staples Center!

Good move! I can only wish that more NBA teams would honor Kobe by making that move!
I don’t. I am enjoying all of the tributes from all of the other teams. I’m glad the LA games were postponed.

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish that I were in position to make it down to Houston's Toyota Center for the tribute that the Rockets organization has planned for Kobe and the crash victims!

I think that they're planning it to coincide with the Lakers next appearance in Houston!

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Saw Jerry West's and Doc Rivers' ESPN interviews late last night reminiscing Kobe ~ They both brought me to sheer tears!
Arb, my moms oldest brother played against Jerry West in 1956. My uncles teammate was a fellow named “King” Kelly Coleman’s on Kentucky all stars. He kicked Jerry’s arse, however, my uncle said West was a nice guy. Kentucky all stars beat West Virginia :smile2:

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arb, my moms oldest brother played against Jerry West in 1956. My uncles teammate was a fellow named “King” Kelly Coleman’s on Kentucky all stars. He kicked Jerry’s arse, however, my uncle said West was a nice guy. Kentucky all stars beat West Virginia :smile2:
Jerry is not only a great former pro and collegiate athlete but also a good-hearted, unegotistical, God-loving man!

It would serve us all well to try to just find only a remote piece of Jerry West's heart and compassion in each of us!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts